Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler cuts ski school prices by 50%

Poster: A snowHead
stuarth, doh! Whistler/Blackcomb, poma/T-bar, whatever Wink

Simple mistake to make!!!

Showcase?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stuarth wrote:
paulhothersall,
or even her wink

Trappers Cabin looks like a good spot (White Gold) and pretty decent Price for Whistler (the place I'm sharing is a fair bit more than that, also unfortunately close to Splitz grill and Sachi Sushi which means I'll be tempted into eating out loads!). I'm thinking of doing CSCF 1 (I'm not really CSIA material Madeye-Smiley ) - do they do CSCF courses in Whistler?

oopsie, sorry ma'am

check out http://www.snowpro.com/scripts/courses/level_one.pl for the level one courses, asthey have 6 course on through the season, plus other level 2,3 CSCF/CSIA courses and exams

I'm trying to get an exemption from level 1 CSCF, as my APC 1 course covered that off. In fact half the notes were still on CSCF headed paper....................... That was a 6 day course that covers all the CSCF 1, and a few other things.

You don;t need to go with an arranged camp or anything, just join and book. I'm just looking at the process and what i want to do when at the moment. I did their "e-prep" exam online asa guest user for practice without bothering to read the notes and passed!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth, i want to do teh CSCF 1 this year, they sure do do it. you can look up the dates and info here...
http://www.snowpro.com/scripts/courses/level_one.pl
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops, sorry paulhothersall, my post took too long. Darn work getting in the way!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guys, I'm out 25th feb for 2 weeks, remember to include me when you arrange a meet for beers Smile

What are the different courses available then? Which ones should I be lookng at?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt wrote:
Guys, I'm out 25th feb for 2 weeks, remember to include me when you arrange a meet for beers Smile

What are the different courses available then? Which ones should I be lookng at?

no worries,

what sort of thing do you want to do? instruct/coach or improve your skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, sounds like we can have a proper :sh: bash out there...

I can personally recommend Dave Murray - stuarth is the expert though.

What do you want? Serious learning? Fun touring?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If anyone want to hook up to chat re the various options of CSIA, CSCF etc. in Whistler over a beer, then just drop me a PM and we'll sort something out!

If you are a pretty strong technical skier (good technically proficient wedge turns, good basic parallel, with edges changing simultaneously etc.) then the CSIA1 should be achievable without any prior training.

With Level 2 this is a different ball game - the stakes are higher, and the standard is also higher. I will certainly recommend prior specific Level2 training in order to understand what is expected of you, and to understand the different strands that make up the requirements. The standards are high in Whistler, and I know the pass rates of those that didn't have prior training.........

For a Level 3 - again - this is a whole step up again, and the skiing part is pretty tough. For the teaching side, you should not consider taking the exam unless you have had about a season's worth of instructing - using the Canadian methodology. It is possible to do the course without doing the 2 day exam.

For the CSCF1 - you should already be able to carve cleanly (perception vs. reality) at speed on hardpack. When I took my CSCF1 - among the other course participants were some FIS racers........

Quote:

veeeight, have you noticed how no one is agreeing with easiski? It's just an observation.

Observation noted. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lbt wrote:
nbt, sounds like we can have a proper :sh: bash out there...

I can personally recommend Dave Murray - stuarth is the expert though.

What do you want? Serious learning? Fun touring?

All we need is an MBT for the hat trick Wink

not quote sure what I want. not realy bothered about getting qualifications, just leanring to ski better on all terrain. Have dabbled in off piste and would like to improve. Am ok on most pistes although I detest bumps. Would like to learn to jump, actually, preferably without injury! Might leave that one for a european trip, just in case...

Quite odd, last night I watched "crazy canucks" on sky, a movie about the said bunch of skiiers in the 19709s, including of course Dave Murray...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt,

Here's a quick summary of the lessons I've done...

- For mixture of on-piste work with gates + some off-pise stuff you really can't go wrong with the Dave Murray Camp. Coaches are awesome (if a little (well a lot) crazy! Madeye-Smiley ), and the mix works really well to improve all areas of skiing - absolutely transformed MrsH's skiing all round, and I'd like to think my own - though my very shallow learning curve meant I had to go every week! rolling eyes snowHead See if you can get through the start gate of memory erasure and actually think about the technique you are supposed to be working on - no chance, it's just "must go faster"!! rolling eyes Madeye-Smiley
- For more hard-core off piste/freeskiing stuff, Extremely Canadian is excellent, though hard work physically _and_ mentally - most of my more extreme GLC drinking moments occured after Extremely Canadian when I was celebrating still being walking/alive!
- For general all mountain cruising, good social skiing, and great instruction, I'd recommend Ski Esprit (I've only done the weekend one, so I don't know the weekeday staff - I'm sure they are excellent, I think a friend of mine who did the weekend one is now doing the weekday ones and I think she's probably one of the best instructors on the mountain)
- For a technical tune up, Supergroups are good. Small groups = loads of attention to detail.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, seems we have more than some initials in common snowHead

I asked about jumping over on epic last year - got some great replies - did you read it or shall I dig up the link?
I would suggest that you tell any instructor you end up with that you'd like to get a few hops in - they can easily keep an eye out for little kickers at the side of the piste and take you over them - I invariably spot them too late when on my own! Also it can be worth going to the park too. Do some research on park etiquette and use the lead up ramps as kickers. (Watch your insurance - mine has a special exclusion for terrain parks so none of that this year!!)

DM was definitely 'fun' and sounds like it might be your thing.

I was in the most basic group and we did a few bump runs over some *huge* bumps (which I still found v. hard but which were much better afterwards) but my absolute favourite was the steeps. Especially 'dropping in'. Only about a foot drop over a small edge but it was at the stop of a wonderfully steep run. I love the commitment of pointing your skis straight down what feels like a sheer drop and then practically pushing yourself down - awesome!

Any excuse to get off-piste too (which is far more 'normal' than it seems to be in Europe). Lesley, our teacher, would just ski off the edge, under ropes, whatever.

The gates were excellent. A good excuse to get a bit more aggressive and aim for that elusive angulation.

Anything else... one footed skiing (just a bit with some chat about balance etc); video analysis - not tremendously useful as a one-off; more cameraderie than the supergroups where you had different people each day.

If you do do a supergroup thing for more than one day then ask your instructor (if you get on!) whether they'll be able to take you the next day - mine was pleased to and made sure he took my group.
oh, and he was the one who got me into the small jumps...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all, guess i dont need to add much more to the summaries provided above, just to say my ideal would be to start off with a Ski Esprit 3 or 4 day programme (the week day course is just as good as the weekend one, the pros are all great), and then do a DM or Extrememly Camp. That is my plan NEXT WEEK snowHead snowHead snowHead

Re the instructors courses, i would say to anyone interested go try the CSIA level I, it is a great experince. I am hoping to look into the CSCF level I this season if it fits with my trip dates.

Snowheads meet, for sure, the GLC one night, lets make a plan.
I will be back in town from the 23 Feb for 2 weeks.
Deja-vu of a snowHead meet in the GLC last season too Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I'm *hoping* to be good enough to try an Extremely this season - need a bit of confidence on the steep and deep bits first so we''ll be doing lots of DM's too. The Extemely apres sounds like fun. Can you just do the apres and pretend you've done the skiing? Razz

stuarth, If you got where you are with your shallow learning curve then there might just be a little hope for me too. Laughing

Robbie, just remember your new mantra if you do the Extemely! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee, tee hee hee.

3 sleeps..........

snowHead snowHead snowHead

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Robbie, I can't believe you're thinking about Extremely Canadian!

Did you hear about DF's close shave down the triple diamond black 'Pipeline' into Pakalolo or stuarth's many 6 foot jumps off cornices? Have you just eaten some weetabix or something?? Laughing Laughing

geetee, did you hear the Sunday morning 'bang'? Shocked
ski holidays
Snowy, I have to try it one day, time to stop being a wimp...
Of course, i mean to do Extremely at a Robbie level, not a DF/Stuarth level!

You are right, have been eating my weetabix for the last 2 weeks in preperation Toofy Grin
snow report
Extermely Candian isn;t included in the 50% offer, os it's off th elist for me. Need to sit down and work out whether DM or Ski Esprit is going to suit me better, what I can afford to pay, and how much time out of my holiday it'll take away from me spending with my mates. then do the same for MRs NBT and work out what the overall result is!
ski holidays
Robbie wrote:

Do they do 'Cautiously Extremely Canadian' courses????!! Laughing

I'll be joining you in Whistler, although not in any Extremely classes, while you're there in Feb/March time. I'm planning to do some more Dave Murray camps while I'm out there too. I'm a bit worried about the abundance of hardcore DM coaches this season since I assume Leslie will be having the season off. Sad

I can't wait, but have to go skiing in France first. It'll be a chance to test drive some new pink skis I've got my eye on and to teach Mr Snowy to snowplough in preparation for his CSIA level I if he chooses to do it. I can imagine that lesson will be less than 10 seconds long though before he complains "it's just not practical" and doesn't allow him to ski very fast. wink Laughing
ski holidays
There is another option, that isn't part of the Intrawest Umbrella - the Mike Dempsey Tour.

It's kinda ski improvement program in generall, although you will get Level 4 Instructors. It's called the Mountain Master - and it encompasses enerything - groomers, off piste, bumps, powder (when available), steep & deep etc. etc.

It's an all round ski improvement on all terrain.

http://www.dempseytours.com

The prices there already include accommodation & lift pass - so if you have your own, just email him on the "contact us" page - and ask him for prices just for the instruction part of the program.

Similar format to other programs, 1 video analysis day per week, wrap up and report cards on a friday whilst munching on snacks and drinks on a Friday.

Mike has been running this program for over 23 years, so it isn't a fly by night outfit.

Highly recommended!
snow report
veeeight, Dempsey rocks, and the pros are great too. I had some of them on my Level II.

Snowy, Mr Snowy plowing, tee hee hee. THat i have to see.

YEp, i knew we would over lap in Feb/MArch - am looking forward to it.

Quote:

Robbie wrote:

Do they do 'Cautiously Extremely Canadian' courses????!!

Well, they do take people from Level 4 up! COme join me on my cautiously extremely Embarassed
snow conditions
Snowy, Oh hello! How are you? I thought it was just Mr Snowy that was on here. wink Didn't hear a thing on Sunday morning. After several glasses of vino on Saturday night I slept *very* soundly! S might have heard it and woke briefly. I heard a few half-hearted cries for 'mammy' and then all was quiet and we went back to sleep until about 8am - bliss! Very Happy
ski holidays
Hmmm, just a couple of small glasses of vino, eh geetee, ??
ski holidays
Robbie, small? Did I say small? I think you'll find I just said glasses. wink
latest report
Robbie, PS get back to your revising!!!
snow report
Doh, skulks back off to her books Embarassed
snow conditions
geetee, hee hee Laughing
snow report
Robbie, durh blonde moment - I meant.....

Robbie, hee hee Laughing
(see, I know you're still here)
snow report
geetee, started early today? Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doh, i thought you were just talking to yourself!!!! Laughing

Out of here now, exam starting in 2 hours.

Bye.

PS 3 SLEEPS!
snow report
lbt, I wish! Laughing Anything to escape the drudgery of this place this afternoon. 20 mins to go.... rolling eyes
latest report
Ok, umming and ahhing at the moment. DM looks good but Ski Esprit is $100 less per person and money is tight. Which way do we go?

And is it worth us booking in advance? Do these courses get filled up quickly? only 74 days left now...
ski holidays
nbt, The impression I got was that Ski Esprit is more about touring than teaching; DM is more about teaching than touring. And given DM is advertised on the quality of the coaches rather than cameraderie like Esprit...

(nb, I know they both teach and tour - I think it's emphasis - and the attitude of the others in the group)

And isn't the point of this thread that you're getting it half price that week Smile (Or have you accounted for that?)

Because of the 1/2 price thing I've booked already - better safe than sorry...
latest report
Robbie, how was the exam?

(actually - what was the exam?)
snow report
nbt

Personally I try to do both Ski Esprit and Dave Murray when in Whistler but if you have to plump for only one and want to be in a more teaching environment then go for Dave Murray.......but I would still encourage you to try both !!
ski holidays
It's looking like I'll be the only one doing any lessons, so I reckon I'll go for the DM. Reading the description, it seems that the DM course includes skis - is that right? Although I had a laugh at the EOSB race, not *really* sure that I fancy doing gate training on Pocket Rockets!
snow report
Well this thread is probably in the wrong place but then again it was initially posted as a news feature so no matter.

I've read through this thread and I don't know why you are all upset as there was no malice in Easiski's initial comment.
If you are happy with your ski school then you will likely go back..

Easiski has taught many a person on this board and they do go back...
ski holidays
nbt,
Quote:

it seems that the DM course includes skis - is that right?

They have demo skis which you can pick up at their hut next to the Roundhouse. The idea isn't actually that they give you skis for the course; you're meant to have your own and they let you try out the demo skis for some of the time. If you get there early enough there shouldn't be a problem though in getting hold of a pair of demos. You then return them to the hut when you're finished with them.

What dates are you going to be doing the DM?
ski holidays
We're out feb 25th - mar 11th. that probalby means I'll do the course on 6/7/8 march, as I reckon the previous week would be a shock to the system - need time to get my ski legs!

Ski wise, It's only the gate training that concerns me - but then again I reckon I put in a fairly respectable performance through the gates at EOSB considering I was on skis with a 92mm waist!
ski holidays
Don't worry about the 'gate training' - I know what you mean though - I was a bit concerned that I wasn't ready for it Embarassed

In reality it just means that there's 2 or 3 runs with some gates!!
It gets you thinking (and doing) more about angulation, it makes you plan your turns and demands that you control (not increase) your speed.
It's "just" another training tool - much like 1-legged skiing or skiing without poles...
snow conditions
nbt, the gate training is really good fun - especially when one of the coaches gets you to follow him down the course and he's on twin tips. Isn't that right Robbie? Laughing However, if it's been snowing then you might not even do 1 gate run during the whole course. It depends on the conditions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy