Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz for mixed group

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

After watching 'few words' and 'one of those days' Im getting drawn to La Clusaz for next year. We'll be a very mixed group, atleast 1 whos only done a week on snow, 1 boarder whos quite confident now on piste but scared to death off piste and me who wants to do as much off piste as possible on skis or maybe board on piste.

So a couple of questions:

Are there many flat bits? Last year we went to Kitzbuehel and I chucked the snowboard back in the bag after day one as the flat bits were killing me and they were everywhere there wasnt many ways to avoid them either.

Whats the offpiste like? Is it only accessable with a guide or is there scope to explore in the Balme area without getting into too much trouble?

Is there any good tree skiing?

any other bits of advice? Best time to go, any good accomodation recomendations, anything/where to avoid?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
avoid the French holidays - four weeks - last three in February, 1st week of March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flat bits are easily avoidable -(hint) tend to be marked green on piste maps - but overall I'd say La Clusaz is a steeper than average resort. Beauregard Plateau is good for nervous beginners, as is much of Le Grand Bornand, the twin resort which is also on the Aravis lift pass. La Balme and its neighbouring cols are superb for off piste, maybe hire a guide at the start of the week just to be shown around? Make sure you're safe, of course. Not renowned for tree skiing but its low enough to find plenty. Sadly, fatal accident last season involving one.
Pam's French holiday warning also applies to New Year. One other thing, because it's not far from Geneva and Annecy, weekends can get busy too if conditions are right. Ski early or over lunch if you want quiet pistes; it is very French. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

over lunch if you want quiet pistes; it is very French

good point. there was somebody suggested here a couple of days ago that the French were too mean to buy lunch. Laughing I take it for granted that new Year is stupidly busy everywhere.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gvj wrote:
Flat bits are easily avoidable -(hint) tend to be marked green on piste maps

Haha, they wernt in Kitzbuhel, they just cropped up everywhere so far too much walking involved for me.

Cheers for the other advice, it sounds like it will be suitable for us
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flat bits: Nothing like Kitz for flat parts. There's one long cat track to get to the Balme, but I think you can avoid that if higher runs are open, and even if you end up on it it's not completely flat.

Off piste: Everything in the Balme is open and easy to scope, it's not huge compared the big off piste places but if you get lucky with the snow there'll be powder and it looks very nice. I suspect there are some very interesting options with a short walk, but I've never had chance to ski them.

Trees: There are a few tree lined pistes, I don't think there's any good off-piste in the trees, could be wrong though, I've only visited for a couple of days.

Busy time: It's France, so avoid NY and the Feb break.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fabulous tree lines up at Etale on the left as you get off the top lift!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
medlington, we had a day in La Clusaz in April and really enjoyed it. We have been very near it and driven through it for many years and finally got to ski there. Being late season we parked in Balme but despite being late and therefore patchy snow we did manage to have a quick look over in Beauregard area and were impressed with what we saw. I remember thinking that the blue back down to the village from there Guy Perillat? was rather steep (for a blue) in places but then again beginners would probably have more options in better snow than we had on patchy snow in April. We will go back again soon but I believe that it is worse than many other French resorts in Feb hols.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can highly recommend the Hotel Chalet Alpage. It's a little way out of town (on the bus route), but has a choice of ski runs on the doorstep, as well as a lovely outdoor hot-tub overlooking the piste and a covered, heated swimming pool. Food is excellent too (although run like a chalet, so not much choice). Thierry, who runs it, is quite a character! The hotel is also flexible, so you can arrive and depart any day. It's great for short breaks, as only an hour from Geneva.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed just outside La Clusaz for a few days on our way to Morzine in early February last year. Stayed at hotel/restaurant U Fredy which is right on the piste and next to telemix l'etale chair lift and truly ski in/out. Cost us less than 50Euro a night and although a simple no frills place the rooms were large, clean and warm, the food great and the drinks cheap. Booked for a night initially and ended up staying for 5 nights. The village centre was a 5-10 min drive away though if we wanted to go out at night.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy