Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck (& Seefeld) for Christmas Markets and Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I know this may be slightly off plan for a ski website, but as well as ICeland in Jan/Feb, we want to do a Christmas Market. We usually go Manchester for the day but this year want to go to Europe. I've been looking into them and its a mine field. But I have just come across Innsbruck market. It looks great. The only problem is that Monarch only fly Sunday to Sunday. So we are looking into a few days around the market, a couple of days skiing and then maybe a day or 2 over in Seefeld (30min train away of 5euro!!). We would be looking at 14-21st December, so questions are:
1. has anyone done this sort of holiday before in Innsbruck (Christmas markets)
2. Would we have half decent snow fall for that time of year - its slightly early in the season and being low alt is risky. We only want a couple of days skiing, so even if its limited runs, we'd be happy. (again, we are mainly going for the markets)
3. How easy is it to get from city centre/train station to the slopes (say Axamer Lizum) - do we need to stay there for a night or is it doable all in the same day and come back to Innsbruck city centre for the evening
4. Anyone know of other things we could do over there if there is no snow for skiing - any other nice places we can reach from the train station

Any advice would be appreciated
thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Well, I've been to the markets several times - fun atmosphere, great food and drink
2. Very much depends. I've skied great powder in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec, but no guarantees what conditions will be like - can't even really say what typical conditions are. As an absolute minumum you will 100% be able to ski at Stubai Glacier though
3. Very very easy, it's a short bus from the hauptbahnhof (main train station, you don't want the Westbahnhof). Easily doable in a day, as are many other places including Stubai Glacier, Kuhtai, Schlick2000, Kitzbuehel, St Anton, etc. Ischgl is doable, but much easier with a car, as you have to change at Landeck if you go by public transport.
4. The Swarovski Crystal World comes highley recommended even from locals (though I've never been). Direct bus from the Hauptbahnhof. Lots of hiking (quick bus to Zirl and hike up the Ehnbachklamm, a cool little gorge, or up around Nordkette), saunas/spas (Aquadome in Ötztal is incredible).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just checked some photos from the Christmas markets trip we did in 2010, Merano, Bolzano and Innsbruck. There was plenty of snow on the mountains above Innsbruck on the 7th of December so you could be lucky. Seefeld is also a good destination, cross country, ski jumping stadium about 15 minutes stroll from the station, open air ice rink 5/10 minutes from the station.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, there's also the Bergisel ski jump and museum in IBK too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seefeld is a nice place, but you would probably only want to ski there for a couple of days as it's a bit limited. Last Christmas the snow was very patchy, but a mini dump a day or so after Christmas saved the week.

They do have a Christmas market there, but it isn't that impressive. We did meet some nice Eastern Europeans at the market and have a drink or two with them though snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
Ah, there's also the Bergisel ski jump and museum in IBK too.

The zoo is a good one as well if you like that sort of thing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jon Ford, when we stayed in Innsbruck we got the free ski bus to Axamer Lizum from the city and it takes 20 minutes to the resort. Lovely skiing too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. Really good response and all positive about easiness to get around. Just looking into prices etc. We initially only wanted a couple of days away to do the market, but if there is so much about and hopefully get some skiing in too, it sounds a good plan. Thanks again for the replies
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They do some good packages where you can book the hotel and pass together. http://www.innsbruck-pauschalen.com/en/winter/skihotels.html When I did it a few years back we had some non skiers as well and they were really flexible on sorting out a decent price. Its well worth doing, Innsbruck is a great city and really easy to get to a number of ski areas.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks googiew, will take a look
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have finally booked the Christmas market/ski (hopefully) holiday
We are flying to Innsbruck 14th Dec where we are going straight to Seefeld for 2 nights. We are hoping to have a days skiing there, but if for any reason we cant, we'll just go round the walks etc.
After 2 days there we are having 5 days in Innsbruck where we'll hopefully have a days skiing on the stubai glacier and maybe a day in Axum L. The skiing will be a bonus as the main reason is the markets and tourist stuff just a few days before Christmas. (But deep down I'm hoping for at least 1 days skiing....happy with the glacier).
Looking forward to it now....only 3.5 months to go. Doing a snow dance tonight
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi. Heading to Seefeld & Innsbruck for christmas markets and (hopefully) a bit of skiing this weekend (going for a week). I'm sure I read on here about some tips getting to seefeld. We will prob take the train from the airport/station. Please could someone advise the best way to do this. - How far is the train station from the Innsbuck airport. Also, did someone mention about sitting on a certain side of the train to get best views (I cant find it anywhere but sure someone mentioned it)
We may be lucky enough to ski seefeld for 1 of the 2 days we are there - depends how much fake snow they have put down. If we cant ski there, can anyone recommend other stuff to do (we are there sun-tues) and then go to innsbruck for 5 nights.
Finally, any other tips/recommendations of things to do. Its a weird holiday as we usually just go for a weeks skiing "in resort" and dont see the cities, so any recommendations would be appreciated

thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Innsbruck Airport to the Hauptbahnhof Main Station is about 20min ride on Bus "F" iirc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks @andy,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jon Ford, there is a bus from the Hauptbahnhof directly to the bottom lift at Stubai. The last stop is always called Mutterbergalm by the way

http://www.innsbruck.info/fileadmin/PDF/Innsbruck/skibus.pdf

and it is free (i.e. included on your ski pass) as of tomorrow:

http://www.innsbruck.info/erleben/winterurlaub/gratis-skibus.html
snow report
thanks @Samerberg Sue, that'll make getting to stubai lifts easier
ski holidays
@Jon Ford, be interested to hear a report from you. We did Innsbruck a little while back and would readily return.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy