Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Descent Beginner Snowboard equipment?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone. I am looking at buying a Snowboard package online. These were the items suggested to me:

Avalanche Prop Board
Flow Amp 3 Bindings
Sims Future Boots

Can you tell me if this is good equipment for someone who is just taking up snowboarding? I have ridden 2 times already and have decided that this is something I want to do often and don't want to throw away any more money on renting equipment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh yeah... the whole package is like $320.00 US. So the better question is am I getting my money's worth with it? And is it a good idea to buy this package or would I really be better off spending an extra 200-300 dollars? What gets me the best bang for the buck?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
don't go for a beginners package, you'll outgrow it far toooooo quickly!! You progress so quickly on a board that a beginners package just aint worth bothering with - i'd rent until i was sure of the kit i wanted!

Your taste in bindings are quality - although you may want to upgrade slightly and get something slightly stiffer, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise NehNeh i love flows but other people just love to critisise/slag them off for no apparent reason. Sorry don't know about the board or boots, but from what i can gather the boots are quite low spec'd and a low end price - i know price isn't everything but it's a very good gauge on boots, anything under £100 really i wouldn't bother with. You want something that has at least a moudable inner (preferably removeable liner) - so it moulds to the shape of your foot. I definately go away from conventional laces as well - look for something to pull on like the salomon system or vans twisty tightener wire lace thingy (- very scientific i know!).

Only thing that is a must is to wear the boots before buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't buy boots over the phone/internet!!!! You normal size wont necessarily translate into a snowboard boot due to the linings etc they use & every manufacuturer is different. They are the most important piece of kit you'll buy (except the liftpass Wink ), try on as many pairs as poss, spend some time wearing them in the shop (until they are well and truely bored of you!!) and spend whatever to get a decent pair but do not skimp or you'll end up buying a new pair in a few weeks, you wont enjoy your riding and you'll be very fed up very quickly!!!!!! Also make sure the boots you buy, can fit in the bindings well, not all boots go well with flows, whereas most boots fit straps quite well.

For decent kit that will last a few seasons and you wont outgrow immediately, i'd expect to be paying around $500-600+ (but i work in british £ and convert so may be slightly less over there!), but if you buy it all together you may be able to get a nice discount.

Best of luck!

oh & welcome to snowHead we're mostly a british crowd but growing internationally everyday!! snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick response. The Sims boots I mentioned are heat moldable, but you are right.. they are low end. Party because they are last years models though. Thanks for your help. If anyone else has any input I would like to hear it as well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey jallen, welcome to snowheads snowHead
If you have the money and are truly going to be going often, then it's worth investing in some better gear. But even if you find good deals on last season's stuff, you'd still be looking at probably $600-$700 US pretty easily. If you just want a beginer setup that you'll replace later then this wouldn't be a bad setup: flow bindings are very easy and fast to get in and out of, which is a definite plus for begginers and avalanche boards are decent for budget boards. But the boots - you really have to try boots on in store. Boots are easily the most important piece of equiptment, and if you're only gonna spend money on one piece, do it on the boots for sure. Boots should be decently stiff, and super-snug around your foot - you shouldn't be able to lift your heel up without the heel of the boot also lifting. Try on lots of boots to get an idea of what is a snug fit and what isn't. Boots should also definitely have a "lace up liner" and should have footbeds that look like high-quality orthodox.

For a few things to think about if you wanna spend more and get equiptment that'll last you for years:
1) 04/05 Salomon SPX7 bindings for $149 + $12 shipping US - incredible bindings for a very nice price
http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Salomon-SPX7-Snowboard-Bindings-L-NEW_W0QQitemZ7203052230QQcategoryZ21248QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
2) 04/05 Option Redline $340 US (free shipping, from the states so no customs bullsh*t, $389.99 CAD) - great board, one of the few boards that newer riders and experienced riders can both get tons out of
http://www.boardroomshop.com/MAIN/show1fproduct.cfm?formkey=051208143721&ProductCode=OPT5RL5145&ProdID=1199&Dispgroup=1&CatID=267&CFID=4828120&CFTOKEN=27166574

Or for probably the best deal you'll find anywhere:
http://www.illuminatisnowboards.com/shop/snowboards.htm
Illuminati make great snowboards at good prices, and they do deals with Technine bindings, which are great bindings. If a 159cm long board is the right length for you, you can get the "Pitman" package - board and bindings for $324. For a 161.5 theres the Hybricon Sigil #1 (board and bindings for $399).
While we're on the topic of length, check out what length of snowboard you need here:
http://www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com/
If you're getting a setup to last you, and want to ride a bit of everything, I'd say put "intermediate" for your skill level, and go for something within 1-2 cm above or below the length it suggests for freeride.

Anyways, this post is long enough already, but if you need anything clarified just ask Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Heh, Dan posted while I was writing - much of the same stuff though.
Some good higher-end but still reasonable boots to try on by the way:
- Vans BFB
- Salomon Synapse
- Salomon Dialogue
- 32 Lashed
- DC Flare

Oh, and when buying boots, if you find something that fits nice, try it half a size lower. Get the smallest size that you can get into without your toes getting scrunched up or generally experiencing foot pain. It should feel like a large hand is wrapped around your whole foot and squeezing a bit harder than lightly.

As for the comments about flows and personal laces:
1) Flow bindings - some love them, some hate them. I have tried them a couple times and didn't get on with them. To me they are sloppier and less responsive than straps even when set-up properly, but others swear by them. Personally I wouldn't buy them without trying them first.
2) Laces - normal laces are totally fine, but the new systems seem to also work well. The comfort/fit of the boot should be the deciing factor, not the lacing system.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 9-12-05 0:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great minds and all that Wink Laughing

by the way i have the dialogues mentioned above and love them, infact i think a few of the guys on here have them or have had them and if they have had them they are now using the Synapses - if you are still following me Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy