Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or Les Arc 1950

Poster: A snowHead
I’m just about to book our annual family holiday and I’ve narrowed it down to either Avoriaz or Arc 1950 but can’t decide!!

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? We are a family of 4, daughter of 7 with 2 years under her belt, a son of 16, snowboarder, and a non skiing wife going in the middle of March.

Cost wise they’re roughly the same and we’ll be staying at the L’Amara in Avoraiz or Le Village in Arc 1950, does anyone have experience of either hotel?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not stayed in those specific hotels, but I have stayed in Avoriaz and Les Arcs. I prefer Avoriaz as a town in terms of it's design, layout and generally how it looks. They are both purpose built, but Avoriaz has, imho, far more character than Les Arcs. In terms of what to do for a non-skier, neither are amazing. There's Aquariaz in Avoriaz now, which is a nice pool and whatnot, but that's about it beyond the usual shops and eateries. You can get down to Morzine quite easily from Avoriaz tho, which is definitely a town in it's own right, and I suppose you could do the funicular to Bourg St Maurice from Les Arcs, but I think as a 'tourist destination' for want of a better description, Morzine is a bit nicer than Bourg.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RedorDead, i would probably go for Les Arcs as I like the ski ing area better than PDS, but feef, points about the two towns are valid
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

going in the middle of March

very good time to go to either, I'd say, as the French school hols finish 7 March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I'd go for Les Arcs, I didn't really enjoy Avoriaz all that much. Les Arcs is a very faux-chocolate box village but it has a fantastic location with ski in ski out and easy access to the lifts. I'm also a bit biased having worked my first season in Les Arcs, I just absolutely love the ski area. If anything I found PdS a bit too big, I prefer resorts that are slightly more compact.

The kids will love 1950 too. And be sure to go to the waffle shop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated. We've decided on Avoriaz, the Aquariaz sealed the deal with our daughter. Very Happy . When we factored everything in, transfer costs etc it was about £300 cheaper which is a bonus.

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arc 1950 is the choice in this family - by a long way. Disney creation on snow is accurate but Disney does it so well!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dav, I think it's quite natural to be biased about your first season, a bit like your first snog or whatever. For me it's Morzine and the PDS.

I do find "I found PdS a bit too big" a remarkably odd statement. In what way? You got lost?

To me, that's a bit like saying that France is "too big".

Ski areas can certainly be a little too small, but too big? How does that work?

(I don't see how LA1950 can be any more ski in and out than Avoriaz? it's a bit of a binary state. Although I suppose you could have ski in or ski out but not both - i.e. ski in, hike out or vice versa).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RedorDead, I think you made the better choice with Avoiraz. Les Arcs 1950 is a lovely man made little village but considering you have a non skier in your group Avoiraz makes far better sense. There is a nice family feel to Avoiraz too with horse drawn carriage rides etc.
As for ski areas I liked Les Arc but reckon that Avoiraz PdS area is better again. Get the bus down to Morzine and there is a lot more to do too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RedorDead, hope you have a great trip
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been to both several times with my wife and 3 kids (15,13,and 11) and arc1950 is far better
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Probably been to Avoriaz 12 + times with old and young always enjoyed
It and so will you .

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RedorDead We've stayed at the Amara twice now. I recommend you book the biggest apartment you can i.e. an Espace over a Classique.

We loved the huge lounge- this was ours- and the view down to Morzine was magnificent! Smile

Other pluses are the heated boot racks, doorstep skiing, and good internet (no limits on devices unlike many places)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

One quick question - I'm thinking about booking the transfer with Alpybus, we've used them a couple of times for Chamonix and they've always been good. They state their shared transfer only goes to the Prodain Telefarique so I'm guessing we have to get the cable car up to the resort and then get one of the horse taxi's to the hotel. Does anyone know if there is a cost for the cable car?

MrSteve, we've booked the 2 bed apartment, it sounded big enough for what we need. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RedorDead, Ski Lifts will take you right up to the drop-off area in Avoriaz, so you don't need to go via the cablecar.
snow conditions
feef, thanks
snow conditions
RedorDead We've used Skiidy and Mountain Bus Company/Rolling Road for transfers. The latter ones will drop off/pick up in the underground car-park at the Amara if you ask nicely. Smile
snow conditions
MrSteve, thanks for the tip, I'll give them a try.
ski holidays
fwiw i always felt that avoriaz was utterly soulless. aquariaz would keep the your daughter happy for an afternoon, maybe two but your teenager won't think much of it.
ski holidays
maxhowarth, I rather like it. The architecture (for me) works. Just as well we're not all the same, eh?
latest report
so true. but you are dead right about the ski in/ski out-ness of avoriaz. it pretty much defines si/so.

to the op, i still think morzine is lovely.
ski holidays
RedorDead From the Amara ski-locker rooms you will only be able to access the Proclou blue and green runs- it's a nice easy start to the day though.

You then get the (currently being replaced) Proclou chair to come back up to the Lindarets crest just above Avoriaz and either ski back down into/through Avoriaz or head off down into Les Lindarets.
latest report
maxhowarth wrote:
so true. but you are dead right about the ski in/ski out-ness of avoriaz. it pretty much defines si/so.

as does 1950, you can literally take your ski off right outside the bar, waffleshop or accommodation (depending slightly where it is)
Then when you want to go play again, a little bit of poling and then you can ski down to Marmottes.
ski holidays
Loved Avoriaz when we went at Easter this year. Would love to be heading back in Feb.
latest report
I do like Avoriaz, but prefer to stay in Morzine for the better options. Def better snowboarding in Avoriaz for your son, especially if he's into parks. Not been to Les Arcs for a few years now though, so it may have come on some. We tend to use skiddy gonzales from geneva for our transfers - easy to spot at the airport, with those big sombreros and they're pretty flexible and well priced. At Avoriaz you'll still have to get from the drop off to your accomm though. Massive range of skiing there for all abilities.
ski holidays
Feel obliged to say that 1950 and Avoriaz are both my fave destinations and miles ahead of other places. Both are incredible. Especially for families. Though love the extra trees and feel of lindarets etc too in Avoriaz, the area has a really safe feel for kids.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy