Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are two way radios a good idea?

Poster: A snowHead
Been thinking about buying some two way radios for my holiday in Feb as there is going to be a party of ten of us. Thinking behind it is that a) love buying gadgets etc but more importantly b) sick of mobile bill after ringing other members of party up to organise meeting for lunch etc. The other thing is do you think people look like plonkers using them? If people think they are a good idea any recommendations as to which ones to purchase?

Thanx Q.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are useful, but to kit out a group of ten will be quite expensive. It is important to have telephones as a back up, because you can't always get radio contact with other people, however I usually find that if you keep on trying in different places in the resort then usually you'll find them sooner or later.

I don't think that people look stupid using them, but then again we don't use them that frequently and we don't say stupid things into them.

They're really useful for jumps with blind landings. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're really useful for jumps with blind landings

Do they work as parachutes then ?

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quattro,

My wife got me a set last year. On the whole I do recommend them, but as Kramer says you can't always get reception depending on where you are at on the mountain. I didn't feel or look stupid.

Do be prepared to listen to a load of other folks conversations though, but that can be quite funny.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you've also got to make sure that the people on the other end have turned it on, listening out for it, charged it up, taken it with them, tuned into the right frequency..................useful if you are on the same face of the mountain otherwise not so useful rolling eyes

personally find text messaging easier in the long run.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just posted this on the equipment forum:

AxsMan wrote:
I got my Motorola TX5522's on Ebay and paid about £20 (including delivery) per pair. (there are 6 of us). Can't speak for the Binatones but the Motorolas are great, they don't work round mountains but across valleys I'd say the range was over the claimed 3km. It saved us a fortune in mobile phone calls meeting up with the kids after lessons etc.

It's also a good source of laughs on the chairlift (maybe I should cross post to the what do you do on a draglift thread), especially if you scan the different channels, find someone elses conversation and then join in with helpful comments. Twisted Evil

Sometimes we even karaoke on them, (but the kids won't let me do it for long) Sad

ST

Oh just noticed that last post. Does anyone know if I'm likely to get any grief If I take the (UK spec) radios to Lake Tahoe? wouldn't want to upset the authorities (or have the radios confiscated).

I would say they are a very good idea, inexpensive, useful and fun. Who cares if you look stupid using them, If I was worried about looking stupid, I wouldn't wear my La Thuile Beanie hat. (er maybe I shouldn't Sad )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies - was just thinking of getting a pair and giving one to another member of the group as we tend to split into two anyway. Texting in gloves can lead to some interesting messages!!! Q. Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anyone got answer to the us question ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Royal, i think someone posted some info about this last year, have a search on the forum as i'm sure they are either naughty to have/use in europe or the USA but i can't remember which way round it is rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If travelling to the Alps in more than 1 car they are very useful especially when driving around in circles trying to find the motorway again after an overnight stop Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd say that they're useful. And fun!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, they aren't for girls.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
think you can't use US canadain radios in UK due to frequency

we have a set and used them this year. They are ok but range is limited in the mountains so we tend to use them and our mobiles.
though they are very useful on car trips if there are a couple of cars.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, and why not??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's an in-joke amongst a group that I ski with. When sharing out the radios, the boys tend to nick them all, because they're not for girls, from the Yorkie add. For some reason it winds the girls up, which just makes us do it more.

Whenever the girls do get their hands on the radios, the signal to noise ratio does seem to dip significantly though! Very Happy
snow report
We have been using them for a few years now ,much cheaper then using mobiles phones and have had no problem with signals. The only thing that we something have to do is change channel as we can here other folks using them across the valley in Wengen Laughing

We have 2 sets of the Motorola Talkabout T6222
snow report
Depends where you are going, I've had 2 pairs for a few years and very very rarely manage to use them - generally we hit the big resorts and people are always in the wrong valley....Just preprogram in a few text messages and use the phone!

Good for the journey down (between cars/train carriages/airport) and in resort though, just always end up phoning on the slopes...Also the boarders tell me they are useful off piste/snow park (like the blind landing you can send someone ahead and they have them look up at the terrain, or when someone goes the wrong way they aren't completely on their own etc etc)

If you want a trial run try and borrow a set from someone, I was suprised how many people have them at work etc...

aj xx
snow report
I won a couple from DCMT snowboard a few years ago - thought they would be just a 'nice gadget' but they have become an everyday part of my kit. You can get some pretty cheap from Argos now just make sure they have 8 main and 38 sub frequencies and they should be fine. I definately recommend them.

For the issue about US/European frequencies there are legal issues see here;

http://adrenalintrip.extreme.com/forum/viewtopic/1/82255?siteid=95&topictype=5&13
ski holidays
I would not be without radios in a group... and I definately don't feel stupid using them - I DO feel stupid waiting around for people to catch up or waiting for people who have taken a wrong turn when I could be getting another run in !

Whilst there is an issue using them over wide distances and different valleys, they are very good simply for catching up at lunch - "Which table are you at etc." - convenience of the mobile phone but without the cost. Mobile phone is still good as back up, and nothing makes up for agreeing to meet up at a given time for lunch or end of day. The radio helps ... "I'll be there in 5 etc."

As a low cost gadget, I'd definately recommend them. Rarely had problems with overuse of channels by other groups - if there is, it normally sorts itself by one or other group moving up or down a 'channel' ( actually changing 'squelch' tones )
snow conditions
Incidently we've often used them when one or other of the group has charged off, that person then doesn't know if the delay to the people behind them is due to an incident or simply people taking their time...
latest report
The main time I've used them has been in a non-skiing environment....the mountains of Scotland!! There were several occasions last summer when they were the only means of keeping contact, as moble reception was zero.
snow report
I think they are a brilliant idea, and we use them with the kids all the tome not just on the slopes in winter, also when they are playing football with their mates etc. As long as you are in range they are fab and much cheaper than mobile phones - also no one wants to nick them either!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy