Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting my own boots

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so a season in the alps beckons. I have accommodation sorted, now for some kit. Where do people think the best places to acquire boots, skis, etc? I've got my clothing, just need hardware really. One thing, I am on a budget, so deals are the way forward. Any little gold spots or am I better going to the big boys in their off season? Grateful for any help as could save me some serious cash. Cheers guys and girls!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll pick up some bargins on the high street at the moment but don't expect to have the pick of a huge range. Stock will be thin on the ground until the season gets a bit closer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edge&Wax have a clearance sale on at the minute with an extra 15% off some sale kit, just spotted it this morning - http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/
Give them a call for some advice, really friendly people and highly regarded on snowheads.
Annoyingly Glissshop had a good sale that ended yesterday, but might do something again before the season starts.

Boots - always best to go to a proper bootfitter, especially if you'll be on them all season. The last thing you want is to be struggling with painful feet every time you go out on the hill - it'll ruin your season. And paying for extra repairs in resort can be expensive and a very annoying dent in your season budget.

CEM on here is worth PMing to ask about boots/fitting.

P.S. Where are you heading to?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do agree with fixx but if you are determined to self-fit, the decathlon are super cheap for boots and unlike the internet stores you can at least try them on.....

Where are you? Less cheap but still bargain-us in the sales would be:
http://www.finchesemporium.com/
http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/

aj
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gillie,

If you have never had your own boots then you really need to go to a shop with staff who know what they are talking about.

As you are on a budget I would suggest either the small adds here on Snowheads or fleebay for the skis. If you are going for a season and only ever used hire skis why not get a few different pairs cheap ie a race skis an all mountain pair and off-piste. you will encounter pretty much the full range of conditions in a season plus if you wreck a pair you have others to still play with.

The money saved from buying secondhand skis could be put towards getting properly fitted boots, you can not skimp on the price for good fitting boots for the level you are.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RAB,
Unless you know what you are doing, and that means biomechanics, you should always get your leg and foot assessed by a trained expert, who is more than good boot fitter.
You cannot go wrong if you see Colin at Solutions4feet in Bicester.
I speak as a former boot fitter and ski teacher.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gillie, unless you consider yourself to have 'weird' feet i'd wait until you are in resort.
Find the owners or managers and see what happens.
That way you have continued support through your season, you also strike up a relationship with a shop as soon as you arrive (which will be nothing but a good thing later on...)
If you arrive early enough you may also benefit from some great deals on last season's range.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, should have been clearer. I own my own kit, but its not good enough to get me through a season. So ive ordered a few pairs of boots from various sources to try on and send back the ones that don't fit correctly. One of the stores asked if I wanted any footbeds. I have done a bit of research and called a good place in London, but they wanted too much money for an appointment, so again I'll source them myself. Any ideas? Should I just order a load, try and send them back? What makes are recommended?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gillie, footbeds are mostly considered a very good idea generally, but really need to be custom fitted to make them most helpful. It's not generally an at home job. That said, I didn't have any for the 1st 20 years skiing. That also said, probably many of my boots didn't fit properly.

Often, the custom moulding is included in the purchase price of custom moulded ones.

And often the whole process is included in the price of the boots + footbeds.

The other big problem is that what you want are boots that fit, not necessarily boots that are comfortable for 30 minutes walking around your living room. I'd expect boots that meet the living room test are not going to met the ski fit test...

YMMV. I do not have average feet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gillie, I realize this will not sound helpful at all, but if it were me, id rather skip a ski holiday and have CEM (Colin) fit me a decent set of boots, than spend the next 10 years in pain, out of control and skiing Sh*t because my boots don't fit. Boots are your connection between you and the snow, they do all the work.

boots that don't fit are like having a steering wheel, brakes and tyres made of jelly and seeing a large tree getting ever closer!!

Aside from lack of control, comfort, preventing good technique, a poor boot will without doubt at some point cause you an injury

You also say you are looking for skis - forget it! Spend the money on a decent foot bed and boot fitter!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to admit, going to a decent boot fitter revolutionised both my skiing ability and my comfort. Seeing as I got about 30 - 35 weeks of skiing out of my previous pair then it worked out fairly cheap. And my current pair with custom foam liners are even better. What you won't have is the in depth knowledge of the various boot profiles and volumes which may suit your feet. Unless you want to try on 30 to 40 models from many manufacturers you are likely to be missing out on a boot that suits you much better.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 5-08-14 17:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But... knowing what I do now I would be happy sizing up a boot myself for just pottering about or if I started teaching. The same goes for touring boots.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984 wrote:
gillie, I realize this will not sound helpful at all, but if it were me, id rather skip a ski holiday and have CEM (Colin) fit me a decent set of boots, than spend the next 10 years in pain, out of control and skiing Sh*t because my boots don't fit. Boots are your connection between you and the snow, they do all the work.....

+1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
gillie, I realize this will not sound helpful at all, but if it were me, id rather skip a ski holiday and have CEM (Colin) fit me a decent set of boots, than spend the next 10 years in pain, out of control and skiing Sh*t because my boots don't fit. Boots are your connection between you and the snow, they do all the work.....

+1

10 years!

That's the problem.... you have to wait 10 years until you can afford a new pair!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, One ski holiday = £400+ = 1 Pair of well fitted boots??
ski holidays
That place in london was profeet? Heinously expensive, most places are massively cheaper - try the two I linked to - they can get close to many online prices.
ski holidays
gillie, lotsof good advice above but if you are determined to do this DIY then as you asked about footbeds, for an off the shelf option you could do worse than get a Superfeet Blue footbed.
snow report
Neat method of heat-moulding intuition liners here which sounds wacko, but does actually work (and you get to eat the rice afterwards too Toofy Grin )
https://intuitionliners.com/fitting/home-fitting-instructions/ - (I made the toe-cap from some neoprene from an old wetsuit)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy