Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if you guys can help me with some ideas for a blokes ski trip (three of us, intermediate skiers) max budget c. £750 (all in) Jan or Feb.

We stayed in La Tania last year but didn't manage to get to Meribel. We thought La Tania was OK but the food in the Montana was a bit disappointing and the three bars seemed to be so busy that you couldn't move or deserted. This year, we want to return to the Three Valleys and have seen a couple of Chalet Hotels in Courchevel 1650 that might fit our requirements:

http://www.skitotal.com/chalets/chalet-cascades/ (sleeps 56-7Cool
http://www.skiolympic.com/ski-snowboard-holidays-courchevel-3-vallees-chalet_les_avals (sleeps 69)

The first question I have is how easy / quick is it to get to Meribel from 1650? The piste map would suggest that it's a bit of a faff.

Alternatively Esprit have a Chalet Hotel in 1850:

http://www.espritski.com/chalets/crystal-2000/ (sleeps 109-151)

Or we could stay in Meribel itself:

http://www.espritski.com/chalets/alba/ (sleeps 51-66)
http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ski-holidays/meribel/chalethotel-tarentaise (doesn't seem to get good TripAdvisor reviews)
http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-resorts/france/three-valleys-ski-area/meribel/chalet-hotel-les-grangettes (sleeps 55-69)

I'm worried that Esprit looks a bit too 'family' orientated and not really suited to three blokes.

Any thoughts?

Pete
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeteMan, Esprit shouldn't let you book without children with you (please let me know if they do as I will be very unhappy with them if they do!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel from 1650 would indeed be a bit of a pain - go for 1850 or Meribel itself. And don't book with Esprit, it's very family oriented and unlikely to be much fun for you.

Personally I like staying in Meribel itself - really central for lots of great skiing, and plenty of apres-ski and nightlife options.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Early Jan, you won't be able to move in Courchevel for Russians. Prices go up everywhere just for them so might be the end of your budget if you try to leave the hotel. That's 1850 mostly but then that's where most bars are, there's not a lot going on in 1650 (and the road between them is longer than the names suggest).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you didn't get to Meribel from La Tania (lifts to the top, 1 run down to Meribel) then your chances from 1650 are low! I think if you want to go to Meribel then staying Meribel would be your best bet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kieranm wrote:
If you didn't get to Meribel from La Tania (lifts to the top, 1 run down to Meribel) then your chances from 1650 are low! I think if you want to go to Meribel then staying Meribel would be your best bet.

It wasn't through lack of trying, we were only in La Tania for three days and the lifts across were closed for the days we'd planned to go to Meribel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Hotel les Grangettes looks favorite then. The bar downstairs could be attractive for us too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's the old Inghams one I think (maybe still is). It's right opposite the Chaudanne lift area. Probably the best of budget in Méribel as the ones above the Tav and the Pub are youth hostels at best!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, the location of Les Grangettes is a real bonus, you'll appreciate it when you're there. Very close to lifts and slopes, and lots of bars and restaurants in Meribel.

Based there you will have no problem doing apres ski at Folie Douce or Rond Pont and skiing home after when the lifts are closed too, if that's your thing!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have stayed in Ski Olympic Les Avals a couple of times, the first about 10 years ago. The accommodation is OK (you get what you pay for). We went about 3 years ago, and it was advertised as refurbished then. I didn't think that was really reflected in the quality of the room we had, but the staff are very friendly and it might suit 3 blokes really well. Food is fine, the place does have a residents lounge, but no one really uses it-they end up in the bar, which can get quite lively, as it's open to the public too. The best thing is the location, across the road from the main gondola. 1650 isn't really big on après compared with Meribel. As to skiing to Meribel-I suppose it depends how good a skier you are, it's not really that big a faff, but more of a faff than from La Tania (3 lifts gets you to the top of Saulire, then it's downhill all the way). A confident intermediate red run skier should be able to be over there in an hour. There's going to be a new speedy chair opening this winter as part of the link, which will make it quicker.
There's some great skiing in 1650 in its own right. (NB- am not a fan of Meribel, but the nightlife will definitely be better!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy