Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuck in a rut, need some destination ideas.

Poster: A snowHead
A group of about 10 of us go each year, as one of the "Elders" of the ski group (not by age, but by experience), it's down to me this year to suggest destinations and coordinate the booking. There is a certain level of expectation, as for the last 8 years, the bar has been set quite high, no sucky resorts.

For this reason, it's been France every time, and then the more modern French resorts (Alpe D Huez, Arc 2000, various 3 Valleys, Les Deux Alpes, Tignes etc). All of these offer alot of ski terrain, and all have decent lift systems (very few, or no drags), and you stay on resort, no messing with long queue lines at the start and end of the day.

As mentioned, many of the group have only ever skied these in France, and want a change. I am a bit weary, Austria is low and the weather can be problematic (none of the group have ever skied in brown slush). Switzerland is expensive and don't generally get Ski to the door, none of the group have ever suffered an hour wait to get up the mountain in the morning. Italy has poor lift systems, none of the group have suffered a 45 minute drag lift as the only means to get to a particular run.

I know there are some big generalizations in that last paragraph, but it's mostly true, I am trying to find some exceptions and try to go somewhere in Europe that can compete with the French mega-resorts.

In short, we are looking for a high altitude resport, not in France, that has a very good lift system, a "real" large ski terrain (one that truly large that doesn't involve lame busses), that has lots of on resort accommodation that can be skied to or near to.

Any suggestions, or will we be going to Val d'Isère this year?

Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The trouble you have, like you said the big french resorts are unique for those very reasons. WHich is why i have normally stayed in the france domain.
Does it have to be Europe, You can get some good deals to North America for not much difference in price to some french resorts, the Ski areas are huge compared to France, but is mainly buses.

The only other place i can think of ive been not on your previously visited list, and its not to everyones taste, Sierra nevada in Spain. Its high, based over 2000 meters so its got good snow record, nice big varied area, and good modern lift set up
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always had great holidays in Austria with the Ski Amade being my area of choice. The lift system makes French resorts look dated. Austria is generally lower than France, but so is the snowline. If Austria is no good for you then try the Italian Dolomites.

Quote:

Does it have to be Europe, You can get some good deals to North America for not much difference in price to some french resorts, the Ski areas are huge compared to France, but is mainly buses
Shocked Puzzled

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-08-14 10:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you skied Serre Chevalier? I'm massively impressed by it - still France, but extensive terrain, and plenty of accommodation right beside the lifts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What are the lifts like in Serre Chevalier?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very good for the most part, and I can't remember a single drag. I skied it on the Off-piste Bash and we travelled around the area a LOT - very quickly and easily. Hells Bells is the resident expert, she would know more.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Australia is generally lower than France, but so is the snowline.

Well it's certainly further south.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clashcityrocker, given your list of essentials, I'd suggest your group sticks with the French mega-resorts and leave the many charming Italian, French and Austrian resorts which don't quite measure up to your requirements for the rest of us to enjoy. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess the thing I didn't mention, we are all mostly on-piste skiers, Red/Black
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Verbier is another option if they manage to sort out their lift pass/area negotiations. There is plenty of accommodation right beside the main lifts, but it would generally cost a bit more than French resorts - so might depend on what your group are willing to pay.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clashcityrocker, go to Ischgl.
It is high, you can find the hotels short walk from the lifts, it is big enough, lifts are very modern and you ski in Switzerland as well. Busy apres as well.
It is expensive by Austrian standards but should be any more than your French resorts.
Thing is, you not gonna get any deals from UK package deals as they do not go there that often.
Most likely you will have to book flights + hotel direct.

http://www.bergfex.com/ischgl/

Otherwise, they are usually reasonable (last minute or so) chalet deals to be found in Zermatt, Switzerland (otherwise it will be expensive but with a good chalet deal it should cover most bar the mountain lunch or apres).
Or Cervinia in Italy and you can ski to Zermatt.

Arabba or Val Gardena on Sella Ronda in Dolomites in Italy.

Or wait and see if it is a reasonably good snow year and go to Saalbach in Austria, top top place.
http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 11-08-14 10:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We usually book early, due to the size of our group (I forgot to mention, we do catered chalets), so can't really gamble on Austria.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 11-08-14 10:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clashcityrocker, wow......from what you've said, play safe and stick with France. You've obviously got preconceptions about other places that mean you won't settle in your mind if you choose them, so go and enjoy Val Despair Smile

You don't say what time of year you're planning on going, but I've had more poor snow days in France than I've had in Austria, despite doing 3x more trips to Austria. Having said that, I've usually gone early season to France and later season to Austria. (My best evr snow day was 2nd week of April in Kitzbuhel when there was so much powder I didn't know what to ski 1st.....and there were probably only 100 people on the whole mountain.

Saalbach is worth looking at if going out of peak season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not sure what "weather can be problematic" refers to. other than UK pilots not qualified to land at Innsbruck, so BA get diverted to Munich, whila all teh SAS, Norwegian, Austrian and Lufthansa flights carry on as normal?

height? that argument has been done before.

There are only 2 resorts I've arrived at to find they are grass. Les Gets, and Tignes.

I'll vote Val d'Isere though Wink
snow conditions
I can think of lots of Swiss and Italian areas that don't fit your somewhat dated generalisations.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
I can think of lots of Swiss and Italian areas that don't fit your somewhat dated generalisations.

I openly admitted that my question included a very sweeping statement, that I was aware wasn't entirely true, but is somewhat true.

perhaps rather than jumping down my throat, you could name some of these resorts?
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Actually agree with that i forgot about Cervinia, that was good fun and on the swiss boarder so you can ski 2 countries for the price of one
snow conditions
I'll suggest one of the Italian Monte Rosa Resorts, Champoluc, Gressonay or Alagna. It's snow sure, goes high, the scenery is spectacular and the runs are long and satisfying. Villages are small, friendly and cheap compared to what you're used to. Champuloc and Alagna are about the same distance apart as Courcheval and Val Thorens. My group, mixed ability from red run/black on a good day skiers through to decent off piste standard, went two years ago, we all loved the place and are going back for 9 days this year.

The one drawback is that there may not be enough piste skiing for you, a claimed 180km, but some of that is in unlinked areas. Nevertheless the three resorts are linked by long interesting varied pistes, and there's huge scope for developing your off piste skills. The piste map does the area no favours, giving the impression that the skiing is on a small scale. It's not, it's a big, big area. The pistes are usually empty as well.
ski holidays
i am really interested in going monterosa, can you recommend any self catering places that would also let us take the dog as he always comes with us..... so far all i have found is hotels....
latest report
clashcityrocker, the Monte Rosa resorts have great reliable skiing but little nightlife. The Dolomites could tick all your boxes but choose the actual resort carefully for nightlife and easy access, so Val Gardena or Arraba as recommended above. Your generalisation of Austria is wrong, so long as you don't want to go too late, there are many to choose from depending on what the balance between the skiing and nightlife you want, with St Anton thro to Montafon. If you can get a reasonable package many in Switzerland tick all your boxes, Zermatt, Verbier, Wengan to name a few.
snow report
Sorry, don't know any self catering places. Last time we stayed at Hotel Dufour at Gressonay. Nice hotel beside a chairlift, flexible with bookings for periods other than the standard 7 nights. Going back to the same hotel this year.
snow report
thanks anyway.... i will continue my search
ski holidays
clashcityrocker, hmmmm, hile you admitted the generalisations, they really were dreadful.

Inter alia:

Italy

+1 for Monterosa - there is still one antiquated chair, but only one (on the main circuit anyway), Champoluc has quite enough for a weeks apres and value for money is hard to beat. I'd stay in Champoluc rather than Gressoney or Alagna, as the ohter two are really tiny. Some good options a very short wall from the main gondola. Which is pretty dated but efficient enough.

Courmayeur - although not so easy to ski in/out.

Madonna de Campiglio

(I must say that Cervinia leaves me cold)

Switzerland

Verbier. Even if they don't sort out the 4 vallees politics (they probably will) it's still an amazing area. Probably a bit pricey with your weak pound.

Andermatt looks increasingly interesting

Saas Fee

Mürren/Wengen - although there is a slow train connection between the two the scenery is stunning. The skiing is quite sufficient.

[Portes du Soleil - even though it's mostly in France]

.... et al.
ski holidays
ajc2260626, We don't accept pets I'm afraid and when we advertised the apartment last year we had to get one of the big apartment agencies to add Champoluc to their database as we were the first. It really is mostly hotel based, although some aver very nice and off apartment like rooms.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
clashcityrocker, wow......from what you've said, play safe and stick with France. You've obviously got preconceptions about other places that mean you won't settle in your mind if you choose them, so go and enjoy Val Despair Smile

Just to be clear, I have Skied alot of these countries, and some of the resorts/areas, and whilst it may be a little harsh/sweeping generalization, it's not a preconception. Most of the others in the group have yet to experience a less than 100% Ski holiday.
snow report
thats a shame but i understand on the pet front, as some dog owners arent the most responsible unlike us....
snow conditions
clashcityrocker,

It truly is rubbish around here... there are buses and everything!
Sometimes (vary rarely) the snow lays enough to enable over 2000km of ski piste to open (within Salzburgerland) for about 4 months of the year, but it is all within 800 to about 2300 meters so most of it is way too low!

I think it is best for you and your group to stick to the French Megas. That way you know what you are getting before you get there and you know it will tick all your boxes.

There is a snowhead who kicks around these parts mountainsun (http://www.mountainsunltd.com/) and I think their place may tick your boxes....

I know mine won't... far too many buses and my house is at 800 meters!.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like clashcityrocker needs to ditch this pack of whiny wieners and get with the cool kids for a while.
But seriously, you can get too bogged down in trying to please everyone when sorting out a big trip for lots of people - try to tick as many boxes as you can but go with the gut and don't lose sleep over a point or two you can't deliver in your budget.
ski holidays
flangesax,

What was all that fluffy white stuff that junior kept getting buried in at Easter. That nearly ruined the holiday for him wink
snow report
clashcityrocker, you could try the Sella Ronda circuit in the Italian Dolomites. Large ski area, modern lift system, excellent piste preparation, amazing scenery, many excellent mountain restaurants, choice of resorts a number of which will offer ski convenience.
snow report
clashcityrocker, you do correctly list some of the stereotypes of Austria, Switzerland and Italy. But they are only stereotypes, and yes, somewhat dated. There are several options outside France which offer lots of terrain, fast lifts and reliable snow. With caveats listed in brackets, I'd suggest:

Austria:
Ischgl
Lech/Zurs/St Anton (although the two largest areas are currently a bus ride apart)
Saalbach (mid-season, as it's fairly low)

Italy:
Cervinia/Zermatt
Several places on the Sella Ronda (except very late season - it's fairly low)

Switzerland:
Flims/Laax (mid-season...)
Verbier (although as said above, some issues with the lift companies at the moment0
Zermatt/Cervinia

If you're going mid-season though, you probably don't need to be so worried about finding somewhere high altitude. For example, I went to Soll in Austria last February. It was exceptionally warm for February, and Soll is one of the lowest European resorts (the entire ski area is lower than Tignes resort level), but slush was nearly non-existent. There are plenty of large resorts, particularly in France and Austria, which would then fit your criteria too.
snow report
Cervinia does nothing for me...
snow conditions
clashcityrocker, if those generalisations are how the whole group feels then they are going to be bitchin and moaning all week about how great the French mega resorts are compared to wherever you've chosen.

If you want a French mega resort experience, stick to French mega resorts and the associated vast number of punters and inflated prices (just to throw another generalisation in )

If you want to try something different, there are plenty of good suggestions above, but don't go there trying to compare them to French mega resorts.
snow report
Sella Ronda.
snow report
the vast majority of French resorts won't tick the boxes, either. Best stick to the handful you know already.
snow conditions
If you liked Deux Alpes then you would p!ss your pants at the Sella Ronda resorts
snow conditions
clashcityrocker, Play safe, stick to France, and those wonderful mega-Frenchies .....[generalisation](who now provide exceptionally questionable value for money, unless you are Russian!)....[/generalisation]

OR>>>>>>>>>>>>

Branch out by yourself, leave the mega-busy resorts, and do some myth-breaking on those pre-conceptions. Forget your ski-in-ski-out rabbit hutches, do your own thing, flights to Turin, hire a car, pick a spot in the Aosta Valley (Courmayeur will do nicely), stay at a half-decent hotel, (Auberge de la Maison) do your homework on the better resorts (Courmayeur, La Thuile, Champoluc, and possibly Cervinia), and be prepared for a very decent ski-safari. You won't go back to France again!!

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
clashcityrocker, my feelings re what I want from a ski resort are similar to yours.

If your group is a high standard I would recommend St Anton. High enough, definitely snowsure, ski in out, large well linked area. The drawback is terrible pistes but go there with intent on hiring guides for the week and doing off-piste. The off-piste is up there with anywhere. As is apres
snow conditions
Another vote here for Monte Rosa ..... stayed in Gressoney, Staffal in March and had superb week.
Thinking about a repeat trip this year .....

Already booked my Meribel January trip with 9 friends .... who all have same preconceptions and expectations as your lot !!
Took them to St Anton a few years ago ..... they loved it .....

Trying to persuade them to give Chamonix a try .....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy