Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Job hunting, any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, I'm just trying to assess my options for work this winter and thought there's bound to be some people on here who can share their advice and experience Smile so here's what I'm thinking.

I've worked two seasons in Mayrhofen, but that was a few years back, 2008-2010. I love the place and I've been for trips a few times between now and then, but when it comes to finding work, Mayrhofen is such a popular place with dudes that it's getting very difficult by all accounts. I still have some friends over there, but even then I think it may be too much to hope that I can just fall into a decent paying job and flat like I did a few years ago.

So I'm thinking why not try somewhere new, completely new. Somewhere I've never visited, let alone skied. Slovenia, Bulgaria, places like that. I've always fancied skiing in Spain too. But I do have a requirement for some decent bars (Scotland Yard for example Laughing ) and some gnarly off piste. What are the chances in the kind of places I've listed? Or are there any better ideas out there, I'd love to here them! Smile

Final question, are there any recommendations for sites I should be checking for jobs? Natives doesn't seem as much use as it used to be and things like Ski Jobs/Season Workers all have the same adverts that take ages to sort and navigate.

I know I haven't really asked anything specific that can be given a straight answer, but I felt like getting it off my chest and seeing if anything will come back from the wealth of experience on Snowheads. I should probably mention that I've worked as a ski guide and ski tech, which I'd love to do again but I'd definitely consider being a rep or chalet bunny.

Let me know your thoughts folks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contact Nixmap, He/She may/may not have a volunteer/job on the go Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulC1984 wrote:
Contact Nixmap, He/She may/may not have a volunteer/job on the go Happy

Wow, that's quite an interesting thread you've led me onto there! I'll have to give it a bit more of an in depth read.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
English speaking Ski Tech required in Chamonix ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,164936
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can only speak for Bankso in Bulgaria but there are a lot of seasonal workers there and seemingly few Brits working there, generally people are working at the Black Sea in summer and in Bansko during the Ski season. In terms of living... day-to-day it's cheap, couple of good bars. Skiing is limited i would say compared to a lot of other places, particularly off-piste there are some extreme 'big mountain' type off piste areas but not so much of the middle ground between piste and big mountain. Could do plenty of tight tree runs though.

Not sure i would recommend it for working a season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you want to work for a local company or a tour operator?

Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Do you have current ski guiding/tech qualifications? Can you speak German after living in Mayrhofen?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Twitter. Follow the resorts that interest you, you'll be prompted to follow related accounts from in-resort magazines and businesses, and there you'll see job adverts directly from the employers.

There are dedicated groups on facebook for workers on nearly every resort but it is a lot messier trying to keep on top of them than Twitter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would strongly suggest calling Tour Operators, Chalet Companies, Transfer companies directly before applying. In my experience you can get a very good impression of what en employer is like in the first five minutes of talking to someone. Ie if they are happy to take your calls and have a quick chat about a role you may be applying for then it suggest that they value their employers as opposed to someone who cant wait to get you off the phone and redirects you to their online application form.

I have done two seasons in Valdisere and after having taken a year out to earn some money I'm heading back out again this year. Getting response initially this year from companies was pretty slow but within one week I had three job offers all of which I had called up the company directly and spoken to someone on the phone. In my experience filling out huge online application forms is a waste of time initially until you know there is a role that you would be happy to take.

Valdisere is a great resort with heaps of great off piste and good bars, hence why I'm heading back! I cannot recommend it enough!

If you're interested in Valdisere try Valdinet.com and look under chalet companies etc then call them up directly.

hope that helps
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
moffatross
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 14 16:29 Post subject:

English speaking Ski Tech required in Chamonix ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,164936

Thanks moffatross, just sent off an email asking about the wage on that one, I'm sure Cham is going to be an expensive place to live, kind of thing I need to know.

Quote:
Levi215
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 14 19:27 Post subject:

I can only speak for Bankso in Bulgaria but there are a lot of seasonal workers there and seemingly few Brits working there, generally people are working at the Black Sea in summer and in Bansko during the Ski season. In terms of living... day-to-day it's cheap, couple of good bars. Skiing is limited i would say compared to a lot of other places, particularly off-piste there are some extreme 'big mountain' type off piste areas but not so much of the middle ground between piste and big mountain. Could do plenty of tight tree runs though.

Not sure i would recommend it for working a season.

Okay, thanks Levi215, nice to have a bit more info on Bankso. I guess if there was amazing off piste there I would have heard about it, but if anyone else has experience of the kind of 'out of the way' resorts I'd love to hear it.

Quote:
skiorboard
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 14 20:46 Post subject:

Do you want to work for a local company or a tour operator?

Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Do you have current ski guiding/tech qualifications? Can you speak German after living in Mayrhofen?

My tech qual is not current (goes back to 2008! Confused ). I'm open to working for local companies or tour operators, my German is pretty poor which makes TO's a bit more preferable but they ususally pay peanuts of course.

Quote:
albinomountainbadger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 14 20:50 Post subject:

Twitter. Follow the resorts that interest you, you'll be prompted to follow related accounts from in-resort magazines and businesses, and there you'll see job adverts directly from the employers.

There are dedicated groups on facebook for workers on nearly every resort but it is a lot messier trying to keep on top of them than Twitter.

I'd completely forgotten about checking Facebook! There's always a new ski bums page each year for Mayrhofen, so I'll have to keep checking for those and other resorts.

Quote:
sjb1989
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 14 4:39 Post subject:

I would strongly suggest calling Tour Operators, Chalet Companies, Transfer companies directly before applying. In my experience you can get a very good impression of what en employer is like in the first five minutes of talking to someone. Ie if they are happy to take your calls and have a quick chat about a role you may be applying for then it suggest that they value their employers as opposed to someone who cant wait to get you off the phone and redirects you to their online application form.

Thanks sjb1989, that's a good point and I think I'll do that before sending off any more applications. I sent off a couple yesterday and I'm going to give them a call later just to check they've received them and so on.

This is great stuff folks, really helpful. If there's any more advice for me or ideas for companies that I might not have considered, please feel free to add, I really appreciate it.

Huw Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This was on the Mayrhofen FB page today on.fb.me/1tqA7pT

In terms of any job search, the best bet is to talk to someone. If you cant talk to someone then I would consider doing a video introduction as another way to stand out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy