Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Night Trip

Poster: A snowHead
So the wife has very kindly agreed to me having 2 nights away snowboarding this winter while she stays home with the 3 kids.

The question is what do i do this year? last year i did a day trip to les Arcs on the Euro Star, went friday night came back saturday night. As much as i enjoyed it, it was a lot of travelling for 1 day. Im trying to figure a way of getting 2 days skiiing with only being away for 2 nights?

Is that possible?? I have been looking and thinking about Scotland but thing is i need this planned an booked and i read a lot that scotland depeneds on snow and your best to sit and wait for the snow to fall then go.

Any suggestions welcome?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could possibly get 2.5 days' skiing in if you get a very early flight on day 1 and a late one back on day 3. 8.30pm flight back gives plenty of time to ski all day then get to the airport.

Geneva, Zurich and Munich all have lots of choice of flights and skiing within 1.5-2hours' drive
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would look at Innsbruck. Fly in, quick transfer to a hotel. get the ski bus from the city centre to a number of different places. Very easy and they do a number of hotel and ski pass deals. Ive done it before and it works really well for short trips.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thats one i never thought about googiew. Stay in innsbruck and get bus to resort, hmmm, can you recomend best/closest resort to go for ski?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I did it a few years back, I went here http://www.axamer-lizum.at/en/ There are a few others that live closer that could probably offer more detailed advice.

The good thing with Innsbruck is that it is easy to get to. When we did it we actually went via Munich and then got the train. With BA you have a good choice of times if you can fly from London. YOu could probably get a tea time flight on a Friday, get into Munich and get across to Innsbruck in reasonable time. There is an Ibis right next to the train station and ski bus stop. On the Sunday you could get a late flight back from Munich and so just get them to hold your gear at the hotel. There are also showers at Munich airport which are 15 euro and so you could get back to your hotel, pick your stuff up and head straight to the airport and have a shower there. Granted it is not ideal, however the train journey is pretty quick and so is an option! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never done it but if flights work then Innsbruck sounds like a fine idea. Nice city. Handy flights from near York might be the killer. Also, if it was my wife, I'd want some frequency on flights in case winter played funny at either end...a conversation of "it's going to take me two days to get a flight out" would not be received well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, yeah I did not see the York location, however you can get into Munich via other carriers pretty easily. This is the deal they do http://www.innsbruck-pauschalen.com/winter/skihotels.html it is pretty good value in my opinion.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decide which airports UK side you're prepared to go from and work with destinations from there. Milan Malpensa is a good wildcard cheap hire car and you can easily get a near full day in on the last day and get back for an 8 pm flight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
googiew, doesn't look like either LB or Manchester would work for direct and with that sort of schedule you really want direct (and ideally hand luggage only).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah its either leeds or manchester, or the train, just difficult trying to get right times.

I can get retrun flights to geneva for £72 but the times dont fit, im only getting 2 half days rather than full days.
I get the train cheap so can get return train tickets to alps for under £50, but just takes to long!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think you have to work out which airports you can easily get to, that have a late-ish flight back on a Sunday (or whenever).
Somewhere like Munich will have more flight options, but realistically, it's 2 hours by car or train from most significant ski places.
Somewhere like Innsbruck is handy in that it's a city, you can clomp quite literally over the road, or take the lift down straight to the bus/tram stop that goes direct to ski lifts, or station for places like Zillertal or St.Anton, and the hotels are geared up for single nights, weekends, etc.
I tend to go there, but have a car (although parking fees are extortion in the centre), and then drive... 45mins or so to Zillertal is not really much different to the STB tram up towards Stubai, or the bus to Patcherkofel, or tram round town, funicular thingy etc. up to Nordkette.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thestoney6, Maybe also work on a longer term plan, start taking the kids to Castleford and get them hooked too.

Can you get cheap train tickets for family members as well as for yourself ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
thestoney6, Maybe also work on a longer term plan, start taking the kids to Castleford and get them hooked too.

Can you get cheap train tickets for family members as well as for yourself ?

Thats the plan bud, eldest is 5 and is now telling me he wants to ski, so he is too young to learn now and come away with me this season but plan is for next season, get lessons and a year at Castleford under him then the 2 of us can go next year for a bit longer.

Yeah cheap train tickets for family just not friends unfortuantly
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just did a quick look for Manchester - Munich in January and there seems to be a late flight back on a Sunday that would work. Just need to get there now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
googiew, even if you only get on the slopes by lunchtime on Friday, that's still a possible 2.5 days for 2 nights which isn't too bad snowHead
snow conditions
ok so found flights to geneva from manchester saturday morning, arrive in geneva at 0955, can be in chamonix by 12, on slopes for half day pass at 1230?
all day sunday on piste, stay sunday night, fly home to leeds bradford at 1600 on the monday, so would have all monday morning on slope.

that gives me a full 2 days on the piste, 2 nights in chamonix, for a grand total of £130, excluding ski pass and hire
ski holidays
thestoney6, 5-0

Accom?
latest report
thestoney6, I wouldn't rule out Scotland as an (extra) option. Book a family room at a youth hostel and take the whole family for a weekend. You can go off boarding and they can do something else during the day. That way you could get 2 full days on the slopes and your wife still has you to help with childcare of an evening.
ski holidays
OOOOoooo!!!.. this is quite shameless but totally relevant.. .Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!

https://www.facebook.com/austrianadventures/posts/10152566671257534
latest report
can you get the wiggle room for an extra day? if so have a think about some of the early season performance camps.
snow report
Quote:

you might get 2 full days on the slopes

Happy fixed it for you...
latest report
no unfortunatly the 2 nights is my limit.

So far the best i can find is early flight to Geneva Sat morning, Late flight home monday night £75, cheapest accom i can find so far is £111 for the 2 nights in Chamonix (there are 2 of us so £56 each) then its £50 euros for transfers and 90 euros for 2 days worth of ski pass.

Or im thinking of just doing what i did last year and go to les arcs on Friday night train and have all day, then come home saturday night on train. For me it costs £60. then try and be craft and see if i could do it again late season.

hmmmm..
latest report
have you thought about getting a new wife who understands the need to ski ?
snow conditions
train for that makes no sense at all. that's a train bash with a few hours skiing before the return train. may as well hop on train to Aviemore if you're going to do that.

fly to geneva, rent a car, if nowhere in resort has a convenient place that will allow 2 night stays, then Ibis in Thonon or Sallanches, and drive up to Ardent or Chamonix. I expect there must be a similar Campanile or something. All hotels where you can arrive at 1am with no issue on the friday night.
latest report
thestoney6, I don't have time to read the previous answers but you should get 2.5 days if you find suitable flights.
We did it many times (ski on flight days)....

There used to be a very good Ryanair connection to Salzburg.
We usually landed around 10am in Salzburg, had group transfer booked (around 50E per person both ways), 1h to get to resort, quick change and you should be skiing around 12 or 1pm.
Flight back was departing around 9pm so again we could ski until 5pm as the transfer was only 1h and pick up from hotel.

Assuming you find similar timings you can do Schladming, Flachau, Wagrain, Obertauern all 1h away.....

I guess if you find similar timings for flights to other airports it could work the same (maybe with car rental will help).
I would look at:
Turin - to Milky Way resorts
Nice - to Isola 2000
Geneva - to many places I guess
Innsbruck - as mentioned would be ideal but I always found it hard to find cheap flights and early/late flights
Maybe Friedrischafen - to some Varalberg resorts........
snow report
thestoney6, or mabe get the overnight train, but come back by plane, then you could ski all Saturday, Sunday, and whatever you get on Monday - obviously depends on return flight time and your resorts, I guess the transfer will be longer than previous options but 2.5 days should be doable......
snow report
googiew wrote:
I would look at Innsbruck. Fly in, quick transfer to a hotel. get the ski bus from the city centre to a number of different places. Very easy and they do a number of hotel and ski pass deals. Ive done it before and it works really well for short trips.

This. Lovely city too.

Failing that, Portes du Soleil area could work. As someone said - Geneva, rent car and drive to resort (only 1hr15 drive), drive up to the Ardent ski lift (the lift I used every morning last season - great for accessing the whole area). The issue would be accommodation - hotels tend to be in Les Gets/Morzine, and you'll need a hotel or hostel for a 2 night stay, not an apartment or chalet.

Chamonix I don't like for 2 days, due to the faffing around driving from accommodation to lifts if you stay in town (you could of course get accommodation near one ski area there).

Flaine also a Geneva option for 2 days. UCPA accommodation?
snow report
Be a bit of an expedition/experience but you could try this:
Pack light!
Plane to GVA (plenty of options, often cheap)
Bus to Chevry (around €8, not far but goes round the houses and takes an hour)
Taxi or walk 2km to Crozet
Change and put everything else in a rucksack
Buy lift pass (around €40 each for 2 days [2008 prices])
Ride lifts then board down to Refuge de la Loge (€32 pppn demi-pension)

http://www.monts-jura.com/en/practical-info-winter/accomodations/refuge-de-la-loge-239820.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/739263/Head-for-Crozet-and-leave-the-crowds-behind.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chamonix inexpensive accomm and good bar craic at the Vagabond, easy 5-6 minute walk up to Brevent. Enough there for 2 days...
snow conditions
Quote:
So far the best i can find is early flight to Geneva Sat morning

What time would you get on the slopes? If the answer is before midday it seems a goer. Otherwise you need to find a late Friday flight. Can't see why the missus would care if you went late Friday or early Saturday.
ski holidays
Have you looked at Singapore Airlines out of Manchester? 0845 flight out gets you into Munich just before midday. Return flight leaves Munich at 0610 and gets you back into Manchester at 0725. Which means you could add an extra night on without taking any extra holidays, just fly home on the Monday and go straight to work. £190 return, with luggage and skis free if you want to take your own.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Quote:
So far the best i can find is early flight to Geneva Sat morning

What time would you get on the slopes? If the answer is before midday it seems a goer. Otherwise you need to find a late Friday flight. Can't see why the missus would care if you went late Friday or early Saturday.

the flight arrives at geneva 0955, so with hand luggage only and quick transfer could on the slope for midday

Ive never been to chamonix which is why i was looking, spent a lot of time in portes du soel to wanted to try somewhere different
latest report
Chamonix is quite different. Good, but different. Very easy transfer, none of this mucking about on country roads snowHead
ski holidays
whats it like getting to the slopes, do you have to get a bus i keep reading? is it not ski to door type resort?
snow report
If you have a car you'll be fine. Maybe drive to Brevent on arrival - there's a car park there, you have to pay for it, but it's not much, and it's very convenient. It's one of the first ski areas so you'd get there fairly quickly.

On your final day maybe ski at Les Houches, as you're then almost at the exit of the valley, giving you an extra 15mins ski time if you leave from there.

If you won't have a hire car then pick accomodation right beside one of the areas. There's not much ski in/out but you can find places a short walk from most of the ski areas. Argentiere might be a good base, though it's further up the valley, so you'll lose a bit of your time travelling to it either end.
snow report
Another option could be staying in Les Carroz and skiing the Grand Massif?

It's a fantastic large skiing area, and there's plenty of accommodation in Les Carroz close to the lifts. It's also pretty quick and easy transfer wise from Geneva.
snow report
As I suggested, if you're on a tight budget, the Vagabond is easy walking distançe from the Brevent. If you're only there for two days (even two weeks!) is quite enough to keep you entertained.
snow conditions
fixx wrote:
Another option could be staying in Les Carroz and skiing the Grand Massif?

It's a fantastic large skiing area, and there's plenty of accommodation in Les Carroz close to the lifts. It's also pretty quick and easy transfer wise from Geneva.

funny you say that i have been looking at Grand Massif, found some real cheap accom in Sitx and soamoens, but transfers to the resorts seem less frequant and expensive.

Was looking at Chamonix due to regular 30 min shuttles from Geneva, accom in chamoinx is apart le cosy, 143 Chemin des Saubérands, 74400 Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France, anyone know how far from slopes it would be wlk/bus
snow conditions
thestoney6, Samoens probably Sixt definitely will require buses. Sixt is tiny. Why is the accommodation so cheap? TANSTAAFL.

"Le Cosy" isn't in the best location but perfectly doable. 10-15 minute walk to Brevent. Very short walk to the MBC, nachos and beer.
ski holidays
Totally agree with under a new name - if you're in Chamonix the Vagabond is a great option on a budget. I don't know Le Cosy, but it doesn't look as convenient.

Samoens and Sixt aren't as convenient in grand Massif as Les Carroz when you're tight on time. You will probably have to pay a bit more for quick access to resort and slopes generally I'm afraid.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy