Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix versus chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I am part of a group of 29 Australians hoping to ski France or Switzerland in Jan 2016. We are after a large house to cater for all of us and have found one in Chatel and one in Chamonix but have no idea which resort would be better and why. We skied Breckenridge this year and it was awesome and are off to Niseko Japan in 2015. We are a mixture of advanced and intermediate skiers who prefer piste with the occasional off piste skiing. Suggestions on these two place are welcomed and also any other comments on good places to ski that would have large private accommodation in the one house for 29 people. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Devils playground, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Those are very different places - Chatel small and quiet, Chamonix a major resort and town, in the midst of some of the most iconic mountain scenery in Europe. Skiing in Chamonix is in different areas (ie not lift-linked) but offers everything. Chatel has access to a huge lift-linked area, the Portes du Soleil, which might be preferable if you all ski mostly on-piste and want to to "travel" conveniently on skis over a large distance - and two countries (France and Switzerland).

Are you looking for catered accommodation or self-catering?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Devils playground, Welcome!

Where is the house in Chamonix? We have property in Chamonix (but not that size Happy ) so I'd be delighted to comment on it impartially. As Pam says, very different areas. I like them both. I think Chamonix gives you a bit more bang for your buck in terms of the big mountain experience. But I don't think either would disappoint.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's for your feedback. We are considering both catered and non catered. The place in Chamonix is http://www.bigfoot-travel.co.uk/accom_details.asp?id_acco=27.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Devils playground, if that's the one I think it is, it's behind the Super-U supermarket. Pretty good location, stumbling distance from all the bars, etc. and a pretty easy walk up an admittedly steep hill to Brevent. Also near the bus stop to get elsewhere if you don't have cars.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
G'day guys. I am one of the 29! I have a question. We are thinking of coming early January. Is the snow cover ok that time of year. And when looking at chatel v chamonix , would not be better to go go to chatel where you babe Acess to 12 resorts. Especially as we are all,families with kids and don't really go out that much. But on the other hand , having bars close etc is important !!

Ciao
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We are thinking of coming early January. Is the snow cover ok that time of year

yes, normally, and it's a good time because very low season in France. Cheaper accommodation and much less crowded.

You might like to think about access from accommodation to pistes. And if you have kids who will appreciate snow to play in right outside the door, that might not be happening right down in Chamonix itself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Pam. Great points. That's why I was thinking of Chatel. The place we have is in town and a walk to Super chatel. Looks like it would cater for all levels. Most of us ski in piste all the time.

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to ski mostly on piste, then go for Chatel with the Portes de Soleil area - you'll enjoy the variety and easy access.

I love Chamonix, but it's better for offpiste as the pistes are quite split up over several areas. The nightlife is excellent though - but with so many of you I'm sure you can make your own entertainment in Chatel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roosterski, there are some snowheads who know Chatel very well and can advise on precise locations.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the comments - they are so valuable. we are planning on staying at this place - Chaelt Les Fougeres. see www.chalet-chatel74.com/en does anyone know about this place. they tel lme that you are in the main street of town and from there you walk to the Super Chatel Gondola and restaurants etc. is it that easy?!

cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roosterski, I've only really walked from the Chatel telecabine to the bus stop (many, many times) but I think that place looks really good and is very definitely, very central, just along from the Mairie at 36 rue du Petit-Chatel
http://bit.ly/1BXAX3z
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
that is fantastic mate - thanks for your comments -
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+ 100 for Chatel Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roosterski wrote:
G'day guys. I am one of the 29! I have a question. We are thinking of coming early January. Is the snow cover ok that time of year. And when looking at chatel v chamonix , would not be better to go go to chatel where you babe Acess

I'm not sure the babe access is that great in either resort although Chamonix tends to have some comely Scandi barmaids in Chambre Neuf.

Out of your choice for a mixed family group I'd go to Chatel. CHX is brilliant but it's a pain in the ass for a party of that size if you take into account different abilities/lessons/some wanting sunny skiing/others wanting best snow etc etc. On the upside it's got loads more to do for non-skiers and for evening options.
snow report
There is a lot of work going on at the top of the Super Chatel gondola, word is they are putting in a magic carpet there. Plus, there are also a number of nursery slopes next to the Carpet AND there is a great little area which I call a 'Step up slope' - a short blue run serviced by 2 drags and a restaurant, great for when the beginners are ready for a step up from green/nursery to blue but don't have the confidence/stamina for a full blue.

Also, the Pre la Joux area (a bus ride from the centre) has access to plenty of nursery slopes and green run with great access to ski schools operating there too and also has plenty of restaurants on the slopes - having skied in Chamonix as well, I find the amount of restaurants actually on the slopes to be a problem there, but here in Chatel there is literally a restaurant for every day of the week

the place you are looking at looks great for your group size etc, and if it gives you everything you need in terms of both location and comfort then to me it seems like a great offering.
ski holidays
Devils playground wrote:
...We are a mixture of advanced and intermediate skiers who prefer piste with the occasional off piste skiing...

This may (read: WILL) change if you do go to Niseko next year! Smile
ski holidays
Hi All and thanks for your responses! Very helpful. Are there lifts between all the resorts near Chatel or do you have to go by road? Also is there one lift ticket covering all resorts? Cheers
ski holidays
Devils playground, The Portes de Soleil come under one lift pass and you can ski the full circuit without needing buses.
snow conditions
Thank you - awesome news! Very Happy
ski holidays
Devils playground, if they finish in time, there used to be a bus link to the Linga area but two chairlifts are going in for, hopefully, this season. Everything else (that you'll need) is lift linked.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy