Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spittal of Glenshee Hotel Destroyed by Fire

Poster: A snowHead
Doesn't look to be much left of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-28832177

However, judging by the reviews on Trip Advisor it may be the best thing that has happended to it.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1077020-d675269-Reviews-Spittal_of_Glenshee_Hotel-Spittal_of_Glenshee_Perth_and_Kinross_Scotland.html[/url]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-08-14 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gaza, The BBC report says the hotel was empty - I wonder whether that means it had actually closed?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The last Trip Advisor report was from June so it may well have closed. Whether that was for refurb or bankruptcy I don't know. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had been closed for refurbishment (long overdue !), but had also just been put up for sale.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like a......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Levi215, exactly what I was thinking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, very suspicious
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
not the first time it has burnt from what i remember
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, is away at the moment, just sayin..............................................................................
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was a poo-poo hole, long overdue a burning
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always looked about as welcoming as a crack house so no great loss.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perhaps something will rise from the ashes that will be worth staying at.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
STV Report
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does sound suspicious but given the state it was in an electrical or other such cause may be just as likely.

The area could do with a decent hotel. The Bridge of Cally seems to be nice and do quite well. Currently, if I'm doing 2 days at Glenshee I'd stay in Braemar but if there was something nice at Spittal then I'd consider that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gaza, I stayed at the Spittal of Glenshee hotel probably about 5 or 6 years ago, and even then the rooms were a bit dilapidated and had seen better days. More recently I've stayed in Braemar at the Braemar Lodge. More expensive than the Spittal, but then again you get what you pay for...
latest report
Further info from the Courier

Quote:
It is not yet known if it is being treated as suspicious but a joint investigation into the cause of the blaze will be carried out by SFRS and Police Scotland.

The Courier understands that the business had recently changed hands and had not been trading for several weeks.
latest report
Hotel fire not suspicious say Police
snow report
Quote:
A police spokesman said: “Although it was unexplained, the fire is not being treated as suspicious at this time.

Spontaneous combustion?
Or result of some dispute between opposing referendum camps?
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Quote:
A police spokesman said: “Although it was unexplained, the fire is not being treated as suspicious at this time.

Spontaneous combustion?
Or result of some dispute between opposing referendum camps?

Look out for the xmas news were the police thank the hotel for providing the venue free of charge next year after it has been rebuilt. wink
ski holidays
Place was an utter joke, forced to stay there in February when A9 was closed on way to Cairngorm so shot across to Glenshee and ended up in the dump. It really was a health hazard and we refused to shower in the bathrooms for fear of legionnaires disease or some other horrible thing. Managed to get into the nae limits log cabin the following night and it was much much better.
latest report
About 5 weeks ago we parked our camper by the bridge for a couple of nights. We wandered past the hotel and, although it looked very uninviting, I think it was still open. We weren't desparate enough for a drink to go and find out though!

Just checked the dates: we left in the evening of the 14th Aug and the fire was in the early morning of the 18th Embarassed
latest report
A pity though. Some 15 years ago it was a lovely welcoming place.
We stopped there for breakfast on the way to Glenshee for a day's skiing between Xmas and New Year.
I remember roaring fires in grand fireplaces, large friendly dogs, and a lavish tasty breakfast.
When we tried a similar stop a few years ago the place was shut, and looked quite run-down.
So it goes.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
It does sound suspicious but given the state it was in an electrical or other such cause may be just as likely.

The area could do with a decent hotel. The Bridge of Cally seems to be nice and do quite well. Currently, if I'm doing 2 days at Glenshee I'd stay in Braemar but if there was something nice at Spittal then I'd consider that.

We need a decent hotel on the Perth side of Glenshee, I always thought that the Bridge of Cally was always just too close to Blairgowrie and therefore too far from Glenshee.

The Blackwater Inn seems to be up for sale but it looks like it hasn't been used in years, what happened to that place?
snow conditions
Latest I heard was it's still sitting empty
snow conditions
Yep nothings been done with it. All the old buildings need pulling down. Its an eye sore at present
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy