Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada-Big White-Early December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am planning my first trip to Canada to get some of that lovely powder I hear so much about. I will be travelling early December and staying for two weeks. I have read a lot about Big White and would love to try it(it ticks all the boxes for us) but early December is right at the start of the season and I'd like to be as certain as one can be of good snow. Just me and my girlfriend. Both of us are well into the intermediate stage and want to learn how to ski powder. Looking for a quiet resort- skiing is the main thing and busy night life not a factor in resort selection. Thoughts/suggestions on Big White or alternatives in Canada.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-08-14 13:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billybob, can't comment on early season but we loved it. Suggest you put big white early December in the thread title and you might attract the eye of folk who have specific knowledge. There is one condo owner on here but for the life of me I can't remember his name.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks holidaylover
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
billybob, Haven't been there myself but it's billed as a "Family Resort" ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thoughts - don't go early December if you want guaranteed. powder. Even though interior Bc can have. great early season snow. you might also get snain, rain or permafog.

Otherwise. Big Whiteout is fine for intermediates if a bit Aussie for some tastes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
billybob, I'm heading there for the season and will get there in October (the season is due to start by the start of december). If you do decide to come out to Big White and need any help, feel free to PM me. It will be my first time there, so I'm not sure exactly how useful I'll be, but the offer is there!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thebronsonite, Thanks that's really decent of you. I'm actually going Dec 2015 for my honeymoon! Hence the need to make sure its as good as it can be and the forward planning! Be great if you would post your thoughts on the resort on here. And have a great time sounds amazing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think in all the canadian resorts early December is early season. In my experience although the snow can be OK, its pretty thin, so you may well experience rocks, vegetation (brush) , bare patches etc. There may be limited runs open.

These are general comments and have never skied Big White in early season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
billybob, ah, OK. Well I might be back there in 2015, who knows!
I'll make sure to post up reviews and info, so keep an eye out Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I think in all the canadian resorts early December is early season. In my experience although the snow can be OK, its pretty thin, so you may well experience rocks, vegetation (brush) , bare patches etc. There may be limited runs open.

I agree: you might be lucky, but you very well might not. Certainly the chances of "lovely powder" will be a lot lower that early in the season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most resorts open the last week of November but limited runs. It depends of the snow deity.
Lake Louise and Banff are usually open then. We went to Lake Louise/Banff in early December and it was great. Not a lot of coverage off piste but the groomed runs were good and there was no one there.
Silver Star usually opens for X-country mid November and down hill last weekend of Nov. Big White usually opens the same weekend.
Sun Peaks opens for limited skiing early Nov (ski teams from Europe) limited opening for every one else 3rd weekend of nov.
They open the mountains as they have enough snow to use. As most people will be locals not long distance travelers they update the web site and send out daily emails if your registered with them.
They don't piste all the runs every day so you can get your powder legs on the fresh stuff on the unpisted runs. Due to the vast number of people that will be out there you may have to share a run or 2 with other people. Don't wait around at the chair lift or you might start a queue or have to share a chair.
If you do go to the Okanagan area then take a day off and book a wine tour or dinner at one of the wineries and try the ice wines.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy