Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif Itinery

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
Is anyone aware of any websites that detail pre-planned suggested ski routes for a particular resort. I am heading for Flaine in March and like to maximise my slope time. I would ideally like to have 6 or 8 to pick from with starting and finishing points, and the pistes needed to make the journey. I like the idea of knowing my route ahead of time rather than trying to make sense of piste maps in situ-which is not always easy.
If nothing like that is out there maybe someone more experienced than me should come up with something- could be a useful tool for people?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
broadsman, there's this thing called the internet and apparently you can "download" (?) liftmaps.

I'd do that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
broadsman, If you like to plan trips in advance I can think of no more pleasant occupation than an evening with a few glasses of a suitable beverage and a piste map.

http://hiver.grand-massif.com/skimaps

You could even plan your coffee and lunch stops.

The website also has "virtual tours" and lots of pictures of pistes, views, etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
'under a new name' ? no wonder you're getting a new name with un-helpful and pointless replies like that. Piste maps are not always that clear, especially on-line, and suggested routes would allow maximum time and mileage to be clocked up, from people who will have experienced the resort already.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
broadsman, the maps available on line are, IME, usually easier than the paper ones because they are interactive - you can enlarge bits that seem unclear and zoom in. And the webcam pictures of pistes make it easier than it's ever been to get a good mental image of the area, if you do some homework in advance.

On the day, of course, it will partly depend on weather. You might have very poor visibility, and decide to stay in one small defined area, or there might be little or no snow on the lower, more distant, runs of the GM (both those have happened to me, on my few visits to the area).

If you are polite and ask nicely you might get some of the SHs who know the GM really well (there are several) to suggest some long exploring days for you. They would need to know whether you are happy to ski all pisted runs.

I don't think I have ever known what my "mileage" has been, on any of the many days I've spent skiing. But there are apps for that. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's quite a good 3D interactive map of the GM where you can move around the whole area and up and down the terrain, which gives you a feel for how quick the runs are likely to be and how they interlink. You need to be on a PC though as it doesn't work on a phone/tablet
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well, you know, broadsman, it was a rather poorly constructed question. Lacking any information on which to build useful comment. Other than "read a map".

What do you like to ride? Where are you staying? Does "maximise slope time" include long lunches?

Etc.

The Grand Massif is neither all that Grand or Massive. You could easily ski the whole of it in a day (not every run, but at least every sector). It's quite a straightforward area. You just need to pay attention and not fall into any of the holes.

I could find myself lapping Aigle Noir or Gers for a whole day quite happily, with a sneaky lunch at the Michelin restaurant in Les Carroz once my legs were shot. For instance. But I doubt that would suit everyone.

Anyhoo.

What makes your perfect ski day?

(I'm not sure I can see how one would build such an app that you suggest. Too many variables.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But then, thinking about it, if you were just looking to build a route, using run colours and average speeds, e.g. take me from Morzine to Champery preferring blue runs - maybe.

I think a glass of beverage of choice and a piste map is still the best idea.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
broadsman, in March you will lots of daylight assuming you rise earl and as under a new name, says, it's not a massive area to navigate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In fact, if the snow lower down is poor, which is not out of the ordinary later in March, it begins to feel like quite a small area. And if it's poor in February or early March, during French school holidays, it feels both small and crowded, with everyone up in the Flaine bowl. Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
broadsman, surely before you can plan an itinerary you need to know what the snow conditions are like.

So joining in your planning, what's the snow conditions and weather like?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think there are quite a lot of Grand Massif "Residents" and Seasonaires (like me) on Snowheads who would agree with marcellus, in that the snow conditions, recent weather and current weather conditions are key to a great days itinerary. Flaine and its linked resorts can provide a great days skiing whether you want fast "Red/Blue carving", gentle "Green/Blue cruising", a few "Black piste challenges" or a variety of "Off-piste routes/links/excursions". I suspect like many of the other "Locals", I plan my itinerary whilst sitting on "the first lift" of the day. Roll on December Very Happy .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, I'm afraid that it has the reputation of having a star but it hasn't I'm afraid.
skier52, Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More afraid than I realised!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, I'm afraid that it has the reputation of having a star but it hasn't I'm afraid.
skier52, Very Happy
snow conditions
Be afraid. Be very afraid....
ski holidays
Now I'm scared
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy