Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Something Serious From Me - A Request

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-06-07 13:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you absolutely have to be in a resort? You could stay somewhere like Grenoble which is a nice town in its own right and has decent skiing within 30mins and Alpe d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes withing 45mins or so. On a similar theme, Briancon is nice, isn't JUST about skiing and has a lift out of the town centre into the Serre Chevalier system
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're looking for somewhere to 'live' rather than just 'holiday' then considering real towns with skiing rather than ski resorts would probably be the best approach. With a wife who doesn't (yet) and a mini-snowHead in tow, I'd say this was actually the only sensible option.
In France, the two places that immediatedly come to mind are Chamonix and Bourg St. Maurice.
Chamonix obviously is surrounded by some of the best skiing in the world yet it's a substantial enough town in itself to support a year round community. The fact that it isn't awfully far from Geneva must be a bonus too.
BSM, whilst a bit further out into the 'wilds', is still a proper town with the most incredible range of resorts within relatively easy access (including your beloved V d'I). There has to be what, 2000km of piste within 1.5 hrs drive from BSM.

Outside France, somewhere like Innsbruck could be good. It's not just a town but a smallish City so it's an interesting place in itself, with galleries and museums and all the other stuff that cities tend to have. It's surrounded by mountains so there's a huge choice of skiing available. Or perhaps staying in one of the surrounding ski stations might suit you better? Maybe Seefeld? It's one of those picture postcard Austrian ski villages with rather a nice swimming pool if I recall. Maybe not too cheap to shop in but close enough to Innsbruck to make regular trips there feasible.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 9-12-05 18:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want childcare, Arc 1600 is great - and your wife can nip up and down from Bourg on the funicular, and along the valley to Annecy etc.

Or, you could go to La Clusaz, which is much more local to Annecy (lovely town).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wengen, quiet resort but with plenty to do in the area
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At this stage you're probably not going to able to be too picky as most of the seasonally let appartments will have gone. You might however have the budget to pay weekly letting rates for the season so not be too bothered. I'd go for somewhere where you can get a decent sized place - wife & junior will be a lot happier with you out skiing all day if they've enough space which may dictate that you can't really be in a purpose built resort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sherlock Chalets, We are in a very similar situation except that "Junior" is 8 and likes skiing. We are heading for Lanslevillard (Val Cenis) for 6/7 weeks from Jan 5th. Chosen for following reasons: went there for a week and liked it; not too crowded, even in Feb.; SEASON tickets bought for only E150 each (adults) and 120 (kids) ... but you have to apply before 15/12 for this and pay a cheque in Euros ( otherwise the season pass is still reasonable - about E270 I think); it is a "real" place (a proper little town, not just a skimonster), but has access to skislopes from the doorstep; we will have a car and can explore up and down the valley (with discounted rates as a VC season passholder) - e.g. Orelle, back door to Val Thorens, is just 1/2 hour away. I could go on if you wished! Peter
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sherlock Chalets,

Annecy is a fantastic town all year round and only 1/2hr from the Aravis mountains and La Clusaz/Le Grand Bornand ski resorts or 1-11/2 from les Deuxs Alps etc. there are also lots of little french ski reorts close by which are good for a days skiing. The town is fantastic in the summer too and as your wife is mediterranean in origin I'm sure she will love it, asit's very cosmopolitan and has some lovely cafes and shops!

We live in La Clusaz but would equally love to live in Annecy!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about staying at Nice, missus gets the sun, you get the snow an hour away??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy