Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Scarpa Maestrale touring boots + BD aspect skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

The fall in temperatures this week has reminded me winters coming. I'm looking to invest a bit in my touring gear and have been giving the Scarpa Maestrale Touring boots quite a bit of attention. They'll be my first proper touring boots to take over from my Salomon quests I have at the moment. The Salomons are alright for short tours but best inbounds and for teaching. The walk mode is not amazing, they sole is not grippy in the slightest and their not exactly the lightest. The above reasons are why I am attracted to the Scarpas so much.

I have two questions.

Firstly for anyone with experience with them how do you rate them?

Secondly is the last forgiving at all for wideish feet? I get on really well with the newest generation of Scarpa lasts which they use on the hiking boots. Any note worthy comment on general fit? Do they use the same last for ski boots?

When I'm ready to buy I'll go in to a shop and try them on of course but I'm just looking for a general idea.

Also BD aspect skis; having seen them in the flesh I'm also impressed by the weight but I've not had a chance to test them. I'll use them almost exclusively for touring in Scotland but I come from a downhill background and my current touring skis are "modified" downhill skis. My only experience with full on touring skis was not enjoyable; I just found them way too light and narrow to have any kind of stability. Again, how do you guys rate these?

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cameron
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cammyammy, no comment on the BDs but so long as you don't go for the super light rando stuff lots of the light skis will be like their downhill equivalent and depend on other factors like width under foot, radius, rocker etc. also the binding will have an impact with tech bindings being the best.
I have maestrals RS and recommend them highly. I have a wide fore foot to say the least, and they fit fine thanks to colin at solutionsforfeet. The arch is high.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cammyammy, I've skied 35 days in Maestrale RS since I got them in March 2013 and they're as good on piste as they are for touring. Actually, for holiday resort skiing, they're better than a pure alpine boot because they're comfy to tramp about in and their rubber soles are as reassuringly grippy on concrete, metal and tarmac as they are for bootpacking to the snow line in the Scottish mountains.

I'd also swear by Scott Powdairs for both on and off-piste, as they've safely got me down everything Scotland has thrown at me so far including Highlands gullies and have surfed spring bumps and powder in Val D'Isere and Ischgl. Mine are a trad profile but I believe the newest versions are supposed to have a little rocker too.

Mine are a 2011/black but the 2013/white version at £310 is a reasonable bargain in a traditional camber profile ... http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/alpine_ski/scott/powd_air-59067.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy