Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski holiday March 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I'm an new poster here so go easy on me and apologies in advance for the rambling note.

I am charged with organising a family skiing holiday for next season. The most likely date of departure is March 14th. I'm looking for some advice on a resort and a catered chalet that would suit our needs best. The group will consist of 7 adults and a 20 month old toddler. The skiing abilities of the group are very varied and consist of:

2 fairly competent guys who will cover a lot of miles and tackle pretty much any slope from blue to black but will not stray too far off piste.
2 skiers with 2 weeks experience who are fairly competent on most blues but could get nervous quite easily. Will possibly do some private lessons
2 beginners with no experience. Will probably do half day ski school each day for the week.
2 non skiers (young grandparents who are coming for the experience and to mind the toddler during the day).

So as you can see its a fairly diverse group. We are also keen on taking a catered chalet as this will possibly be a once off trip for the grandparents and we are anxious that they have some comfortably accommodation whilst the rest of us are skiing. I am leaning towards France as this seems to offer the best options in terms of catered chalets. The resorts I have skied in France and am amiliar with are Tignes/Val d'Isere, Les Arcs and Merribel.

I guess my requirements can be summarised as:

1. A resort that will be suitable for the non skiers. They're not hugely active (won't do snow shoeing for example) but would be anxious to get out and about during the day and maybe take a lift/gondola to meet us for lunch and take in the view further up the mountains. They might also swim and maybe take in some snow sledding etc. They're only late fifties / early sixties but wont be convinced to ski I'm afraid.
2. A good quality comfortable chalet that is convenient to the piste. Again the non skiers would happily sit on a balcony watching the skiers go by whilst reading a book (when they're not running after the toddler!).
3. A resort that is likely to have good snow as it is relatively late in the season.
4. A resort with terrain suitable for the beginners and the less experienced and also with a good English speaking ski school.
5. A resort with sufficient miles to keep the more competent skiers happy although I would place this lower down the list of priorities.

My research in relation to the chalet has led me to companies such as VIP, Fish and Pips and YSE and all of them seem like they would provide an excellent service. A lot of their catered chalets are located in Val d'Isere, Merribel and Alpe'dHuez.
Val d'Isere I have skied but not stayed in. I think it would tick most of our boxes but a lot of comments on SH I have noted say to avoid Val d'Isere for beginners as a lot of the runs home can be very difficult.
Merribel I have spent a week in a good few years ago but the snow that year was terrible so that put me off the resort. I know it was a problem everywhere but its hard to get the images of mud and grass out of my head!
I haven't been to Alpe d'Huez. VIP have a chalet there that looks perfect for us. However I am put off by some comments that the resort can get a lot of sunshine and that the slopes can get icy and slushy at that time of year. Also what is it like for non skiers?

Any advice on the suitability of these would be great. Also am I missing some obvious ski companies and resorts? People seem to suggest resorts such as La Plagne and La Tanis for chalets but I'm not sure there is much for the non skiers in those places.

Finally our budget would be about £900 per person for the chalet give or take. We will be travelling from Ireland so will arrange our own flights.

Again apologies for the rambling note. I have spent a lot of time researching this already and have picked up a lot of useful tips on SH already so many thanks for that. But I decided to be selfish and looks for some advice directly related to our trip so thanks in advance for any help that you can provide. It would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
adriangrogan, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You will have to make some compromises, as ever. The vision of sitting on the terrace of a chalet "watching the skiers go by" is not easily compatible with having somewhere which allows the non-skiers easy access to the other aspects of a resort - shops, restaurants, swimming, etc etc. It might be more realistic to think of their taking a gondola or chairlift up the mountain sometimes, and sitting outside a restaurant watching the skiers go by.

Sledging is much hairier than snow-shoeing, by the way! The latter - depending on territory of course - is just a walk on snow - but sledging usually involves falling off quite a lot, going quite quickly, sometimes in the wrong direction and having to trudge back uphill pulling the thing. I find it scarier than snowboarding, personally. But the toddler will love it with grandparents doing the hard work; it's worth looking into a gentle toboggan area for kids, accessible from your accommodation.

Most resorts have a selection of pisted and signposted walks for pedestrians - just in ordinary walking boots, not snowshoes.

Anyway, you don't want to persuade your grandparents out and about too much, do you? Or they won't be doing much child-minding. I don't personally like Val d'Isere much, but you don't need to worry about the home runs for beginners - they can simply take the lift down. Problem solved. There will be masses of skiing of all levels available and plenty in the village for non-skiers, provided they are not interested in an authentic French atmosphere and don't mind high prices. wink

Mid March is a great time to go, by the way, and the snow should be fine most places; it's not late season. Les Gets might be worth looking at. The "front de neige" there (accessible by road up from the village or chairlift) has restaurants which are ideal for sitting and watching the skiers - my mum did a lot of that, when we took her to Les Gets).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd look at Courchevel 1650. It has some good confidence building gentle blue and nursery slopes right down to the village and access to a huge ski area ( it being the 3v.). 1650 is a bit quiet, but as well as a gondola to mid station for a nice lunch at the Bel Air (be prepared to book), it's easy to get a bus up the road (5min trip) to 1850 where gondolas and/or the Saulire Cable car will get your non skiers right up the mountain (and even down into Meribel if they are feeling adventurous!). Ski Olympic have some nice chalets there, though not piste side. Ski New Generation ski school also operate there. It really is a lovely ski area in its own right, and the slopes above 1850 are also great for nervous types-they can either ski there, or get the bus.
1650 also has possibly my fave restaurant in the whole 3v: L'Arc en Ciel, a cosy family run place in the middle of the village that serves consistently lovely grub!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Courchevel is a good suggestion - 1650 is very agreeable. 1850 is extremely pricey but good entertainment value! Either is infinitely preferable to horrible merrible. Lots of good ski instruction available, too. Ski Olympic is a very good company. Lots of positive reports on Snowheads - and no moans that I remember. I used them many years ago but more recent reports are excellent too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads adriangrogan.

First of all, 14 March isn't late in the season. April is late.

If you're set on high then Tignes is probably a better bet for you than Val. Plenty of places for the grandparents to sit down and watch the world go by.

Lots of value to be had in my local gaff (Morzine) - lots for the grandparents to do; a brand spanky new indoor swimming pool with spa; walking and easy access to the ski school slopes. And if they're potentially happy driving then day trips to be had to Geneva and Annecy. But I'm biased.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with Perty. For anyone who likes to 'cover a lot of miles', the 3Vs are a dream. I like Courch 1650 better than Meribel if you're not desperate to cover every inch of the 3V each day. It also has one of my favourite pistes, Jean Pachod, just above it. There's a market each week at 1650 (Weds?) which is quite nice, and a few shops and cafes. There are regular buses to the other Courchevel resorts too, and there's a big centre at 1850 with indoor activities if needed. They could also go down to Le Praz and watch the ski jumpers take their life into their hands!
I like La Tania but there's nothing for non-skiers. In peak weeks there are buses to Courcheval but probably not when you're going.
I wouldn't take beginners to Val d'Isere. Even as a strong skier I found it a bit hairy at times.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
adriangrogan, a very warm welcome to SHs snowHead

I second the suggestions from the previous posters for Courchevel 1650 and especially for New Generation Ski School there for your requirement for good English speaking ski school, and also for Morzine and Les Gets and there you would want to contact BASS ski school.

However from your own original list, you could do worse than Alpe d 'Huez. You mention that you have found a chalet which would be perfect for your group. Don't worry about the sun! This will be an asset for the beginners and the non skiers and won't be a problem for the rest of you. March 14th is not late. ADH will be open for at least another 6 weeks or so after that. Check out Masterclass for those requiring instruction. For the non skiers, ADH is quite a big resort and easy to walk around and there is a lift (yoghurt/lobster pots) connecting the different parts of the resort and there is a really lovely outdoor swimming pool. There is also an ice rink, ice driving, bowling, lots of shops,cafés etc. Lots of scope to come up the lifts to meet for lunch. Been there twice, once I was pretty much not skiing with my one year old and once when my then 6 year old was pretty much out skiing me Toofy Grin Good place.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you looked at Lech. May be one of the pricier resorts, but Ski Total operate a number of chalet hotels there that can be good value for money. For the non-skiers there are plenty of walking paths around, they can easily get a gondola up to meet you in various places for lunch, eg Oberlech which is also a good place for sitting outside with a drink and book and watching the skiers go past.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adriangrogan, I would also suggest 3v. For non skiers the Courchevel resorts are all linked with a good bus system. Lots of ski ing for all levels and plenty of ski schools to choose from. There are lots of chalets to choose from, but I would suggest if you just want the place to yourself (and with a 20 month old that might be a requirement of the chalet) I would book pretty soon to get the best choices.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi adriangrogan,

To answer your question about La Plagne there is plenty for non skiers to do.

They can choose from ice skating, sledging (including a kids area), dog sledding, snow shoeing (with a guide so they can request flat), walking trails, an outdoor (heated obviously!) swimming pool, bowling etc. There are also plenty of restaurants, shops, bars etc.

One thing I would strongly recommend is the walker pass which costs around €40 for the week and lets you use all of the walker-friendly lifts without skis (nb not even carrying them for someone else!) It's a great way to eg meet up for lunch, do a downhill-only walk, take in the views etc. The two year old can get a free pass so they can take him up too.

Hope you find somewhere which suits . . . .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Couch/la Tania bus is free too that runs through the season
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi All

Many thanks for all the replies. Certainly plenty to think about. Courchevel 1650 sounds like it might be well worth investigating. Can anyone recommend a chalet company there? Le Ski seems to pop up when I search. Has anyone any experience of them? Ski Olympic only seem to have larger chalets there and ideally we would like our own place.

Thanks again
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adriangrogan, Powder White also have a number in Courchevel 1650 which might be suitable size wise.

Also, both my husband and I have stayed with Le Ski in several of their chalets in Val d'Isere when we've been over there. The chalets were great, the food and service was top notch and the company was good to deal with.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adriangrogan, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm not sure about AdH, to be honest - the town is quite strung out and on a hill. Fine for walking about if relatively fit. If there happens to be a good deal of snow around, then that can begin to be tricky, especially with a pushchair. The skiers who are ok on blues might find some of the return to resort blue runs challenging - they can get busy and mogully at peak times and resemble anything but a blue run (IMV/E).

The beginner areas are very good, but access back to resort takes most skiers through these areas and that can get "interesting" at times. I also think that the beginner/progressors have quite a big leap from the greens to the previously mentioned blues. Other than that, AdH is a great area, particularly for the mileage hounds.

Courchevel 1650 would also get my vote.

If watching skiers ski by for the GPs is not an immovable requirement, have a look at Les Marmottes in Chantemerle, Serre Chevalier. OK, it may be a 6-7 minute walk to the main gondola and chair lift, but the town is traditional, with plenty of places and activities for the GPs plus an excellent valley bus service to the other villages and main town in the resort.

It would be easy for the GPs and toddler to access the first station at Serre Ratier where there are some good restaurants and sunny terraces. A great meeting point for all the skiers (there are beginner runs there with good access to the progressor slopes) and non-skiers.

Regarding the chalet - the accommodation and quality is superb. The Lucas family live in the converted roof/attic and one rarely feels their presence. Karin is English and a superb host/cook. Denis is French, an ESF instructor and wine merchant...so no dinner wine catastrophes unless one has too much!! Basically, one feels as though they are in their own place for a week with outstanding cuisine, great wine and terrific service. Unless not preferred, Karin and Dennis will join the dinner table - they're great company.

As said, I appreciate this might not be an option that is adjacent to a piste, but there are other upsides, particularly for the non-skiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi All

Thanks again for all the feedback. Courchevel has thrown up some great options. I have found somewhere that i think suits us fairly well. However it is in 1550 rather than 1650. From what i can see from the piste maps 1550 is conveniently located below 1850 and so is at least equally if not more convenient for accessing the wider Courcheval area and possibly even the 3 valleys for the more experienced skiers. Am i right on this? Has anyone any other comments in relation to 1550 versus 1650? Apres ski is not relevant as we'll be in a chalet and the group includes grandparents and an infant Very Happy

Thanks again. Hopefully we'll book this week and I can stop spending hours on the internet!
latest report
1550 has a bubble up to 1850, definitely more convenient.
snow conditions
We have stayed in 1550 before from a skiing perspective it is possible to ski back to if conditions are good. Even late season when we went the run was open but looking at it from the bubble there are lots of bare patches so we decided to do extra runs higher up on the good snow and come down in the lift. However when we visited the area again (stayed in 1850 but in December when the snow was great) we did the run and thoroughly enjoyed.

Food and drink is significantly cheaper in 1550 vs 1850 but it is very grim looking as well in comparison so from the non skiers perspective I wouldn't have thought it would be as nice as 1650 or 1850.

I don't know if you can go up in the bubble without a lift pass or if you can get a non-skier one?
latest report
There are pedestrian passes:

Pedestrian Pass (from 5 to 74 years)
1 day 22 €
6 days 68 €

Children under 5 are free
ski holidays
Hi All
May thanks again for all of your input. We have booked Courchevel for the week of March 14th. It wasn't on my radar until I posted here but it looks like it'll suit our group really well. Hard to believe its still nearly 7 months away Sad but its amazing how many chalets were booked out already. So just need to keep the fingers crossed now for some good conditions.

Thanks again everyone!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy