Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family with different expectations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Advice appreciated

Family with 3 kids, 1 4-yr old never skiied before, would like to put her somewhere where she can do a little bit of skiing in the morning, then loads of indoor stuff and movies for when it starts snowing

9 and 11 yr old who have skied a few times, will fall in with children's classes appropriate to their level. They like skiing but are not obsessed, not daredevils (yet), like to take it easy, like some afternoons off to make snowmen and snowballs, go to swimming pool etc

For me, I am totally obsessed and will want to ski from first to last lift. My ideal would be a resort where off-piste group lessons or group guiding is available that I might do in the morning. I do not ski off-piste alone and if no off-piste group lessons available I could only afford a guide myself for one day. Preferably a resort that also has some good challenging blacks I could practice on in the afternoons that the rest of family decide to take off

My OH is a reasonable skier, not my level though and not really off-piste level, would do adult group lessons in the morning, she might ski some easy blacks with me some afternoons. (For my sins) we will have some "family skis" also..

What definitely works best for us is a resort which is ski in ski out with good quality SC apts available - our kids definitely do best going back to apt for lunch and pretty much having a full 2 hours off the slopes. I might grab a sneaky extra hour of ripping down some blacks and join them for quick lunch, I might also grab an extra hour after dropping family home at 3.30. So a resort you can move around in fast works also.

From past experience I know Tignes and Les Arcs definitely fulfill these requirements, but before getting into pattern of going back to same resorts 10 years in a row I wouldn't mind exploring any alternatives that might work.

We would go outside school holidays so obviously it would be requirement as well that children's or adult group off-piste is offered outside peak weeks also.

Tkx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peanuthead, if the SC aspect is not critical it sounds as though a Club Med might suit you well - from other reports here on snowheads the top level groups are very good indeed, above the level of most British holiday skiers. Lots for kids to do, other kids to do it with.

IME when 4 year olds are in ski school lessons they don't stop skiing when it starts snowing. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, good suggestion. Probably will come in more expensive than SC though, which may be deciding factor against it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
peanuthead, Avoriaz may suit you all. There is a good children's ski school in the middle of the resort, evolution 2 for the adults, good self catering apartments, ski in/out, easy to go back to apartment for lunch, and new indoor pool complex.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w,

Beat me too it.

peanuthead,
When adding up the costs - don't forget that CM include everything (Flights, transfers, drink, food, ski/boot hire (if opted for), tuition, lift passes etc etc). Hotels often have swimming pools as well. It's quite possible to do a CM holiday and only money you'll spend is a tip for the ski instructor (if you think they deserve it)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
peanuthead, my dear friend.

You have a terrible problem which requires careful thought and planing. Choice of resort is the least of your worries.

Groups with different expectations of a skiing holiday are one thing but a family with different expectations is quite another, especially with (usually) money being tight and a ski holiday probably being the biggest discretionary expenditure of the year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed123, thanks for that. How I know you are right is from bitter experience!!

But by trial and error we have found what works. A nice apartment, space and time for the kids to be allowed unwind, wi-fi for i-pads, regular treats, all help. It helps my OH genuinely likes to take a few afternoons off skiing, and is quite happy to supervise kids making a snowman and taking pictures and posting them to FB instead of ripping up the pistes. She likes to cook. Payback is I do ALL the cleaning up (I still get a good deal)

In any family holiday, mealtimes can be a stress, particularly trying to get everyone ready and out the door. This is hugely obviated in the SC setup.

But you are right, this does need careful thought, and the title of this thread being about different expectations rather than different abilities sums it up
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peanuthead, Club Med probably would be a fair bit more expensive than SC, especially if you and your OH are between you willing and able to cook and clear away.

One suggestion - though not cheap - is that everybody in the family, including you, does lessons at their own level in the mornings, then have a couple of hours together having lunch and doing a bit of snowman building etc, followed by a last hour or two skiing for the keen ones, including yourself. You might find that being really stretched in the mornings would reduce your frustration at doing things at "family pace" later in the day. It's a shame to look on time spent building snowmen or toboganning with a 4 year old as a waste of time - the years for such activities are short and precious.

Having lessons in the morning gets everybody up, dressed, and out of the apartment promptly. Otherwise it's easy to waste time pottering round in pyjamas, arguing about what to do, debating whether the visibility is good enough and generally faffing.

You need a nice apartment close to the slopes and preferably fairly close to the ski school meeting place. Loads of places fit the bill - Avoriaz sounds a good call.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks pam w. In fact your suggestion is not far off our modus operandi, with the advantage of some of the larger French resorts being that ESF will generally offer classe 4 throughout the season and not just at peak times, so we all go to same (or more or less the same) meeting point, and meet up together afterwards. Avoriaz is also close to GVA I believe which is another advantage.

Would it be the case that either ESF or Evo 2 in Avoriaz would offer off-piste classes as well as the various children's classes throughout the entire season does anyone know?

But I am of course open to recommendations from other countries besides France if anyone has any ideas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead, i am pretty much in similar situation with 4 and 6 year old kids, and a wife who occasionally ventures off piste with me (make of that what you like). We have found that for us too the SC option works best but we tend to go for 'large' properties outside or on peripheries of resorts. They are significantly cheaper and often come with a private garden for the kids to mess about in. As we always drive to the alps getting to the slopes for morning lessons is not a problem and getting back to the chalet/apartment for lunch is just as easy. On those basis in last few years we have been to Plagne 1800, Samoens and Morzine. Morzine has loads of off slope attractions include a new sports complex with an indoor swimming pool. When we have stayed in Samoens we drove down to Cluse to the indoor pool.

PS I have now given up trying to do any 'daddy' skiing during family holidays and instead when the kids are in lessons i do short 'tours' or simply skin up to the top lifts. Gets me fit and ready for 'daddy time' weeks and saves me some money on lift passes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
peanuthead, I'm sure this idea will be trashed due to the usual stories about being it expensive, cold, dark, small resort etc but one of the best trips I and the family ever did was to Trysil in Norway. We have different needs and expectations as the OP but this place worked for us - especially SC (B&B) at the Radisson Blu with lots of facilities on site.

Just a thought with a different perspective.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about Alpe d'Huez? Lots of easy, cruisey runs for the younger ones to enjoy, but some excellent testing blacks (especially the infamous Tunnel) for the OP. Plus everything in between and plenty of mileage available.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
damobloke1, I don't think so

HoneyBunny, I haven't been but always been interested. Is there off-piste group lessons there throughout year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courchevel1550 worked unexpectedly well for us in a mixed group, not sure about kids skischool costs (the rest seemed rather more reasonable than I expected) but the sledging run will keep kids entertained for quite some time and the big new spa/pool thing should be a short bus ride up the hill. For you lots of choice of lessons/runs and as long as you stay in courchevel/meribel you can get home fast.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy