Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - new lifts/pistes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - I was reading about the proposed changes to Val Thorens over the summer and thought I'd share Smile

Definitely happening
- The Portette chairlift is to be replaced by a newer, faster chairlift. The start of the lift is also going to move to be much lower down (closer to the Moraine lift), so that it gets more of the through traffic from Chalet du Thorens.
- The Plan de l' Eau chair (in the Boismint area) is also to be replaced with a newer lift which will be longer and go higher than the current one

Might happen, but might not
- SETAM are looking to create a new piste which will branch off from the bottom of Pluviometre, take a bridge over the main road, to get to Pont de la Chasse and the new Plan de l' Eau chair.

Probably won't happen until next year
- There's talk of a provisional plan to develop the area known as le Borgne above the Folie Douce, and this is where the old Portette chair may be placed.

Apologies if this is old news but I thought there may be a few people who might be interested Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip, Thanks for posting. Seems quiet on the new runs above the Folie Douce.

The branch off from Pluviomere sounds interesting, but is that bridge already there or will have to be built? On the piste map it looks like a quite a distance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tom W, I was probably be a bit optimistic on the Le Borgne development, it's more likely that it's a definite for development next summer rather than this one.

My assumption on Pluviometre was that they'd have to build a new bridge (I don't think any of the tunnels going into Val Thorens could be utilised), it'd be a lot of development work but that's the only way I could see them doing it. Like you say, it looks a very long distance!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip, I think it is still quite amazing nowadays for a resort this size to try to open up new areas and pistes. As VT try now with Le Borgne or with this new cable car that opened 2 or 3 years ago above Portette chair. Keep it up Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like the idea of a run that goes on from Pluviometre as it will as said a very long run but will get lots of sun late in the season but with an upgraded to Plan d''Eau create a quieter route into central VT rather than through the "ring road" route. Also more runs on the Plein Sud side would be good as that's nice and high
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Completely agree Tom W stevew, I've only started skiing VT over the last few years but even in that short space of time I've been really impressed at how much they look to develop the resort runs/lifts every single year - and as you mention, the addition of the Thorens cable car (and Chocard & Asters runs) are great examples of this. And while the zip wire isn't really my thing, it's another good example of how they're constantly looking to invest.

I've often looked at the area above LaFolie Douce and thought it had potential so it's great that it's something their looking to develop over the next 18mths. I also wouldn't be suprised if they looked to develop the Orelle area a bit more in a few years - the Glacier du Bouchet area seems to have potential (although I know it's popular with off-pisters so maybe they'd want to keep it that way).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy