Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shared Bathroom Facilities - Your opinion

Poster: A snowHead
Found a very competitive catered 12 person chalet for xmas and new year but there are 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, to be precise: 1 shower, sink and toilet, 2 separate WC'rooms, 1 bathroom with overhead shower with sink and 1 shower room.

I have never stayed in a shared facilities situation, what is your experiences of this as a decent way to get a good deal in a ski in/ ski out chalet in les gets at xmas and new year?

We are not quite big enough (number wise ) to fill the chalet as it would be fine if it was just my own family. Which makes me think, do all families even require en-suites now?

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll just have to be patient and accept that you won't be entitled to first dibs on the shower and hope the chalet has unlimited hot water Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, I'd be happy to share a bathroom if it made the difference to getting a good holiday at a decent price. In the days when I stayed in catered chalets we almost invariably shared bathrooms. But then I am used to camp sites, and to living on yachts - where your own "en suite bathroom" is a rarity. I also grew up in a house without a bathroom so am hardly likely to get too precious about it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on price, number of adults/kids sharing that lot, etc.
Stayed in enough hostels and so on with separate shower rooms that it's no big deal. Helps if there's a bit of commonsense and cooperation... eg 1 has a shower while 2-3 have cake+coffee, so there's not a queue of 4 in a hurry for a shower before dinner.

PS The hot water tank doesn't care how many showers there are only the number of showerers Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problems with shared bathrooms or in fact shared rooms. Like pam w, I am also used to camping and mountain huts where the big problem is actually getting dressed to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. Your chalet sounds fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
5 bedrooms means 10 adults, right? Sharing 3 showers is not too bad. But the number of toilets, if I read correctly, is a bit of a concern.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely not. I'm not sharing my toilet & shower with anyone Shocked Got better things to do rather than removing short curly hairs from the showertray Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends on the composition of guests booked in the chalet I think. For example we stayed in a similar set up one year but we took the whole chalet and there were three families sharing. So we designated one bathroom/one wc per family. That worked ok. I'm with a couple of the others though and if it's a completely mixed chalet group then I think sharing the loos between that number is not that great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's one loo for 4 guests. Seems OK to me, especially as 2 of the loos are separate (ie won't be blocked because people are taking their time over a shower). Most one or two bed ski apartments will only have one toilet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
It's one loo for 4 guests. Seems OK to me, especially as 2 of the loos are separate (ie won't be blocked because people are taking their time over a shower). Most one or two bed ski apartments will only have one toilet.

You see that is what would worry me - it could easily become 2 toilets for 11 guest while someone is having a shower.

I have stayed in shared bathroom facilities and it is very much the queue for the toilet on the morning which was the worst aspect of it. Shower / baths are normally fine as we tend to shower or bath after skiing and people tend to return at different enough times that it wasn't an issue but due to people getting up tends to be about the same time as everybody wants to get breakfast then up on the lifts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
It's one loo for 4 guests. Seems OK to me

I prefer 3 guests per loo max, 2 strongly prefered

Quote:
Most one or two bed ski apartments will only have one toilet

I'm never happy about that, and do my best to find apartments with at least 1 extra toilet for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I found morning more of a crunch than evening.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, abc, +1

a queue of folks in the morning all needing to have a dump Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for your responses so far, it is (strangely) very interesting. I have just looked at the floor plan:

Top floor: 3 Bedrooms (7 people) , Bathroom with overhead shower and Double Sink. Separate WC
Middle Floor: Lounge, Dining Room Kitchen and shower with WC and sink
Bottom Floor: 2 bedrooms (4 people), boot room, Sauna, WC with sink, games room and shower room with sink.

how does that sound?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 9-09-14 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Libertine, it's not as if you're going to die or anything. If you're used to living in the lap of luxury, sharing a bathroom is as inconceivable as drinking cava instead of champagne. For the rest of us, it's no more of an issue than having to drink an occasional bottle of plonk.

Personally, I'd take a shared bathroom rather than a bus ride to slopes any day. Quality of food is also more important than quality of bathroom in my book.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones wrote:
Libertine,

Personally, I'd take a shared bathroom rather than a bus ride to slopes any day. Quality of food is also more important than quality of bathroom in my book.

Actual they can be VERY much linked.
ski holidays
There's always the sink for the boys to do a number 1 Laughing

Actually I've seen some girls do a No.1 in the sink Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

Top floor: 3 Bedrooms (7 people) , Bathroom with overhead shower and Double Sink.
Bottom Floor: 2 bedrooms (4 people), boot room, Sauna, WC with sink, games room and shower room with sink.

how does that sound?

Excellent
snow report
If the toilets are like the ones in Solchi I can't see there being any problem.

http://www.allmystery.de/i/tbc58d2_ku-xlarge.jpg
snow report
So have I. On one memorable occasion the sink parted company with the wall.....
ski holidays
nope , I would hate sharing the bathroom, I would prefer to do self catering in an apartment than share with others . The idea of ques would drive me scatty, If there are teenagers in the group it would take ages.
snow report
biddpyat, but you have to share a toilet when you're out on the slopes. Or do you have a bladder the size of Llyn Brianne. Why does a shared loo suddenly become more unbearable just because you're no longer skiing?
snow conditions
There are shared toilets and shared toilets. See this picture from the world studwent games
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/425605250389528576
latest report
Quote:

I'd take a shared bathroom rather than a bus ride to slopes any day.

Too true. So there you have it - it's like DIY holidays versus TOs. People aren't going to agree and a lot depends on what people are used to. If they are used to high class and non-shared facilities, they won't be happy sharing. If they are used to living on yachts then a shared toilet which stays still and doesn't need to be pumped will be acceptable. Actually, I've just been asked to join the crew of a boat this coming weekend and have been told I'll have my own cabin with en-suite!! It'll still have to be pumped though, and it won't stay still.
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
Why does a shared loo suddenly become more unbearable just because you're no longer skiing?

Why? The same reason we all have bathroom at home rather than go down the block to a public one Smile
snow report
abc wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:
Why does a shared loo suddenly become more unbearable just because you're no longer skiing?

Why? The same reason we all have bathroom at home rather than go down the block to a public one Smile

Done plenty of that in my time in remote, freezing cold youth hostels halfway up Welsh mountains. It's pretty grim when it's also raining, but the view usually more than compensates. Across the corridor is hardly in the same league.

All other things being equal, we would all prefer a private loo that doesn't smell of someone else's pre-digested garlic mushrooms. But keep things in perspective. A shared bathroom is hardly a show-stopper.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
abc wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:

Done plenty of that in my time in remote, freezing cold youth hostels halfway up Welsh mountains. It's pretty grim when it's also raining, but the view usually more than compensates. Across the corridor is hardly in the same league.

All other things being equal, we would all prefer a private loo that doesn't smell of someone else's pre-digested garlic mushrooms. But keep things in perspective. A shared bathroom is hardly a show-stopper.

It's never an either-or choice however. You can quite possibly find something else for a bit extra. We're not talking about a remote mountain refuge after all
snow conditions
biddpyat wrote:
nope , I would hate sharing the bathroom, I would prefer to do self catering in an apartment than share with others . The idea of ques would drive me scatty, If there are teenagers in the group it would take ages.
+1

Re the loo, I have a strong sense of smell and a weak stomach. OH kindly warns me and lets me go first. Having to "give it 5 minutes" and then still end up retching is not a good start to the day. Re the shower, I have long hair which takes time to wash, rinse thoroughly, condition and rinse thoroughly again. It only takes a few women like me to make everyone late and cross. And if the mirrors are only in the bathrooms (very common - don't people think things through rolling eyes) you will also get people (not usually the same ones!) shaving and applying make-up in them.

I've done it before but wouldn't again.
snow report
I wouldn't go for a shared loo, my back bottom stinks and I have respect for other people.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think I would mind if I was sharing with other members of my own family or friends but not sure that it would be as easy with people I didn't know.

Our own chalet has two en-suite bathrooms, and a further bathroom which is shared between two double/twin rooms. If we have friends staying there are rarely 8 of us so couples have their own bathroom - when it is us and our family it can be up to 10 - and it generally seems to go alright. I always tell them that they are free to come and use our bathroom as well.
snow report
Personally not for me, friends are fine, i regularly share bedrooms with good friends and share showers on trips. But my preference would be to know people on the trip, not a big fan of sharing with strangers. Queues for the bathrooms are just a fact of life in these situations. I don't think it's a requirement to have en-suite that's a bit of a bonus, but i'd look for the entire chalet to be booked by my group if you know what i mean.

Note: This is a no kids type of comment, no doubt it would be different with children.
ski holidays
Quote:
Which makes me think, do all families even require en-suites now?

Have you asked the people you are going with? As you've discovered in this thread whilst I suspect most won't mind for some people it could be a big issue.
ski holidays
wouldn't be my choice, but depends on budget constraints. If it's cheap for peak weeks (Xmas, NY) I'd be suspicious that it wasn't just the sanitation that was a bit "tight".

TANSTAAFL.
ski holidays
How cheap is it?
latest report
I couldn't care less to be honest. If there was 1 toilet between that many it would be an issue, but given there's just over 1 between 4 and 2 of them are separate I don't see the problem.

Other things such as price and location would be much more important to me.
latest report
How many people are going?

With the setup described above would you be able to book a whole floor for your group so that you only shared bathrooms with people you know?
snow report
We once shared a loo in a chalet with a couple of guys in the next room. We had our own shower and basin but no loo. Not an experience I would care to repeat, as all other bathrooms in the place had en-suite loos, so no option to use another one.
latest report
Quite possibly the most pointless survey ever but then I' m not fortunate enough to work somewhere with my own personal en suite. Ratio looks fine to me especially if the chalet diesn't mind you borrowing pans for overflow demand wink
snow report
People are funny about loos - fact

I will not, unless in dire emergency, use the loos at work apart from a pee

I will use campsite loos when camping as there is no alternative

I would have to have own loo in shared chalet

For apartments with the 5 of us, we have found that 2 loos are required.
snow report
Boris wrote:
People are funny about loos - fact

I will not, unless in dire emergency, use the loos at work apart from a pee

I will use campsite loos when camping as there is no alternative

I would have to have own loo in shared chalet

For apartments with the 5 of us, we have found that 2 loos are required.

Agreed. Now panicking about chalet booked at New Year.
ski holidays
Libertine wrote:
Thanks for your responses so far, it is (strangely) very interesting. I have just looked at the floor plan:

Top floor: 3 Bedrooms (7 people) , Bathroom with overhead shower and Double Sink. Separate WC

how does that sound?

Sorry to be ignorant but what is an overhead shower do underhead showers exist?????

Andy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy