Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where else in Italy (apart from ski Monterosa) for large group of good skiers

Poster: A snowHead
We've now been to Ski Monterosa 4 times (once in Champoluc & 3 times in Gressoney/Staffal). We love it but would like to find somewhere else with plenty of skiing and some lift-accessible off-piste. Some night life would be a bonus too. We'll be a mixed party of about a dozen ranging from 11 - 53 and all quite good skiers. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BenTisdall, Courmayeur?

Sella Ronda?

Madonna?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having skied both Monterosa (Alagna, 4 times) and Courmayeur (3 times), with good skiers, we are just as happy at either location, and for the same reasons. Courmayeur has loads of lift serviced off piste outside the main ski area. If you want to hire a guide, the skiing off the Funivie Monte Bianco on the Toula Glacier and even the Vallee Blanche to Chamonix is fantastic. The views of Mont Blanc are always good, on or off piste. Courmayeur is more interesting a place than any of the Monterosa villages for food and some nightlife as well. But we love the Monterosa villages anyway because they are so unspoiled.

The drawback to Courmayeur is that the piste skiing is more limited, some would say way more, than Monterosa. But it is good skiing, and if you're up for it, there are several Aosta valley resorts within easy distance, and a regular bus to Chamonix. It was our experience that we were happy at Courmayeur, but we are big fans of the off piste, so that makes it a much bigger place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like Courmayeur hasn't got enough skiing for a week, Sella Ronda has hardly any steep pistes or off-piste and at Madonna off-piste is banned. But maybe you can tell me otherwise?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Thuile has plenty of steep piste and some good off piste
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BenTisdall wrote:
Sella Ronda has hardly any steep pistes or off-piste

There may not be many steep pistes in Sella Ronda (although I definitely remember a few around Arabba). But there's loads of steep offpiste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some steeps around Arabba. Plus Alta Badia world cup run, and the adjacent red. Plus Val Gardena world cup run (mix of steep and not steep).
But most of the Sella Ronda is more "see how far you can get".
No idea about off piste, but several sH have off pisted there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Madonna off-piste is banned

Really? Can't argue but seems unlikely.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BenTisdall,
Quote:

Madonna off-piste is banned

Not according to their website it isn't. http://www.campigliodolomiti.it/lang/EN/pagine/dettaglio/not_only_skiing,24/ski_mountaineering,15.html - at least, for values of "off piste" that include rando. If they advertise that I don't see them having a problem with a bit of side piste.

Mind you, Piedmonte now insist that you have avvy kit if you're off piste, maybe Trentino have the same rules.

Also, "Courmayeur doesn't have enough for a week" Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Milky Way. Base yourself in Sauze d'Oulx or Sestriere.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Sella Nevea is on my list.

Looks v. v. interesting and I think worth checking out. However, not been there yet so can't give any useful advice.
Just to be extra helpful - it looks like their website is down at the moment.
Other sH's may be able to fill in the blanks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BenTisdall, I've never been to the Monterosa area so can't compare, but if you don't like the sound of the Sella Ronda resorts then have a look at Cortina? There are some pretty steep black pistes around and easily accessible off piste. I've never gone far off the beaten track there but I would expect there's some decent stuff to ski if you're with a guide.

I like the après but only visited the wine bars and restaurants so don't know what other entertainment there is if you want to party more... Also I've skied there with really good skiers who were quite happy to get in the car or jump on a bus up to Cinque Torri/Lagazoui to explore further afield for a day or two during the week. You can link into the Sella Ronda from there too. But I would agree that the Cortina ski area is a little fragmented, and that is a real negative for some. You might be better off in a resort with a direct link into a large ski area?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the suggestions. Pretty sold on Courmayeur now. Anyone have any good suggestions on accommodation there (hotel or self-catering) ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BenTisdall, Auberge de la Maison in Entreves, a kilometre outside Courmayeur and well placed for the Val Veny lift. If you're wanting something less pricey, try the Hotel Dolonne, in Dolonne, and again near to one of the less busy uplifts, but takes you up to Plan Checrouit where it does get busier!
Or............. Booking.com

Buy the Aosta Valley lift pass, and get over to La Thuile for a couple of days. Well worth the bus-trip.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not that it should influence your decision at all, as it was entirely conditions driven but I once had one of the worst ski days of my life (company excepted) off the back of Arp. Untransformed ice at the top a brief moment of joy and untransformed ice at the bottom. Vile for 90% of the descent.

Mind you the group I was with had heli'd the day before and said it was worse. I am not entirely sure how or how it could be.

Lunch at the Petit Mont Blanc went a long way to restoring humours.
snow report
BenTisdall, Hotel Mont Blanc. A couple of miles out from Courayeur but they run a shuttle to the gondola. http://www.hotelmontblanc.it/ really nice place.
snow report
halfhand, we've stayed there, very pleasant.
snow report
A prerequisite for offpiste skiing is that there is sufficient snow, preferably fresh, on the unpisted slopes.
Dolomites is very snowsure ON pistes due to their massive investments in snowmaking, and best-in-class slope preparation. In normal winters (2013-2014 was an exception) precipitation is much lower than in other areas. In normal winters you will often ski on white ribbons, which are in excellent condition, but not good for offpiste.

To the east, Sella Nevea including connection to Bovec was very good for offpiste. Unfortunately the lifts in Bovec were destroyed by an avalanche (I believe 1 or 2 winters ago) with no sign of them being rebuilt. Alas.

Livigno is one of the best areas for offpiste. Much migher precipitation and altitude than Dolomites and cold micro-climate. Acres and acres of ideal slopes for offpiste. Offpiste was forbidden for 2 or 3 years, but is now allowed again, under certain conditions.

Madesimo is also very good for offpiste. Piste skiing is much better than Courmayeur.

Finally, there's this excellent (but dutch) site for offpiste enthousiasts http://wepowder.nl
When you paste the URL into google translate you can understand the info (and have a laugh about translation)
This gives an overview of virtually ALL the hidden gems for offpiste including reviews, links to local guides etc

For instance this one about Madesimo
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwepowder.nl%2Fplaygrounds%2Fmadesimo&edit-text=
snow report
Livigno report, mid april, scroll down till halfway of the report for offpiste pictures
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43433
snow conditions
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we're going for Courmayeur though Livigno also sounds great and we might think about going there the year after.
snow report
Claviere is on the border with France (Mongenevre), you can go the other way along the MilkyWay and drop into Sauze or Sestriere, loads of fun for fast skiers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy