Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Autumnal Nip? Winter's a Coming - Best Check on Freezing Levels!

Poster: A snowHead
There was a distinctly cool, autumnal feel to this morning's early doors cycle to work.....Great stuff! Winter's a coming! Very Happy

Who knows, it could potentially be only 11 or 12 weeks until Scotland gets some lifts running!

In the meantime, the glaciers beckon - write out a hundred times:

I really MUST get round to planning some early season skiing
I really MUST get round to planning some early season skiing
I really MUST get round to planning some early season skiing......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, getting excited are we?

The web-cam watching will be in full swing before we know it! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep - was thinking the same thing last few mornings - and some trees are turning

Now I must write out 100 times

Must not look at webcams
Must not look at webcams
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely and summery here in Geneva Happy for once...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, +1. Finally.

Though I just sent an email to a bunch of friends this morning to start planning a few ski weekends for November Smile It's never too early!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been saying for a while that this could be the year for October turns in the Central Beacons Massif

If it comes to pass, then it'll be the first time for me Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im hoping 15th august was the high point on the 30 year average

heres to the decent towards powdery joy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, distinctly soggy feel where I am. Got soaked. Nothing autumnal yet. Apart from the wind.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heyyyy I've got a September hol to Tuscany to come yet, I want it to be warm and summery for a few more weeks yet! I'm not going to start thinking wintry thoughts til I get back.

Although the cooler nights at the moment are welcome, I must say.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PahHoneyBunny! Call yourself a Snowhead!!

Must admit, I've really enjoyed our (for once) half decent summer & a lot of Alps-like (er except the Alps this summer Confused ) dusty, dry UK mountain bike trails - but at this time of year would kill for a bluebird powder day! It all seems so far away - even if we fit in an autumn glacier run.... Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, Boris, You are both light weight when it comes to getting excited!! I hear no mention of endless and pointless (so my wife tells me at least) un packing, packing, re packing and strocking of all ski gear whilst watching webcams and ski videos!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PaulC1984, trying to avoid getting too excited - is a 50/50 chance there will be no skiing this year Shocked

Finances are ok but fragile at moment and skiing may be the thing which has to take the hit
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, Sad dont you have a spare limb or family member you can sell?! Toofy Grin

I know how that feels mind, id been banned from ski hols since I fractured my shoulder skiing 2 years ago just before our son was born - Thankfully shes now given me permission to go again!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984, hmm well if I could sell twin teenage boys I could afford to go skiing from the saving on food bill alone Laughing

Anyone want a Kevin and Perry double act
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boris, you can set up a car wash business with them??
http://youtube.com/v/Lqm8JGnSshE Toofy Grin
ski holidays
My children seem to have reached the same conclusion about winter being on the way. They're industriously writing their letters to Father Christmas as I type this.
ski holidays
Have to say I'm quite content to be back here in the UK at the moment, whilst I was away with all the hot sunny weather there was a distinct lack of any strong winds, since I've returned it's been windy nigh on every day and I'm sure many of you might be aware that we have the left overs of Hurricane Bertha arriving Sunday.

August is very often like this (one of the reasons I come back).

For me it's the equivalent of nigh on "bluebird powder day(s)" with the sunshine and a warm sea, you could almost fool yourself into thinking you're abroad.

Kiting very much gives the huge adrenalin rush that more demanding skiing / boarding gives, though can be too "extreme" for many as things can go dramatically wrong very quickly.

If you have a FaceBook account check these shots out from the local photographer here on Costa Del Geriatrica.

Here's a couple of from our local hill Cool

And the OH who still prefers to windsurf

latest report
Weathercam, wow. Very jealous. Always wanted to surf/wind surf but alas i live in the middle of the country and have too many hobbies already. Love the pics!
snow report
I'm loving our summer in the UK and planning an autumn walking trip to the Alps in September/October - no dates set yet. Getting excited about early snow is usually a quick route to disappointment, when it all melts. Other than the glaciers, time enough to think about freezing levels in 4 months time. wink
ski holidays
pam w, how was your sailing trip last weekend, as we had quite a sea breeze, Fri, Sat and Sun ?
ski holidays
Weathercam, it was good. The bounciest part of the whole trip was the Western Solent with wind over tide, going down to Yarmouth on Thursday. From the Needles over to Cherbourg on Friday we had a mostly SW wind so, close-hauled all the way, except for some hours of absolute flat calm in the middle of the channel. We sailed about two-thirds of the way, over 8 knots at times. Coming back Sunday evening/night was terrific. Good visibility, enough ships to keep us awake but not to be too intimidated, good free wind, not cold, not rough, did 6 - 7 knots all night under the stars. A few hours of plugging a foul tide at the end, especially at Chichester Harbour entrance, but that's to be expected - can't win 'em all! The skipper we had volunteered to crew for was a funny old boy - exceptionally experienced professional mariner (Thames Waterman, Trinity House Pilot, dock pilot, Master Foreign Going etc etc ) but "losing it" a bit - lots of long and confused stories. He was very handicapped by two replacement knees, well into his 80s, and was appalled to be rafted up outside another boat in our rally as he cannot climb over the guardrails and down onto a pontoon. An initially somewhat bored and taciturn French girl in a RIB who was doing the berthing turned up trumps though, when I explained, and although the port was nominally full found us a stern-to mooring when I explained the difficulty and actually smiled when I thanked her!

The skipper worried my brother in law and me by sitting in the cockpit for most of the night passage with no life jacket and no lifeline. He's an old salt, though, and I guess that is par for the course. He was certainly much better than we were at judging the exact aspect and course of the ships we encountered (not surprisingly, given his credentials) and his boat handling under power was breathtaking (again, not surprisingly as he'd berthed lots of big ships) but he's not really a sailor and I was itching for him to go below for a break as he had the sails pinned in a bit too tight for a following wind. I suspect he had us down as flakey yachties. wink
ski holidays
Quote:
You are both light weight when it comes to getting excited!!
Oh yeah PaulC1984?? How about being so excited that, in August one year recently, we could wait no more and just had to scratch the itch.....Mrs MA and I cracked and drove 300 miles to the Cairngorms to ski a 200 metre snow patch that had been mentioned on another ski forum.

After about an hour and a half's hike up, we crested the hill to view the snow patch on the other side.....No sign(gulp) - because it had shrunk by over half its length since I'd read about it (er, admittedly a week or two before!). Once we found it we had a great time and spent a few hours lapping the remaining snow, eventually skiing it into a piste-like condition. As you may see from the following photo of the said patch, we're fairly easily pleased Very Happy !

ski holidays
wouldn't it have been easier to go to an indoor slope Wink
latest report
mountainaddict, you are reet bonkers! Very Happy Your SH name is apt.
snow report
Mountainaddict, you really must join the Lake District ski club, if not already members ?

You are both perfect material.
snow report
mountainaddict, haha, compared to you, I'm nothing like!!

I only start getting really excited in November, otherwise looking at the webcams is just miserable.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
You are both light weight when it comes to getting excited!!
Oh yeah PaulC1984?? How about being so excited that, in August one year recently, we could wait no more and just had to scratch the itch.....Mrs MA and I cracked and drove 300 miles to the Cairngorms to ski a 200 metre snow patch that had been mentioned on another ski forum.

After about an hour and a half's hike up, we crested the hill to view the snow patch on the other side.....No sign(gulp) - because it had shrunk by over half its length since I'd read about it (er, admittedly a week or two before!). Once we found it we had a great time and spent a few hours lapping the remaining snow, eventually skiing it into a piste-like condition. As you may see from the following photo of the said patch, we're fairly easily pleased Very Happy !

OK YOU OFFICIALLY WIN!!! YOU ARE HARDCORE (or a fool Happy ) I BOW DOWN AND PAY HOMAGE!!

I bet any frenchies are wetting themselves laughing at that photo, whilst looking at their glaciers!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby, Perhaps 'REET BONKERS' would be a better name Happy
ski holidays
Not yet please!! We're still waiting for summer to start out here Shocked
latest report
Thanks for all your compliments folks Very Happy !
Quote:
Wouldn't it have been easier to go to an indoor slope
Yes, but we made a camping weekend of it and had a great mountain bike ride in the Cairngorms as well. And, of course, a hike in the mountains beats any indoor fridge!
Quote:
you really must join the Lake District ski club, if not already members ? You are both perfect material
It's been on our 'To do' list for a while Peter S - we keep finding ourselves at Yad Moss and Weardale as they are both a fair bit nearer for us. Hopefully 2014-15 will be our debut season!
Quote:
'REET BONKERS' would be a better name
Surely it's all subjective PaulC1984! One man's 'bonkers' is another man's 'normal' - aka a cracking day out on snow for me and Mrs MA Laughing - as further illustrated below:

ski holidays
I admire your dedication - and looks like you're having fun Happy
ski holidays
^ I have genuine bad dreams about conditions like that!
snow report
I am just jellous, this is my frist summer in a decade with no skiing, and it turns out to be one of the best in a decade.

a little summer skiing light humor - just below the top of Monta Rosa
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy