Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Vallees App/performance stats/sponsored challenges/SkiforCancer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok folks, forgive me if I ramble a little.

I lost my best friend, soulmate and general life inspiration to pancreatic cancer not 3 weeks ago after he put up one heck of a fight with it. My thoughts are still rather mashed and fuzzy but I'm trying to look forward, think of positive things I can do to keep his memory alive, and continue the work he did into fundraising, getting a desperately needed increase in research funding and raising general awareness of symptoms.

I stumbled across the Ski for Cancer site where they appear to organise challenges such as skiing the vertical drop of Mont Blanc in a day, or Everest in 2 days. It seems a different way to raise some money and motivate me to get some enjoyable time for myself during the next season. Anyone ever done this?

They seem to suggest that participants use the 3 Vallees app which logs your daily stats - has anyone ever actually used this and is it any good in terms of reliability?

Do other resorts/domains have similar stat-logging apps?

Can anyone confirm whether an iPhone is likely to have sufficient battery life to run such an app for hours at a time, and what would be the effect on data use? I did some sponsored runs for Andy last year and used tracker apps initially for my training but they absolutely guzzled data......

So why all the questions? Well in principal I'd love to do something like this....but I'm assuming (yet to ask them!) that Ski for Cancer would want all monies raised through an event organised by them to go directly to them. It's a great charity but right now I really want any money I raise to go to a specific Pancreatic Cancer charity (for obvious reasons). So I'm thinking that if the app is proven, and the kit/data usage required will cope then what would there be against me declaring my intention and doing something independently?

Sadly my only pals who ski are tied to Xmas/NY school holiday times, the time of year I am least likely to be granted leave (I'm A&E ambulance crew!) so although it would be great to have some company to do it, I may well have to go it alone.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts/ideas gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to hear your news.

The Ski Tracks app on my phone recorded the three trips I did last year, including one in Scotland and gave all the details on vertical and distance etc. It took little battery power and I used it all day. Maybe that would work for you ok
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I lost my best friend to this horrible cancer too. It is grim because it has so few symptoms until it is well established.

I wish you well with your fund raising endeavours and at getting through your loss. Sarah goes with me in life.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Skitracks, our group use it every year, doesn't use that much battery but you can get one of those additional batteries and leave it 'charging' in your pocket. You'll end the day with 80% or similar. Without it maybe 30-40%?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skismurf75, quite a few folk did the Everest challenge in Austria last year...kooky, Queen Bodecia, flangesax, scarpa come to mind
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for skitracks.
It doesn't use any data.
Battery should be OK for the day if you turn off everything else (wifi, data, 3G) and don't keep looking at the phone. However you can buy little charging packs which you could keep in your rucksack and charge up your phone if you were worried abut battery.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for your replies - Ski Tracks now downloaded Smile. I have an aux battery, but had forgotten about it rolling eyes.

Cinsha, I'm so sorry to hear you lost Sarah to this "swine" too. Andy was given <6 months at diagnosis so to keep going for 35 was simply incredible, a testament to his strength and determination.......doesn't make me any less bitter though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Skismurf75. Sarah was incredible too. Got through 3 massive ops in 6 years before she succumbed and she had it in several organs on diagnosis. I have some great memories though of a girl that I met whilst backpacking in Australia.
She enriched my life as I am sure Andy did yours. All the best. Cindy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy