Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on Volkl skis please

Poster: A snowHead
My missus & I started in Jan & have done two seperate weeks in C1650 with daily lessons. Between trips we've had half a dozen dryslope lessons.

I'd rank myself as a level 6 on Snow & Rocks ability scale with Deb at level 3.

I wanted to take advantage of the end of season sales so I spoke to loads of stores & got greatly differing opinions but in the end I took the plunge & bought Volkl Supersport 5*'s for me (I really love this high speed carving stuff) & 320 Gamma's for Deb.

Have I screwed up?

Incidentally, I paid £300 for the 5*'s with M12 bindings & £188 for the 320's with M10 bindings, which I thought were good prices.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Have I screwed up?

Not if that's what you liked. Smile
Personally I didn't like them - they felt very heavy when I demoed them (even compared to my hefty atomics) , but that's just me. I'm sure there's plenty of people that love them (and probably would hate my Atomics or 1080s!!) snowHead
What's a level 6 or 3? Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Volkl make some great skis. My experience is of the higher-end skis but I know that, through the line, their skis are well-engineered, well-constructed and generally durable (although they have had a few delamination problems with their sandwich skis). They have a good warranty service. Sounds good to me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Yes, you have screwed up. £300 for your skis but only £188 for hers? She'll make you suffer
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maggi

But I paid so that's ok isn't it?

I see you're also in Nottingham. We live in Lambley. Can you recommend either the Tamworth or Castleford indoor snow centres?

Jon
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stuarth

Re your level 6 or 3 enquiry.

Too much text to reproduce so please checkout their ability level page on http://www.snowandrock.com

Jon
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Too much text to reproduce so please checkout their ability level page on http://www.snowandrock.com

level 6 after 2 weeks, thats pretty good going!! snowHead
So did you check out the Grand Couloir? Shocked NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon,
Quote:

But I paid so that's ok isn't it?
Eer, no, it isn't. You are saying to her, in effect, "I am worth more than you". I think she deserves a new outfit as well, just to show her that you value her Wink

Ah, Lambley! I know your Dumbles well Shocked Personally, I'd go for Castleford over Tamworth any time. Snow is much better. Tamworth can get very icy and as for distance/travel time, there's not much difference. Don't know how crowded things are at the weekend though. The two times I've been I've taken the afternoon off work. Nice and peaceful then!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, come and join us at castleford of May 15th (see thread in Trips section) and make a decision yourself snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok I'll be the odd one out.

The lineup of skis in the same brand tends to be cheaper for more beginner-oriented skis and more expensive for skis aimed at advanced/ expert skiers.

That doesn't mean a pricier ski is better. Had you bought Deb a more expensive Volkl ski, you would have slowed the development of her skiing. Of course it's possible to find an expensive ski at any level, but I can't see the point - spend the money on tuition and a better holiday if you really want to prove something.

Spyderjon, I saw another of your mails, welcome to snowheads (and do post about those thin walls). Now for your skis. The price is excellent. What I hear of the 5*s is that they are aimed at advanced/expert skiers. These are probably skis that will require you to do a lot of work to use them to their potential. At level 6 you may not be exploiting them fully at the beginning, but if you keep improving that fast you may well get a lot of smiles from them in the next couple of seasons.

(Disclaimer: I have no idea how you ski - I generally find it difficult to believe that more than 5-10% of skiers would get to level 6 in two weeks, with the best lessons, but there are instructors out there who know much more than me and would argue otherwise. And anyway you may be amongst those 5-10%!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

spyderjon, come and join us at castleford of May 15th (see thread in Trips section) and make a decision yourself

I've only been to the snowdome in MK, but I'm not sure you'll be able to discover your skis true potential on a short relatively flat snowdome run - one high speed carved half turn and you'll be at the bottom!! Also I found it a bit lacking in powder, tree (though it does have support columns!), and bump runs!! NehNeh snowHead

BTW if you're anything like me it might take you a while to get used to your skis, I hired some Scream Xtra hots when I was in Tahoe for a few days - at first I really didn't like them (I'd been skiing on my 1080s the previous week), but after a few hours I loved them - same with my SX9s (though it took about a week and a half until I decided that I did actually like them afterall having nearly abandoned them and gone back to my 'comfy slipper' 1080s - they can be a bit of a handful, strangely the thing I liked about the SX11s when I demoed them)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth, sorry - my comment was regarding spyderjon making a decision between Castleford and Tamworth - not about his skis Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oops - i didn't read maggi's message above yours!! Confused snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All

Many thanks for your comments. I've already posted a request for two slots at the May 15th Castleford day - we look forward to meeting you all then.

Cedric,

Your comments on our ski selection was exactly the criteria I used in that I didn't want to make things too difficult for Deb and I'm prepared to upgrade her skis when appropriate. I'm quite happy to have skis that I need to work as being a lazy sod I think this will help me improve.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm in the 5-10% bracket! As I mentioned in my other post, I've done a couple of weeks as a teenager (albeit 25 years ago) & I found in Jan that I was back into linked snowplough turns in a hour or two. Counting the dryslope lessons as a weeks skiing I've therefore clocked three weeks over a nine week period which is quite concentrated, with the benefit of being able to snowplough from the start.

I'd like to do some indoor skiing to hopefully continue to improve, or at least not fall back. One of my main problems is that I'm probably 20lbs overweight so I'll be posting a request re suitable ski exercises in the near future.

Jon

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 7-04-04 21:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks a bunch Maggi!

Deb read your reply & has just come home with a new Helly Hansen jacket to redress the expenditure gap.

Apparently it was a bargain! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
spyderjon, Well, us girls have to stick together Wink
latest report
I'm just about to head off to the airport (in 50 mins' time). I'll be on the slopes testing out my brand new Volkl 5*'s this afternoon! snowHead snowHead I'll let you know how good they are.

I really liked the pair of Volkl Carver Motions that I had before. See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26 for more about my Carver Motions.
latest report
The *****'s were superb. They made my skiing good! snowHead
latest report
alexpresland,

Great to hear you were pleased with them.

Deb's Gamma's & my 5*'s are still virgins but we're going with the snowHeads crowd to the Castleford Xscape in May. Can't wait.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy