Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre Christmas resort ideas - opinions please

Poster: A snowHead
For our first trip of the season myself and MrsS need to go 13th-20th December. We will be driving, and are both experienced skiers, can ski any piste, bit of off-piste etc. I have come up with shortlist of resorts (where we could get a decent deal):

Les Deux Alpes - never been here - opinions?
Solden - nor here
Saalbach/Hinterglemm - nor here either - is it high enough to stand a good chance of early snow?
Mayrhofen - only been here at half term (too crowded!). Has Hintertux as a fallback, but what is the local skiing likely to be like pre-Christmas?
Kaprun - been here on a course, but without instruction the glacier could be a bit limited - what is Zell likely to be like?
Kirchberg - not been, what is the skiing like early season?

I have read up a bit on these places, which are mainly quite new to us, but would welcome others opinions. I am well aware of the "wait to see where the snow is view", but want to have a pretty good idea of a plan in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I am well aware of the "wait to see where the snow is view", but want to have a pretty good idea of a plan in advance.

Good idea to do some research, but at that time of year it really won't be hard to find accommodation and you could have a much wider choice than you've indicated (though many smaller resorts in France won't be fully open on 13th no matter how much snow there is). I'd decide on the broad area, book flights, then wait and see.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobinS, You can add Obertauern and Schladming to that list. Both open relatively early and usually have good snow cover and plenty to ski. Being further east, no need to get hung up on height. I regularly ski from the beginning of December in non-glacial resorts. Last season on those days I had a fabulous day skiing with Annemarie Moser-Pröll and in the 27kms we covered we were never higher than 2000m or so and skied down to about 800m with ease.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have booked my Dad in for a trip to Mayrhofen the week before. If he drives all the way here for no snow, then he is not going to be a happy camper. You can never guarantee anything, however taking the last few years into account then I am reasonably confident it will all be ok. In fact last season some of the best weeks were at the start. Only thing is that it will not all be open the week he is here, as they will start to open more the week you are thinking of.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, Obertauern will certainly look at, as never been there. Schladming we have skied several times before, and on balance would prefer somewhere new.
googiew, Thanks for the feedback on Mayrhofen (while we have been there it was back when our skiing was nowhere near as competent!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Solden is high so should be fully opened, and you could drive as well to nearby Obergurgl which usually starts early as well.

Saalbach is a great place but you are not guaranteed early snow, it should be fine, but I do not think they will try as hard as other similar height resorts to be fully opened before XMS, if you know what I mean, for example Schladming will, as they are known for early starts.

Obertauern is a nice option, although not that big, so if you driving I will definitely do day trips to Zauchensee, Flachau or even Katschberg. http://www.bergfex.com/katschberg/

Ischgl will be another place to consider, great for early season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LDA is a marmite resort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Tom W, useful info, especially about Saalbach. A lot of Austrian resorts open early, but they do seem to vary in enthusiasm. been to Ischgl a couple of times and did consider it, but it is bit out of budget for this trip!
Layne, Since I hate marmite does that mean I won't have fun at LDA? What do people love and what do they hate? Or will we have to find out for ourselves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobinS wrote:
A lot of Austrian resorts open early, but they do seem to vary in enthusiasm.

How nicely said! Vary in enthusiasm....

Normally the week just before XMS should be fine everywhere, assuming there is enough snow.

Again if you have a car and do not mind short drives, from Zell you could do Saalbach and Kaprun on day trips.

I posted many times about LDA, usually negative, but in fact my only problem is that the place feels small, more like 80km resort rather than 200km they advertise.
Saying this, the rest is ok, views, glacier, some runs, lifts and I even liked the village. Just expect to ski down the same runs every day Wink (almost)....

There is so much more in Saalbach and they also adverise as 200km.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know I'm biased but have you considered La Plagne or Les Arcs? Both have a glacier so there is sure to be skiing, and the lift passes that week are heavily discounted. The Vanoise link and some of the lower village-areas are shut at the beginning of those dates, but the same applies for most other resorts too.

Hope you find somewhere which suits . . .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS, I skied one day in LDA on an excursion from ADH. It was bitterly cold but even taking that I wasn't attracted to the place and haven't been back. The town itself is strung out along the valley floor either side of the road and isn't attractive. The skiing is, what can I say, just OK. There are some bottlenecks, the resort level runs are challenging, there is no tree level skiing. There are a couple (probably more) mammoth threads on here about your favourite and least favourite resorts and LDA cropped up regularly with I'd say a 60/40 or 70/30 dislike to like ration. But the ones who liked it, really liked it. And clearly it wouldn't exist if there weren't punters who liked it. I do actually think I could happily spend a week there. It's not purgatory! But I don't know, somehow I more attracted to other places.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Normally the week just before XMS should be fine everywhere, assuming there is enough snow.

That's a bit of a big generalisation; some resorts won't be fully open until the Christmas week. The places with the highest skiing are often not the most attractive and if it's cold and snowy having tree skiing will be far more important than having high altitude slopes. But if it's a bit warm, and the "snow-making" claims irrelevant, then you'll be desperate to find high altitude skiing. There really is no good argument for booking accommodation for that very low season week until the last minute.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

What Pam said. Even assuming there's enough snow, many places (n.b. in France... other countries/regions differ) don't plan on opening until Xmas week. Chamonix for instance, with the exception of the Grands Montets (and Les Houches, ploughing their own furrow as usual) isn't even suggesting opening until the 20th. They just don't generally get the trade to justify it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most Austrian resorts open fully the weekend before Xmas week, especially the bigger places. Sölden was fully open 9th Dec in 2009 for example, that was the first Outside for Rob and Co.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We would generally plan to go somewhere scheduled to open a bit before our arrival. It does seem that many Austrian resorts open before a lot of the French ones (except the obvious Espace Killy etc.) Obertauern as mentioned schedule to open late November, Ischgl ditto, Solden is open early, even Zell am See, which is quite low we skied on about 5th December last season.
latest report
RobinS, how about cervinia?
snow report
sarah, Thanks for the suggestion, but we did Cervinia that same pre Christmas week several years ago, it was good, but the skiing there suited our abilities at the time - we were mainly blue run skiers. Nowadays we would find it a bit tame, apart from going over to Zermatt - and we have been there more recently as well.
latest report
RobinS, if you're driving, you really can wait until the last minute.

Another thought might be Champoluc, "official" opening, 9.12.14. Fully snow cannoned and reasonably high. We'd have skied there Nov 30 if we hadn't had chores to do.
ski holidays
RobinS Espace Killy is as guaranteed as you'll get for snow at that time of year. We've been most years since 2007 in the first two weeks of December and have always had a fair bit of the ski area to go at (including links to Val D'Isere). Powder's not unknown at that time as well.

PM me if any interest in our Tignes apartment - cheap at that time of year and Snowheads discount too wink.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy