Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Views etc on the new Marker Kingpin Binding?

Poster: A snowHead
Apparently embargo lifted 1st Sept:

https://www.wildsnow.com/14351/nevado-chillan-marker-binding-testing/#comment-62319

Pin tech / Freeride / Din Certified? Due this season or next?

Thoughts/ rumours/ speculation? or just what till Monday?

Paging Spyderjon!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are 3 questions you have to ask:-

i. is it lighter than a TLT Speed?
ii. is it cheaper than a TLT Speed?
iii. is it more functional and reliable than a TLT Speed?

If not it is just another hipster metrosexual binding for hairdressers who like to have a lot of crap in their garage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would assume it'll be at ISPO in Feb 15 & available for the 15/16 season. Rumour is that it'll be din certified with a tech toe but with an alpine style heel closure - which must move out of the way to allow for the walk mode so something Vipec'esque I'd guess. Only a couple of days to wait to find out though.

I'd assume the target market is the freeride tourers (emphasis on downhill performance as opposed to weight?) so if the binding's on the heavier side then the questions that davidof ask above should be directed to the Beast 14/16 & Radical 2 but Dynafit have had a season or two head start & they also have patents on all the obvious solutions & their bindings are also now din certified. Only if they can get the weight right down will it be a competitor to the Speeds/Plums/Vipec but as davidof says, the hard core tourers/ski mountaineers will still be on Speed Radicals/TLT Speeds so won't care Toofy Grin

Dynafit also have the major advantage of manufacturing the tech inserts for both their own boots & for Scarpa (which between the two of 'em must be a large portion of the boot market) so they can get the binding specs exactly right for the boots. For evidence of this look at the trouble the Vipec has had with it's adjustable toe pins which have been unreliable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
If not it is just another hipster metrosexual binding for hairdressers

I'd expect hipsters to be on old-school brakeless tech bindings with rotating heels. Or possibly 3-pin stuff.

No, instead it'll be a big, expensive, heavy binding for people who don't really know what they want, let alone what they need, and have much more money than sense. In this respect it is a perfect product for the 'freeride' market, and I'm sure it'll do every bit as well as the Beast (with loads of excess stock going super cheap at the end of last season, for example).

The heelpiece looks interesting. It'll be nice if they can do something that doesn't require modifications to the boot.

spyderjon wrote:
Would assume it'll be at ISPO in Feb 15 & available for the 15/16 season.

...so not fit for use until 16/17 at the earliest wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tough Crowd tonight!

Well it beats the TLT speed for me because its got brakes, last skied leashes in 1975 and I don't fancy going back.

I m guessing that it was meant to come out at the same time as the Volkl BMT skis but has been held up and might be rushed out this season like the Vipec was mid season last year. Given they have a "a big, expensive, heavy binding" in the Duke I m thinking it needs to do a lot better than that. Anyway, off to my metaphorical metrosexual garage to sort my crap out!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want a brake then the Radical 2 is going to be very hard to beat.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
If you want a brake then the Radical 2 is going to be very hard to beat.

Thats what I am thinking and planning to talk to you about!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/AdGjZ5bBmPk
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://marker.net/kingpin/

Costs: https://www.wildsnow.com/13542/marker-tech-binding-pintech/#comment-62342 says $600-$650, but who knows what relation that has to the price this side of the pond. Weight will be something like 730g per unit inc brake, so a bit more than the radical and a bit less than the beast. Certainly not as meaty as I was anticipating.

Interesting heel design, doesn't even bother with the pins. Not quite sure why they're so excited about having 6 springs in the toe, though?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
French retailer saying demo kit available in store in Sept, with product for sale in Dec, but no pricing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahh, saw there was a review in French up on youtube already, but only caught 'september' and 'december' without any useful context.

I suspect it won't do so well if it costs more than the Beast, so I'd bet on a price of the order of £500 to £600, maybe? Beta testing gets pricier every year wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If it's cheaper and lighter than the Beast, tours better than the Duke and skis at least as well, I could be tempted to replace the (now pretty sloppy!) Barons I use on all my skis but the pure touring rig.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Rad 2 is all over this, let alone the B14/16.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
The Rad 2 is all over this, let alone the B14/16.

When it comes to excess hype and wild speculation about products no-one has used and no-one can buy, in an area when new products are notoriously unreliable... I'd say they're pretty even, actually.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou's review:

https://www.wildsnow.com/14363/marker-kingpin-binding-review/
latest report
Heh, I was just about to link that wink

The shiny bits were made in Wales, which is nice.
snow conditions
More here (hopefully new):

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/marker-announces-all-new-backcountry-binding?dom=tw&pub=skg
latest report
I'm getting pretty interested in this, as an everday/all day/everything binding to replace my barons; I'm not convinced that the Rad 2 will ski hard snow nicely enough for that (and the Beasts are too expensive/heavy). Kingpin for everyday plus current TLT Speeds for pure touring days? Will have to wait and see...
latest report
Looks great - for simplistic light minimal binding then TLT speed still wins....
But for a one ski quiver that you might use in resort / 1000m day tours <etc> this looks like a winner.
700g per binding is pretty reasonable.
And the price seems sensible.

Though I thought similar about Fritshci Vipec and G3 Oynx when I first saw them Wink
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Though I thought similar about Fritshci Vipec and G3 Oynx when I first saw them Wink

me too and that's why I won't be upgrading for a season or 2
snow report
The reviews out there at the minute all seem a bit too 'advertorial'. They all go on about it being the 'first DIN certified tech binding' - but didn't Dynafit beat them quite easily to the punch, at least in terms of actually announcing DIN certified bindings? (No idea when the actual certificates themselves were published mind you)

And why do all the articles refrain from mentioning the competition? Why no comparison with Radical 2.0/Beast bindings, at least in terms of specs if the authors haven't actually skied them all?
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
The reviews out there at the minute all seem a bit too 'advertorial'. They all go on about it being the 'first DIN certified tech binding' - but didn't Dynafit beat them quite easily to the punch, at least in terms of actually announcing DIN certified bindings? (No idea when the actual certificates themselves were published mind you).....

Yep, the Dynafit's passed the actual tests first (as announced at ISPO back in Feb) but the certs won't be issued until the tech manuals have been completed & issued to TUV who issue the certification. I believe that this is happening at the moment. So the Dynafits were tested (& passed) first but Marker have got their cert first.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I'm getting pretty interested in this, as an everday/all day/everything binding to replace my barons; I'm not convinced that the Rad 2 will ski hard snow nicely enough for that (and the Beasts are too expensive/heavy).....

After skiing the B16 & the Rad(1) on hardpack I reckon that it's the pivoting toe that's the major contributor to taking the 'harshness' out of the hard snow performance of a tech binding as opposed to the heel. And a B14 is lighter than a Kingpin fitted with brakes.

BTW, I'll be selling the Dynafits & the Markers so between the two there's something for everyone Cool
snow conditions
spyderjon wink

I'm planning to do the sensible thing like Arno, but... wink

BTW, can you buy Dynafit parts separately? As in, buy two Rad2 toes (and then use with my current heels)? I seem to remember you could do that with old stock anyway, btu guess they'd be prety reluctant with brand new models...
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
spyderjon.....can you buy Dynafit parts separately? As in, buy two Rad2 toes (and then use with my current heels)? I seem to remember you could do that with old stock anyway, btu guess they'd be prety reluctant with brand new models...

Complete Rad 2 toe assemblies aren't listed in my parts list but that doesn't mean they won't be available. The current Rad (1) toe assembly isn't actually listed separately but they could still be obtained so I can't see why it couldn't be possible but probably not from the outset.
snow report
fixx wrote:
The reviews out there at the minute all seem a bit too 'advertorial'. They all go on about it being the 'first DIN certified tech binding' - but didn't Dynafit beat them quite easily to the punch, at least in terms of actually announcing DIN certified bindings? (No idea when the actual certificates themselves were published mind you)

The announcement, (a bit like DIN certification for tech bindings in the first place) is just marketing. Its an impressive sounding but largely valueless claim, and a fuck you to dynafit.

And yeah, the previews are all a bit tediously gushing. I wonder if Marker have put the thumbscrews on the early testers and limited what they are allowed to say. They certainly seem to have stage-managed the release quite well... I don't quite remember the Dynafit Beast hype engine being quite so slick, but maybe that's just not something that sticks in my memory...

clarky999 wrote:
BTW, can you buy Dynafit parts separately? As in, buy two Rad2 toes (and then use with my current heels)? I seem to remember you could do that with old stock anyway, btu guess they'd be prety reluctant with brand new models...

So you want to replace your tried, tested and reliable toepieces with new, untested and mechanically more complex ones, whose primary purpose seems to be for DIN certification, rather than touring or skiing better? Seems like an odd thing to want to do!
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
spyderjon wink

I'm planning to do the sensible thing like Arno.

Possibly first usage of this sentence ever re reticence in buying bright n shiny ski things
latest report
Serriadh wrote:

clarky999 wrote:

So you want to replace your tried, tested and reliable toepieces with new, untested and mechanically more complex ones, whose primary purpose seems to be for DIN certification, rather than touring or skiing better? Seems like an odd thing to want to do!

My toe peices are pretty knackered, and the locking mechanism doesn't hold so well (it's the old style with 'teeth' rather than an 'on/off' lever). No problems at all skiing, but I have to 're-tighten' the lock lever every third or fourth kick turn otherwise I release (yes, it's a ball ache!). That's only while skinning though; downhill I've had no release problems at all.

Other than that, it seems like the toe rotation is a large part of what supposedly makes them less harsh on hard snow, which would be nice. Also I'm assuming with the extra mechanisms in there the toe will be a littler higher, and reduced ramp angle would also be a win.

I honestly couldn't give a flying Be Nice please! about DIN certification though, my primary interest in new binders is hard snow feel, though not being knackerd and with less ramp would also obviously be nice!

EDIT: I'm also quite happy with the brakeless rotating heels on my current Dynafits. Spyderjon's B&D leashes are great and I feel no need for brakes whilst touring.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 3-09-14 23:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
spyderjon wink

I'm planning to do the sensible thing like Arno.

Possibly first usage of this sentence ever re reticence in buying bright n shiny ski things

Laughing Laughing Might be right there!!
ski holidays
clarky999, you're right re the rotating toes dampening effect plus the delta on the Rad 2 is greatly reduced 7.5/8mm.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Other than that, it seems like the toe rotation is a large part of what supposedly makes them less harsh on hard snow, which would be nice.

That may be the case for the Beast 16... but the toe design for that is quite different to the Radical 2. Has anyone actually skiied the new Radical 2 toe and commented on its vibration dampening compared to conventional tech toe pieces? I don't recall seeing any previes/reviews of it, but I might have just missed them.
snow conditions
Serriadh, Hence why I'm planning to wait awhile!
ski holidays
2 random thoughts....

1) Brakes on tech bindings are slightly over-rated IMHO.
To avoid run away skis you still need to remember to keep the heel piece engaged before taking skins off.
Plus leashes are quite nice if you are putting skis on a steeper or more exposed slope.
.... and brakes = 300g extra weight Wink

2) I think the whole hard snow / "elasticity" thing has been over blown quite a lot.
Personally I quite like the direct contact dynafit has with the snow ?
On 90-100mm wide skis with touring boots you are never going to get race style performance ?
Elasticity is more to do with the way a boot releases from the bindings in event of a crash - rather than dynamic movement at the boot / binding interface during normal skiing.
Of course others will disagree : but the Fritschi Vipec fundamentally felt sloppy because of the weak springs ?
latest report
For those who haven't already seen it on Wildsnow,

https://www.wildsnow.com/14413/binding-tech-barthel-marker/
http://www.google.com/patents/EP0519243A1?cl=de

Not much new under the sun, eh?
snow report
Quote:

2) I think the whole hard snow / "elasticity" thing has been over blown quite a lot.
Personally I quite like the direct contact dynafit has with the snow ?
On 90-100mm wide skis with touring boots you are never going to get race style performance ?
Elasticity is more to do with the way a boot releases from the bindings in event of a crash - rather than dynamic movement at the boot / binding interface during normal skiing.
Of course others will disagree : but the Fritschi Vipec fundamentally felt sloppy because of the weak springs ?

Yep, I totally disagree. Vipec is shite, because it's shite. Ski a Beast you'll get it, see how Alpine bindings feel/work, that's what we're talking about, want. Do you wanna ride a road bike down a WC DH track, I hope not.
snow conditions
I'm with CH2O on this. Dynafits are not enjoyable on hard snow, and on re-frozen choppy style hard snow they're simply Be Nice please! horrible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy