Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Competition Level?

Poster: A snowHead
My Andy has passed his ESF Etoile D'Or, and we're booking lessons for our next trip in February, when he'll be 12 years old. I've read the description of the next level up, called 'Competition', and it seems quite challenging to me! I think for someone who ski's once or twice per year for a week or two at most, it's probably not appropriate, and I'm currently debating whether to put him into another Gold lesson instead. This will be unpopular with him, since he'll be in the same group as his brother and sister (both two years younger than him), but it seems...safer. To me at least.

Does anyone out there have experience of ESF "Competition" level for their kids?

-simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why does he still need lessons?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Honestly, mostly so that the wife and I can ski by ourselves in the morning wink

But also because he wants to improve his skiing, he enjoys skiing with other children (other than his siblings I mean!) and it's nice to get him into a sociable group...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't have any experience of this but we are in exactly the same boat.

All these years I've encouraged my boy to get his next award and now he has the gold I have the prospect of him taking me down black runs all morning while his sister is at ski school Shocked Laughing

The resort we are going to doesn't offer competition level the week we are going and I don't think it would suit my son anyway. I hadn't thought of putting him in gold again..not sure if his sister would like that either as she will be in gold next time!

Looking forward to seeing your replies on this thread.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everyone needs lessons, most just don't admit it wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Being more constructive than my last post (sorry!) there are other options for advanced young skiers other than the competition class. Many resorts / ski-schools offer freestyle, off-piste or "all mountain" (freestyle, off-piste, bumps, racing) for kids at this level.

If ESF don't offer it at your destination, have a look at other ski-schools (e.g. Evo2 / ESI).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Szymon, From watching Competition groups and knowing the instructors who teach them, the rest of the kids will just be there on holiday too, they are still a long way below the standard of a race club.

In February there should be enough kids that a resort can run multiple groups.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd, the ESF are about the only school in Chamrousse I believe -- it's too small a resort to support multiple schools. I did ask about other types of lesson but they don't do them here...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Szymon wrote:
stevomcd, the ESF are about the only school in Chamrousse I believe -- it's too small a resort to support multiple schools. I did ask about other types of lesson but they don't do them here...

For competition level you normally need to have the Fleche de Bronze, they won't take your son with Etoile d'Or; he's not up to the level. They must have other classes that are suitable for his level.

Note that the slalom courses at Chamrousse for Fleche and Vermeil are challenging. I would enter your son for the Fleche during the week you are there to see his level, if he posts a good time at Chamrousse (assuming they use the full course which is twice the length of most of the Fleche courses) he'll be good for anywhere in the French Alps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter has had a week in competition class, following on from doing gold the previous holiday. She enjoyed it-it's not just race training she did bumps, off piste etc and the water slide at les arcs! You then get a chance to do the fleche race at the end and you get another award book with levels from flechette upwards.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Competition class is safe and gold level is the correct level to enter it (he's a year older too) Honestly he'll love it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saint wrote:
Competition class is safe and gold level is the correct level to enter it (he's a year older too) Honestly he'll love it!

Quote:
Class 4 - Competition**

Entraînement au slalom et au slalom géant ! Le passage des tests « Flèche et Chamois » est inclus dans le stage. Niveau Flèche de bronze minimum.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Davidof: Acceptance level depends on the individual ski school if the ski school concerned runs gold star it's fine. There are different levels of competition class 'cos it's popular. There is no class between gold and competition in most schools and it is not all about gates.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saint wrote:
Davidof: Acceptance level depends on the individual ski school if the ski school concerned runs gold star it's fine. There are different levels of competition class 'cos it's popular. There is no class between gold and competition in most schools and it is not all about gates.

Yes, thanks, we are talking about Chamrousse are we not?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dunno, it's not mentioned in the headline post. But generally Gold Star cool.
snow report
Just looked up Chamrousse website it is crap! Competition class fine it is what Gold prepares the kids for! Many kids fail Gold because their instructors realise they won't be ready for Competition the next year. Get Andy in there!
latest report
Agree withrjs, When my son did it aged 10 or 11, they did a couple of half days of gate training for the fleche but mostly piste skiing and gentle off piste. Most of the kids were French teen holiday skiers. The level was not high - my son really wasn't at all challenged, but then he was a fair bit past etoile d'or.
snow conditions
Szymon, our Ben went from Gold to competition and enjoyed it very much. He didn't get his Flèche (and was gutted). He had a really good time and ether were a couple of other English kids - but it was mostly lots of skiing. It really wasn't that dangerous, a bit of speed a few bumps, some in the trees.

He'd have had a compete fit if we'd made him repeat Gold- especially with his younger brother (who has also now passed his Gold star) this would be like the worst torture I could think of imposing on any of my children, frankly I'm horrified you suggested it..

Answer - yes. Unless child really wants to repeat Gold (which is possible but almost certainly a sign of something being not quite right, but you have guessed he won't want this so I can't even see why I have mentioned this ). Or tele, really...
snow report
Both my girls go in competition class with the ESF and they are under 12 and have been at this level since they were 8 , they love it . They go all over the place learning bumps , off piste , jumping as well as race training , much more exciting than being out with Dad , sign Andy up you won't regret it
ski holidays
Both my girls go in competition class with the ESF and they are under 12 and have been at this level since they were 8 , they love it . They go all over the place learning bumps , off piste , jumping as well as race training , much more exciting than being out with Dad , sign Andy up you won't regret it
latest report
Our local ESF has 'evasion' between Gold and Competition. Essentially this is similar stuff to competition, but only for the normal lesson times. Competition at ours is a 4.5hr lesson which is pretty intensive.

We had a similar debate when our son got his gold star, but decided to go with private tuition instead - clearly you win and lose on this option. Its expensive, and you lose the sociability. However, you gain a huge amount of skiing - like for like my son skis 2-3x as much in a private lesson as a group lesson (in 2.5hrs he skis at least 4500 vertical metres). Is there any scope to team up with any others for a private mini-group?

Whatever you do, its still possible for the kids to enter the races which is good experience.
ski holidays
Saint wrote:
Dunno, it's not mentioned in the headline post. But generally Gold Star cool.

It is mentioned in the thread; it seemed relevant to me. For example last winter and the winter before Chamrousse ESF wanted Fleche d'Argent for their competition classes (I spoke to them) but they say both Fleche d'Argent and Fleche de Bronze on the website. Worth checking with them for 2015.
snow report
I have to say I was tempted to speak to them tomorrow seems daft to me' cos how do you get the Flèche without training? Or is this a secretary being daft? With most, it is Gold then Competition seems daft otherwise?!
snow report
Folks, many thanks for all the replies. I had the travel agent get in touch with the resort and they say that competition will be fine for him; so with all the encouragement from here we have signed Andy up for that. I'm sure he'll love it Happy
latest report
one thing to consider is that the competition class will typically be in French as so few "international" students. My daughter did hers at around the same age and her skiing came on loads but she was a bit lonely in the class..
snow report
Well, he's just started learning French, it will be good for him! The instructor should speak English at least (that's been our experience at Chamrousse so far -- the vast majority do. If he doesn't like it he can always go "down" to gold level Happy
snow conditions
should be fine but i just mention it as it was something i hadnt considered when we booked her in...
ski holidays
No, I do appreciate the thought, definitely something to consider.

We're all having Skiing withdrawal symptoms, last time we went was two weeks at Christmas and New Years, only been to Hemel twice since then (and that doesn't count, it's like drinking coffee to combat a heroin addiction!), February seems so far away...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Szymon, I'd say methadone for heroin but possibly you are right...
ski holidays
Szymon, Just book your son in competition level & let him get on with it Very Happy There will probably be lots of 'Club ESF' kids in there who will be more than willing to practice their English skills & show him how good they are wink

In Tignes we normally do 2 days Slalom & 3 days GS during the week so he will require hand guards & helmet (shin guards are optional). The course price should include 1 entry into the Fleche (GS race) & 1 entry into the Chamoix (Slalom race).

There is no minimum standard to enter the Fleche, you normally just pay your money and have a go.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 11-09-14 20:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Steward, that's exactly what I did wink
snow report
Hrm, you've worried me with the hand guards. But I guess we'll be able to buy anything he needs there...
latest report
Szymon wrote:
Hrm, you've worried me with the hand guards.

As it his first time will probably get away without them. just tell him to 'man up' if he complains wink
ski holidays
stewart woodward, Resorts may do things differently, they could just use stubbies for the Chamoix.
ski holidays
Quote:

The instructor should speak English at least (that's been our experience at Chamrousse so far -- the vast majority do.

Wow, things must have changed at Chamrousse in the last few years...
ski holidays
Red Dave wrote:
Quote:

The instructor should speak English at least (that's been our experience at Chamrousse so far -- the vast majority do.

Wow, things must have changed at Chamrousse in the last few years...

Well maybe we've just been lucky, but even the ones we met that don't claim to speak English seem to have enough to communicate what's important! We've only been going there since we started skiing in 2012 though...
snow report
Szymon, What does Andy think?
ski holidays
John -- well, he definitely *doesn't* want to go "down" to do the Gold again with his brother and sister wink, and he does want to go skiing again. I think it's us parents worrying too much, probably about nothing really. It's just that kids have no fear!
snow report
rjs,
Quote:

stewart woodward, Resorts may do things differently, they could just use stubbies for the Chamoix.

Really? Do any resorts do this? I thought the purpose of the Chamois was that it was a comparable race of similar gates, similar drop against the registered opener's reference time. If you start putting stubbies in then its a different race altogether.

That said I really really wouldn't worry about hand/shin guards. In my experience, until the kids are good, they slow them down. My 7-yr old was the fastest (of his age!) in our valley for the whole season in Chamois and never touched a gate.
ski holidays
snowdave, Yes, the resort that I mostly ski in uses stubbies for the Chamoix. The entry is mostly smaller kids so it makes sense not to use full size gates.

The times are measured against an opener through that particular course, it doesn't make it invalid to use different gates. The FFS younger age group slaloms that I have seen also use stubbies and they are recommended for U14s in GBR races.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy