Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens in Early December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

me and my mates are looking at booking our first group holiday to Val Thorens, our budget is quite tight so we saw the prices around the 7th of december to be significantly cheaper, we can only assume it's due to the bad snow conditions.

Has anyone ever been to Val Thorens in early December and if so, can you tell us if it's worth it or not?

Thanks guys
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't comment on the snow then, but lifts open 22nd Nov so I would expect snow should be ok. Rest of 3v's opens 5th Dec apart from the lower resorts
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

it's due to the bad snow conditions.

or more like "less chance of good snow conditions than later in the year". Also the resort won't be fully open, few bums on seats, so the operators have to respond to elasticity of demand!

It's a slight gamble, but you'd be unlucky not to have some fun snow to play in.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it's due to the bad snow conditions.

or more like "less chance of good snow conditions than later in the year". Also the resort won't be fully open, few bums on seats, so the operators have to respond to elasticity of demand!

It's a slight gamble, but you'd be unlucky not to have some fun snow to play in.

When you say "The resort won't fully be open", what part's of the resort won't be?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
When you say "The resort won't fully be open", what part's of the resort won't be?
I've skied about 5 or 6 times in the last 7 years in VT in early season. That's usually been around the opening weekend in late November and usually for a few days in conjunction with a two centre trip including Tignes. We have always found enough open to keep us entertained and never had a no snow situation. It's difficult to answer the above question though, as it depends entirely on snow conditions - BUT they do tend to open all of the main areas of the slopes, using a few lifts here and a few lifts there, from opening day onwards. So while all runs and lifts may not be open, you would generally be able to cover all of the different parts of the ski area - which is surprisingly extensive and with a very decent vertical drop.

We've found the most limited amount of skiing (unsurprisingly) on the south facing slopes above Plein Sud - sometimes just one or two runs open up there, at least until the connections open to Les Menuires.

However, your planned trip is after the scheduled date for the 3Vs links to open - so in a normal snow year you should be fine.

Quote:
Can you tell us if it's worth it or not?
Yes and yes! I'd say go for it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I've skied about 5 or 6 times in the last 7 years in VT in early season. That's usually been around the opening weekend in late November and usually for a few days in conjunction with a two centre trip including Tignes. We have always found enough open to keep us entertained and never had a no snow situation. It's difficult to answer the above question though, as it depends entirely on snow conditions - BUT they do tend to open all of the main areas of the slopes, using a few lifts here and a few lifts there, from opening day onwards. So while all runs and lifts may not be open, you would generally be able to cover all of the different parts of the ski area - which is surprisingly extensive and with a very decent vertical drop.

We've found the most limited amount of skiing (unsurprisingly) on the south facing slopes above Plein Sud - sometimes just one or two runs open up there, at least until the connections open to Les Menuires.

However, your planned trip is after the scheduled date for the 3Vs links to open - so in a normal snow year you should be fine.

Quote:
Can you tell us if it's worth it or not?
Yes and yes! I'd say go for it.

Excellent, thanks!

Would you recommend getting the 3 vallies pass, just in case the snow conditions are a little bit shabby this year?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mperrott wrote:
Hi guys,

me and my mates are looking at booking our first group holiday to Val Thorens, our budget is quite tight so we saw the prices around the 7th of december to be significantly cheaper, we can only assume it's due to the bad snow conditions.

Has anyone ever been to Val Thorens in early December and if so, can you tell us if it's worth it or not?

Thanks guys

Located at a high altitude, Val Thorens is one of the first resorts to open, and one of the last to close, each ski season, due to the fact that they have sufficient snow to operate the resort.

I have skied in the 3V a number of times before Christmas. One year there was insufficient snow to ski in the Meribel valley so we drove around to Val Thorens where skiing was possible due to it having much more snow.

Generally, few people go on holiday (not just skiing) in the weeks immediately before Christmas. Therefore prices for holidays in these weeks are cheaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Would you recommend getting the 3 vallies pass, just in case the snow conditions are a little bit shabby this year?

Surely that a decision best made when you get there
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mperrott wrote:

There's no rush to get your pass, so wait until you know what the conditions are like then make your decision. If the conditions are a bit shabby, then you'll probably want to stick to the VT pass as they'll have the best of a bad bunch.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Surely that a decision best made when you get there

definitely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry guys, new to the whole booking thing. So I can just buy whatever pass I want when I get there, cool. Can any of you recommend a good holiday provider?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You mention that you're going to VT in early Dec due to your budget constraints - what is your budget if you don't mind me asking?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A next door neighbour of mine went to VT 1st week of Dec 4 or 5 years ago. He hays it was the best weeks skiing he'd ever had.

Good snow coverage and empty pistes. Him and his wife were skiing down runs and straight onto the chair. By all accounts they were the only people on some of the runs.

The only downside he says was the town was just as quiet and like a scene from Omega Man (70's reference for all the oldies).

If he went into a pub it was like the scene in American Werewolf where they walk into the Slaughtered Lamb (80's reference for those slightly younger).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at a DIY trip mperrott - easyjet flights will be reasonably priced and you will have your pick of self catering places or hotels.

You could PM Bergmeister if you fancy an apartment in Val T (subject to it being free) - or me if your group is a max of four and you fancy my apartment in snow-sure Tignes instead wink.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy