Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weardale vs Yad Moss

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been a Yad Moss season ticket holder for the past 5 years, and have only skied there about 3 times I think due to never being able to get there when it has been open.

So I can either renew at a decent price or I was wondering about trying Weardale.

How do the areas compare? Does one open more often than the other?

How about queues ??

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're both great - get a ticket for both!

One thing to consider is that Weardale is members only at weekends but you can normally buy a day ticket at Yad Moss.

Regarding the skiing, Weardale is probably more varied; the lower slopes are easy greeny blues but the upper half of the hill is a lot more rugged with some steep pitches and natural gulleys including 'the gulley' which often develops big drifts and drop offs and 'Black Scar' a short but genuinely steep run. The main slope at Yad Moss is very good for a blast down (safely) or to practice on.

They reckon that Yad Moss does better with north easterly storms and Weardale is better when the snow comes from the west but I think they're at a similar altitude and open a similar number of days. However, Weardale is harder to get to because of the narrow hilly access road which can require chains/snow tyres.

And don't forget Lake District Skiing! I think they got loads of skiing in last season and its in a spectacular location.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sledger has just about covered everythingkitenski, but I'll add a couple more comments:

Mrs MA and I joined Weardale because of the members-only at weekends rule. However, that means we can also ski at weekends at Yad Moss under the discounted reciprocal arrangement between Yad & Weardale slopes. I think that applies even when Yad limits non-member ticket sales on a weekend? However, I'm not sure if Weardale allow skiers from Yad Moss on a weekend - though I would hope so as the opposite arrangement generally applies.

IMO Yad does seem to open more than Weardale. Not sure if it gets more snow (though it is slightly higher) or whether it holds the snow better because of better pisting. That's not to decry Weardale's piste maintenance but Yad's efforts can verge on fanatical!

Road access is undoubtedly more difficult at Weardale - though those without snow tyres or chains can park in the layby at the bottom of the tricky, single track ski road (about 2 miles from the skiing) and get a lift there from someone who has stopped to fit chains. Or if you set off walking, someone will always pick you up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy