Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Action Outdoors / UCPA Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi There,

I am from Canada and am planning a trip to Europe in late March 2015, one of the things I'm planning to do is go skiing with UCPA for a few days. In particular I'm thinking of doing the 4 day Off-piste course at Val D'Isere. Has anyone done this course or a similar one before? And if so, how did you book it? I'm looking at both the UCPA website (in French) and the Action Outdoors website, and am noticing a rather drastic price difference between the two websites:

The French UCPA website offers the course for €485: http://www.ucpa-vacances.com/sejour/SFAVISN90-break-4-jours-ski-hors-piste-ski-hors-piste-val-d-isere/participants/18-55/

Action Outdoors offers the course for €540: https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?ActivityID=9354

I should also add if I switch to British pounds the Action Outdoors goes to £466, making it even more expensive as this doesn't seem to match the exchange rate :/.

Does anyone know why the action outdoors website is drastically more expensive? My french skills aren't the best so I'd prefer to keep my correspondence in English, but for the savings in price I think it might be worth it to book with UCPA. I tried looking at the British version of the UCPA website (UCPA.co.uk) but can't seem to find this activity there.

Anyone have experience with either website and know what my best option here is?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jokurr, I went to UCPA Flaine a few years back and booked with Action Outdoors. I think they charge slightly more as you get 4 nights accommodation with AO as opposed to 3 nights if booking directly with UCPA. €55 might seem a lot for an extra night but it is good value as it includes the evening meal and - most importantly - means you can get a full day skiing on the first day (up, breakfast and out) whereas those booking with UCPA will still be arriving while you're skiing (there's no instruction on the first day but all the lift passes and kit are valid from first lift, day one).

If you book through UCPA you can't get your room until 5pm on that first day. With flight timings, transfers etc (about 3 hrs from Geneva) you would be unlikely to get much skiing on the first day. So, for a short trip I would say you want to get the most ski time - hence Action Outdoors would be my preferred means of booking. The extra cost is ultimately worth it.

I really enjoyed my trip and found the whole package spot on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah ok, so it is for the extra night? I noticed there was a quick blurb on the French website that said if you plan on arriving the day before, show up after 6pm, but it didn't mention what (if any) extra cost would apply. As I plan to fly into Geneva the day before I should probably book with Action Outdoors then.

Though I still don't understand why switiching between euros and pounds is not matching the exchange rate. Google is telling me €1 is worth £0.80, so €540 should work out to £432, not £466? Guess I should book it in euros.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jokurr, Price difference definitely for the extra night. I couldn't see a price on the French site either for the extra night but I did see a 2 night stay on the UCPA site was about €62 cheaper so Action Outdoors' extra night cost is about right. I really can't answer on the exchange rate as the £ is stronger against the € than it has been for ages and they don't seem to be passing on that saving to you. I guess they have a fixed exchange rate throughout the season so some you win, some you lose.

Only other problem if you pay in € is that you pay bank charges when using non Euro bank cards which will bring the two prices more in line. They got you by the curlies either way !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find action outdoors is always a little more expensive. But then there are codes floating around for £10 which helps a bit. Its possible to add the extra night when booking with the UCPA direct. No real difference in what you get (other then with action outdoors they usually put you in a room with other english speakers (if any) but not when you book with ucpa)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in val thorens ucpa in April. I booked with action outdoors and was put in room with English speaking people. I was told that if I had booked with ucpa I would have been in with French speakers. You might want to bear this in mind
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have done the off piste course in Chamonix, and heading back this year. Provided your fit, you'll enjoy it. As your asking... Worth doing some reasonable cardio work, runs etc... Most guests are mid twenties, and generally athletic. Check how big the courses are, at cham they split you into multiple groups so easier to find the one to suit your skill. Its all good tho!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive done
Les Deux alps
Tignes
Les Arcs
Hoping to go to flaine in december. Big thumps up for me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the responses. I'm now booked with Action Outdoors at Val D'Isere at the end of March. Can't wait!

I am an active and fit guy, and have quite a bit of experience skiing here in North America so the course should be fine for me Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never been to the ucpa there but great skiing in whole area (from Tignes on psbs) but I found the one in val thorens great value and quality. SP2015 is a £10 discount code for action outdoors for this year. If it's not too late!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One thing to consider is adjusting your flights. If you fly into Paris, you can get the sleeper train and arrive in Bourg St Maurice at 0730. Get the Altibus from the station up to Val d'Isere and you will have a full day's skiing (you can leave your bags in the UCPA reception area), same on the return day as there is a train at about 2000.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, the exchange rates online (xe.com etc) are mid-market rates, not actual buy/sell rates. No-one (like, not even the Bank of England!) can change money at that rate so any business doing cross-currency transactions will have to add in a small %age for actual rates, plus an allowance for currency variation (the £ has climbed significantly against the € recently, so prices set even a few weeks ago might now seem harsh).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy