Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing in Switzerland / Austria, is it worth the effort / cost

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, It seems like I may have a few days off after some work in Zurich towards the end of this month. Are any of the Swiss or Austrian glaciers worth a look or is it not worth the travel / cost for a couple of t-bars?

If skiing is not worth it at that time of year what are everyones top tips for some summer mountain fun (nothing too crazy, casual walking/hiking and such rather than full in nutter downhill mountain biking!).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schnee42, if the weather's nice, just go to one of the Badi's and swim in the lake, not forgetting some burgers & bratwurst to put on the public grill & a bottle of prosecco Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Current snow conditions are excellent and far above average due to the cold and rainy weather during all july. However, august is still to come.

Zermatt would be your best bet. Saas Fee a good second.

Here's a thread on alpinforum with frequently updated conditions in Zermatt, incl. photos taken on the slopes
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=48127&start=450

july 16th

report summerski zermatt + saas fee (18-23 july) http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=51388
report summerski saas fee (19 july) http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=51366
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Saas Fee in July. I would say not worth it, unless you are doing something specific. We were there for freestyle training, rather than general skiing, and that was great fun.

Things to bear in mind (Saas Fee, anyway)

- Very limited skiing
- Icy in the mornings, slushy by 11, you can only ski to 1pm
- Takes ages to get to a skiable area – you have to go all the way up to the glacier to ski, no jumping off at midstation and making your way across the mountain to interesting areas.
- Saas Fee village is a bit boring, if you’re not doing trampoline training or fitness stuff in the afternoons as part of your training
- The village in July is not as warm as you would think either, so you don’t get baking afternoons in the sun/by a picturesque outdoor pool

So to reiterate, I wouldn’t do it unless I was on the British Freeski camp again. If I were, I would – brilliant and useful experience, ready-made social life, good skills picked up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cervinia is looking good on the warren smith youtube blog, keep mentioning fresh snow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Cervinia is looking good on the warren smith youtube blog, keep mentioning fresh snow

I know they are based in Cervinia for the summer. But it always seems slightly odd describing it as "skiing in Cervinia". 99.9% of the summer ski area is on the Swiss side. the 0.1% that is in Italy is a couple of lift poles.

I was there (Zermatt) last week. The snow was very good. Even though I am a regular there I am not sure I'd go out "just" to ski in the summer. It is a really nice add on to walking and cycling but not a big enough attraction in and of itself. It is basically like a very large outdoor snowdome. Of course on a sunny day that can still be a fantastic summer experience.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm tempted but I guess the right thing to do would be to see how the weather / conditions are looking closer to the date. Zermatt seems like the winner if we stay in Switzerland. Does anyone have experience of / rate highly any of the Austrian glacier resorts?

Failing that where would people recommend for a nice few (non skiing) days in the mountains doing easy hikes etc within 3 or so hours drive of Zurich?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schnee42, if the weather is right and you hit the glacier after some fresh snowfall then it can be fun, but I'd go with the hiking in mind rather than the skiing. In Austria Hintertux is good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnMo wrote:
But it always seems slightly odd describing it as "skiing in Cervinia". 99.9% of the summer ski area is on the Swiss side. the 0.1% that is in Italy is a couple of lift poles.

That percentage is far higher in large part of most summers.
Depending on the year, the slope till Cime Bianche (2800) is open till about mid july. This gives 700 vertical meters on the Italian side.

Besides, quality of this slope is much better than, say, the slope that goes down to Trockener Steg.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen wrote:
Schnee42, if the weather is right and you hit the glacier after some fresh snowfall then it can be fun, but I'd go with the hiking in mind rather than the skiing. In Austria Hintertux is good.

Hintertux is the only Austrian glacier open all summer. Conditions are FAR better than normal for august, this year.
Here's a recent report http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51348

I would still favour Zermatt though, and I've summer-skied in both.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

That percentage is far higher in large part of most summers.
Depending on the year, the slope till Cime Bianche (2800) is open till about mid july. This gives 700 vertical meters on the Italian side.

Besides, quality of this slope is much better than, say, the slope that goes down to Trockener Steg.

Is that so? Interesting. This is only my second year of having a place out there. In 2013 in the May we were skiing down to Cime Bianche on the Italian slide. But even by then it was struggling. You had to walk over bare ground at the end to the lift. When we were back out in July not surprisingly it was closed by then.

This year even in May the Italian side was already closed. It was a real pity because after the late snow the conditions were superb.

I actually like the Furgsattel to Trockerner Steg piste that is open until June on the Swiss side (before it is just the piste up the top) - but, yes I agree that drop from the border down to Cime Bianche on the Italian side is great fun and the better of the two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi John,

It's been quite a while since I summerskied in Zermatt. I didn't ski Furgsattel. But I read at least 1 report where there were lots of complaints about the poling and walking at the end of the slope to get back to the start of the lift.

Regarding snowconditions and skiing down to Cime Bianche, see these 2 reports dating june 2010 and 2013
2010 http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=35774&p=4696815
2013 http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47639&p=4922466

The picture below is dated 30.06.2013 - as you can see there is still an uninterrupted snowfield till below Lago Goillet (2500)

Another one, also from 30.06.2013, showing the end of the piste till Cime Bianche and Lago Goillet (still partly frozen)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've summer-skied in Cervinia/Zermatt several times, many years ago but I'm not sure its changed that much.

The pattern was the same every day. Frozen crud first thing, about an hour of good snow, then slush.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. There are other things to do in the summer that are more fun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Onnem wrote:
Hi John,

It's been quite a while since I summerskied in Zermatt. I didn't ski Furgsattel. But I read at least 1 report where there were lots of complaints about the poling and walking at the end of the slope to get back to the start of the lift.

Regarding snowconditions and skiing down to Cime Bianche, see these 2 reports dating june 2010 and 2013
2010 http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=35774&p=4696815
2013 http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47639&p=4922466

The picture below is dated 30.06.2013 - as you can see there is still an uninterrupted snowfield till below Lago Goillet (2500)

Another one, also from 30.06.2013, showing the end of the piste till Cime Bianche and Lago Goillet (still partly frozen)

Good stuff. I hope the Italian side not opening this year was a one off. It is nice to have the option to go down that side as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks stunning, why would you not go?
latest report
balernoStu wrote:
Looks stunning, why would you not go?

As others have said, a lot of the time it is icy-good-slushy with the good period not being that long. This year it has been powder a lot of the time! When I was out last week I only went up one day. Unfortunately the light was not good but the snow conditions were very good indeed.

If you are in the area I agree why not go. After all people go the snowdomes in Hemel, Milton Keynes etc - and this is much, much better than that. I just wouldn't go there just for that. You'd get pretty bored by Day 2. Fortunately there is loads of other stuff to do in the summer. It is a good summer selling point for Zermat and Cervinia and the other places with glacier skiing that you can add a day or two up there to your activities.
snow report
IMO you need to have something specific to focus on - training of some sort, perhaps somebodies x,y,z course with other group members, otherwise there just isn't enough terrain ( km's or variety) to keep the interest up for 'free skiing' more than 1 or 2 days. Agreed some people can spend a whole day in a UK fridge - but to go to all the expense / hassle, getting yourself over there for few days / week unless (as others have said), doing other things in the mountains as well or being in the area, i wouldn't do it again and i haven't been back since.

Agree with others on the Icy (first thing 8-8:30), Good (early / mid morning 9-10:30) Slushy ( 11:00 onwards) and finishing 13:00 / 13:30. generally this is what i experienced in Saas Fee early Aug 2009.

But i didn't mind the altering snow conditions and it's just so much better than a UK fridge for the obvious reasons - i just can't justify a whole week without a damn good reason and the minimum that would be is a SPECIFIC COURSE i desperately wanted to do!

Personally i adore being in the mountains in the summer. Bike riding, trekking around etc but not just glacier skiing stuck in a mountain resort - too many expensive outlays to satisfy my passion. Do something else in the summer to pep it all up for the coming winter season !
snow conditions
Never summer skied in Austria, but I did spend a week skiing in Zermat one August many years ago.

It was good fun, but only a handful of runs open and only at the very top. By around 2pm the fog begins to roll in, and skiing for the day is over. Worth the money, not sure. But still loads of fun. Probably better to find a cheaper resort with summer skiing. Perhaps Tignes?
latest report
trip report from Zermatt, august 15ht, excellent conditions
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=51492

wide and long slopes
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9rWDOc_GSLY/U-4r1_c5kqI/AAAAAAAABlM/8mT2K13Nu1U/w1195-h672-no/DSC05807

powdery snow
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lJZGDCTIlWc/U-4sDP5GG7I/AAAAAAAABlc/Zi1V8TFROok/w1195-h672-no/DSC05816
snow report
i have skied only one summer...in Tignes and Zermatt.
If you want to go ONLY for skiing i really dont know if its worth it.
If you want to go and make many things incl. skiing then its ok.
Especially in Zermatt i loved it. Skiing until 12.00 then bach to hotel and make a little trekking until 16.00 pm
It was a perfect 4days holiday...the problem are the prices....probably the most expensive McDonalds in Europe

But as i said, we made a round trip.
4 days Zermatt
3 days Tignes
then 3 days Lech for trekking etc
and finally 5 days in Toscane for eating-drinking and being lazy....only for skiing i really dont know.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy