Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler - maybe not a new lift, but maybe a makerspace/hackerspace.......

Poster: A snowHead
Gathering and asking for some thoughts from talking with town councillors, with possible option of a slope side makerspace/hackerspace in Whistler.

For anyone that doesn't know what one is, its like a geeky workshop / craft space where anyone can "do stuff". Typically through the week different themed (free) learning classes for users and drop in guests.

so the quick questions,

would anyone considering a whistler season make use of a maker/hacker space? We have a surprising amount of tech/degree seasonal and locals in town.

would anyone on a holiday consider visiting a space (if it existed) during your trip. Especially if you were bribed with some sort of unobtainable reward like a locals mtn guiding or some cool 3d printed trinket. Maybe something to see in an afternoon or on a bad weather day.

Comments please!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 23-08-14 14:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulhothersall, you need to translate.

What is makerspace hackerspace?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulhothersall, why would it be interesting when you're there to ride? It's not exactly snow related is it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no idea what that is
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lost in translation here too
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulhothersall, not going this winter but if I did then absolutely. But only if I was there for a season, don't think I'd be up for it if I was just there on holiday.

For those who don't know it's a collab space where developers/designers go to work on projects/get exposed to what other people are doing.

under a new name, for some it might be how they pay for themselves, for others they might just want to get something done on their latest project during a whiteout.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No. No interest at all. If I've dropped thousands to fly halfway around the world and have all of Whistler Blackcomb to play with, WHY would I spend my time wrangling code or fettling some Hello Kitty keychain out of an extruder. I go to the mountains to get away from a keyboard.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulhothersall, I have never gone to the hackerspace in Manchester but maybe I would be less reluctant to use one if I was doing a season somewhere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah wrote:
paulhothersall, not going this winter but if I did then absolutely. But only if I was there for a season, don't think I'd be up for it if I was just there on holiday.

For those who don't know it's a collab space where developers/designers go to work on projects/get exposed to what other people are doing.

under a new name, for some it might be how they pay for themselves, for others they might just want to get something done on their latest project during a whiteout.

Still don't have a clue.

Is that some kind of IT talk?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead, Try here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, Laughing peanuthead, do keep up. I'm an old age pensioner and I understood Timmaah's explanation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I get it now. Why did I get idea it was something to do with skiing?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyway, attractions are obvious.
You can write off your ski trip as business expense.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think i was under the impression it was for Skiing, if it's a IT Hackerspace i would agree with the sentiment, i'm on Holiday for the mountain / snow. I can do coding during the week if i want, i do take my laptop typically but that's generally for a tiny bit of work and some evening browsing / photos whilst the Mrs is catching up on her bits of work. (P.S. not going to Whistler yet)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulhothersall,

Not quite sure if I get the down with the kids terminology, but yes when I was doing seasons in Whistler I did do a bit of opensource work and research to keep me in-touch with the working world so can see the relevance of doing this (this was quite some time ago though!), . Though I tried quite hard, it wasn't entirely possible to fill all my time with skiing and drinking snowHead
I think there was an article in the pique some time back about the amount of highly qualified talent in Whistler (no Kenny, that's not you! wink ), and I think Jackson hole as one of the highest concentration of PhDs anywhere.
Probably a good time to convince someone in the council to support this since they seem to be trying to attract events like TED (even though I've not quite figured out why you'd pay to go to this - I'd want paying! Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
stuarth, we just had the "growconf" for the first time in whistler, (themed "LIVING IN A CONNECTED WORLD" a.ka.a. internet of things) along with a well attended hackathon.

There are a few places in town, like creekside, that are low occupancy right now. Council as well as having money to develop things for town, also are keen to help fill up spaces especially if the possibility is say nearby office type spaces could then host new startup tech businesses etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy