Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any British Pisteurs out there?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear All,

Just wondering if there are any British Pisteurs out there who could offer information and advice about how to become a pisteur in France.

As I understand it there is a selection process that happens somewhere in the alps every year where prospective pisteurs are assessed on their skiing down a marked area of off piste terrain. Second to that I understand there is a course which is run in Chamonix which must be passed. Further than that I am unsure how the process works.

Perhaps it will be something I would need to look into further once I am back in resort but if there is anyone out there who can shed any light on the topic I would be really grateful.

Cheers!

Sam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sjb1989, There is a fairly senior pisteur in Tignes who is British.

The requirements are on the ENSA website.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sjb1989, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Don't know about British ones, but I spent an interesting few hours with a French pisteur last winter (a new tourist facility - open to all and well worth it). I was extremely impressed by the dedication and professionalism of the team. Between them they have a fair few language skills though absolutely fluent French, including complex radio comms with doctors about injuries, would be a primary requirement. And obviously they are all very strong skiers, as well as strong people generally to help with evacuations and rescues. I love the way the pisteurs ski - without poles, obviously, always so poised and relaxed.

In my area (Espace Diamant) they are practically all locals, apparently, but he said that there were a lot more non-locals in the big Tarentaise resorts.

Bonne chance. I imagine that getting on to the training course is highly competitive. The guy I "shadowed" was also a qualified "artificier" though he didn't chuck any explosives around when I was with him.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Way back in the day it was said that the local pupils who sat attentively at the front, learning well became ski instructors, the ones in the middle carried on farming while the ones causing trouble at the back became pisteurs.

A friend was one and they all have legendary ski capabilities. He had done his national service in the Chausseurs Alpin.

Not, sjb1989, that its an impossible goal. I know of one Brit pisteur in training. But there aren't so many of them... If you look at the ENSA site, pre requisites are a first aid certificate which will almost certainly only me set in French and the Fleche Vermeille.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I knew a girl who went thro the system.
She passed but was told that they wouldn't employ a girl.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Neil Wilson is an English (well Geordie wink ) pisteur at Les Deux Alpes and has been for many years, not sure exactly how many but he's been out there almost 20 years. If you wanted to contact him I could point you in his direction.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
I knew a girl who went thro the system.
She passed but was told that they wouldn't employ a girl.

Shared a lift up from Champagny with a very nice young lady who was a pisteur there Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
Neil Wilson is an English (well Geordie wink ) pisteur at Les Deux Alpes and has been for many years, not sure exactly how many but he's been out there almost 20 years. If you wanted to contact him I could point you in his direction.

Claude B, if you could point me in his direction I would be incredibly grateful! It woudl be good to chat to a Brit who has gone through the system!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sjb1989, Best bet is to drop an email to http://www.sasles2alpes.com/Index.html (company run by his wife with his help).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sjb1989, just bear in mind that the system 20 years ago will probably not be the system today...

Jbob, I've met quite a few pisteuses.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sjb1989 The lad who does the pisting at Yad Moss in the Pennines is a bit of a whizz. (They have a proper piste basher!)
I've heard that he is so fanatical that he has been known to give up ski time in the Alps to go out with the pisteurs Very Happy. He might give you some pointers?!

You could try e mailing Yad Moss?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Once you're qualified as a pisteur work isn't guaranteed. Each area maintains a list and hire downwards. You only move up it (1) if your family are connected or (2) if someone retires or gets injured.

A good friend (French, mountain local) managed to get one and a half seasons as he replaced injured people. He has since given up to do other things as having a mortgage and young child made such employment uncertainty too risky.

Another friend (also a French mountain local) qualified and went straight into work, he's now on his third season. His dad is the chief pisteur.

Good luck, but be aware how things work in the French alps.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sjb1989,

First things first. Are you fluent in French?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The team leader of the young guy I went out with was a woman, and so was another team member.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy