Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best helmet opinions.... advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, after skiing for 3 years, both me and the mrs are planning on buying our first ski helmets this year, but just wondered what peoples opinions or experiences were like with some I'm considering.

Have been looking at Salomon Phantom, Prophet and Icon models, all with the custom air feature. Has anyone used this custom air, is it better than the normal wheel tightening that most other helmets use?

Also Atomic Mentor, Nomad or Affinity models, all with the Live Fit feature. Apparently this is like a memory foam that instantly moulds to the shape of your head, but is also made of something called Poron XRD foam - from what I've read it acts with a non-Newtonian property, being soft and supple, but instantly becoming rigid when it receives a sharp impact. This sounds quite good, but again has anyone got any experience or opinion on this?

Then I'm also considering the Smith Vantage, which has a unique (not seen any other helmets with it) construction of aerocore material, like loads of little tubes stood on end which is supposed to be better than conventional foams, though is the most expensive of the bunch.

I'm also confused about the different foams.......EPS, ABS, Hard Shell, In-Mould.....?? whats is generally regarded as the best construction?

With regards to use (if it matters), we are both intermediate level skiers, and strictly piste only, no off piste or snowpark stunts for us!!

Thanks peeps Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Above anything, the best helmet is one that fits! And also fits the shape of your goggles as having a gap between your helmet and goggles (other than looking a little silly) can make your forehead pretty painful, so take your goggles when you go and try a few different helmets on.

I don't think you'll go wrong if you go for a Giro, Salomon, Smith, Atomic etc.. There are probably excellent helmets available from less known brands too, so don't discount them. I have a Giro Surface S and am very happy with it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fit is the most important factor. My helmet is a Salomon Ranger Custom Air and while pumping up the air bags does improve the fit I don't always use it, the basic fit is near enough perfect for me. Some other brands, notably Giro, just don't seem to fit my head at all, so trying them on is the only way to get the right one.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As others have said you need to try them on. hard shell such as the POC or Sweet protection and others are some other brands you may want to look at and they are hardshell ie not like a cycle helmet which after even a small knock needs to be replaced for safety reasons. Another thing to consider is the newer MIPS technology most good makes will have models with this technology.

You get what you pay for and your noggin is worth a hell of a lot more than even the dearest helmet, but the most expensive if it does not fit correctly is worthless as well as useless.

The models you have listed are good I was looking at the Salomon myself but after further research into safety and trying models on for fit decided on either POC or Sweet Protection and I am picking up a Sweet helmet this week.

You will get some good prices now but stock can be limited took me well over a month searching and trying on different helmets due to low stock levels before settling on the Sweet. So don't rush it take the time and make sure what you buy fits you also your goggles are not really important concentrate on the helmet and change the goggles afterwards to fit better with the helmet, if they don't fit ie leave a gap.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr bee, I think you are over-thinking this. Recent helmet threads have made the point that, broadly speaking, the level of protection is identical regardless of whether it is a £20 helmet or a £200 helmet. They all have to pass the same safety standards and nearly all contain the same foam within. Some manufacturers have tried to innovate and thereby add value but I don't think there's much evidence that any particular model really offers a greater degree of protection. IMO there are three questions:
1. Does it fit comfortably?
2. Does it work reasonably well with your goggles? Some helmets will crush the goggles down onto your nose.
3. How daft does it look. E.g. RUROC
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Mr bee, I think you are over-thinking this. Recent helmet threads have made the point that, broadly speaking, the level of protection is identical regardless of whether it is a £20 helmet or a £200 helmet.

No they haven't, they simply made the point that they have to pass the same tests. However the tests really aren't all that great, and personally I'll stick to my Sweet helmet that was designed to exceed rather than just meet the test requirements.

I built my trust in Sweet after hitting my hard hard on quite a few rocks whilst kayaking on shallow Scottish creeks, and doubt I'll ever switch to another brand (this also applies to 90% of whitewater kayakers btw; Sweet dominates the market). Of course, you're WAY less likely to hit your head like that piste skiing, and I'm not about to tell anyone that they really need that extra protection... But as the OP asked, Sweet are the best IMHO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats great, thanks for the replies I kind of knew I'd obviously have to try them and see how they fit, but thats half the problem, finding somewhere that stocks the different brands and models I like the look of.

I'm gonna wait until the new season stock is in the shops to purchase, and I expect between Ellis Brigham and Snow + Rock (the shops that are near me that I know of) I should be able to find most Atomic and Salomon models to try on. Its just the Smith that only seems to be sold by online stores, so is a problem with trying on.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy an Atomic say, and then everyone be like "ooh no, they're no good at helmets" or if there was a general consensus of the custom air being rubbish or anything, but it sounds like they're all of a generally good opinion. Chose them really as they have ones I like the look of and previous brand experience, as I have Atomic boots and a few bits of Salomon skiwear and have always been impressed by them, but will have a look into other brands mentioned here.

Never heard of this MIPS, will look into that too. Just need to wait for the shops to start getting stock in now so I can do some trying on Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why wait. Most places will have a sale on now. Is your head going to change size between now and then? Wink

I agree difficult to find stock. I looked online for mine then went to try some on at the shop (snow and rock) to not find the one I had found online. In the end I tried on lots of different one but eventually found one that fitted properly with goggles (take them with you when you go).

Its white, which I didn't want as it doesn't match my other stuff, but I have since upgraded the helmet with all important snowheads stickers and I now feel safe enough to go out and not get laughed at for having a helmet that doesn't match Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, as clarky999, says just because all meet the std does not mean they are the same some will only just pass and some will pass very easily but equally price does not dictate just how good a particular helmet or brand of helmet is.So personal recommendations re quality and safety are worth seeking out.

Mr bee, Sent you a PM re the Sweet helmets also Snow and Rock sell the POC helmets so you could try on for size there and buy online many are at half price.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
speed098, clarky999, I agree that the tests are a minimum, but I seem to remember a SH who worked in the helmet industry making the point that nearly all contain the same thickness of the same type of foam. The hard shell is basically there to protect the foam.

I'm not sure that personal recommendations re safety are particularly instructive. You need some standard tests.

I just watched a video demonstrating the effectiveness oh Poron XD in which people dropped bowling balls onto various materials positioned on a breeze block. Utterly daft test proving nothing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there are tow main types of foam used EPS ( extruded Polystyrene ) and EPP ( expanded polypropylene ).

POC's website

http://www.pocsports.com/en/content/view/protective-concepts

Gives a bit of info on the different types of helmet construction.

foxtrotzulu, Maybe the word personal was wrong, sorry, I was trying to say from recommendations by people using the helmets who have had to rely on the helmets safety features, or who personally know people who have, and as a result received lesser or no injury due to the helmet or where the helmet was pretty much useless and did not help.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As others have said, how they fit is just about the most important thing. I'm lucky in that there are plenty of local shops that I could try out countless Giro, Salomon, Bern, Poc, Sweet, etc, helmets until I found a Smith that fitted absolutely perfectly. Others would find the other brands were right for them.

I would however check out what the ventilation is and if it is possible to vary this....my Smith helmet has two levers which open and close the front and rear vents, a godsend on hot and cold days and makes a difference between a sweaty or warm head as conditions dictate
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
speed098, Don't worry, I knew what you meant about personal recommendations, but my point was that unless you can recreate an identical accident wearing different helmets and find a relatively objective way of measuring the results then it doesn't tell you much. We've all heard people say 'that helmet was rubbish. Just a small knock and the helmet split in two' ignoring the fact that it was meant to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agreed foxtrotzulu, and you here the same about the tests. most do a static drop test so only one type of impact, though I have heard one or two are doing a glancing blow test now as well as the static drop.

Fit is the most important factor in any helmet purchase, I spent about a month trying to find and try on sweet helmets plus POC and most other brands till I decided on Sweet I could not try on the Rooster helmet as nobody had it in stock so made as many measurements as possible. Picked it up today and without any fit pads being used fits like a glove snowHead

I spoke to Sweet in Norway and suggested they could have a fitting device similar to the one that Osprey rucksacks use to measure back length to make sure you get the correct size sack. I think this is something every helmet manufacturer should provide in each shop as it is very simple and cheap to manufacture and use.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Sweet Protection assuming its fits. I wear a Trooper and its an incredible helmet for weight and safety - like others here I am also a kayaker!
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

I ended up buying a Smith Vantage from amazon -on sale at £60 so a bit of a bargain, fits nicely, very snug. I measured my head at about 54cm, and the Vantage I got is a size small (51-55cm); on loosest setting it is snug but there is a bit of movement if a move it with my hands. Literally 2 or 3 clicks tighter on the boa adjuster and it grips my scalp if I try and rotate the helmet.

My wife also ordered an Atomic Mentor LFW as she tried one on in the local Ellis Brigham and it fits well, but again we got it on sale online from Snow + Rock for about £70. The sizing on hers (size S) has a range of 51-56cm.

Hopefully my wifes will be delivered soon for me to test, as I want to make sure that extra cm (55 to 56) in size doesn't feel better, if it does I've still got 20 days to return my Smith to amazon.
I am gonna try and wear my helmet indoors for a few hours over the next few days to make sure its not too tight that it gives my headache. Ive never had any sort of helmet before so don't know how tight they're supposed to fit, but having it on for 10 minutes or so so far it's not uncomfortably tight, and I'm very pleased with the feel and the quality of it too.
snow report
Mr bee, They should grip you, but not feel like a medieval torture band Toofy Grin Sounds like yours is fine, I don't even notice my lid now, but find that they are much more comfortable than hats when skiing in bad weather.
ski holidays
That's the same helmet as I have and the moveable air vents as I mentioned above are fantastic. Thankfully I can't comment on how good it is for impacts, but it ticks all the right boxes in terms of standards.

My helmet fits like a glove......so it's snug but I don't have any pressure points and I barely feel like I'm wearing it after a minute or two as it.....if you do feel discomfort I would certainly consider returning it and going for a larger size.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, Whats wrong with Ruroc - I love mine Happy - Ok so its one of those helmets you daren't fall over wearing as you'll look a total phallus - I even had it sprayed up so everyone remembers what a douche i am when I do fall over (https://www.facebook.com/ruroc/photos/pb.171543529556284.-2207520000.1407175238./706445672732731/?type=3&theater). Do I care - nope I love mine for fit (best I have worn), protection and style. I realize they are marmite for some. We all have our likes / dislikes with helmets - i think this lot look ridiculous, but I'm sure many on here use them and that is absolutely fine - we all have our own preference and all have different needs

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/10815360983669901141?q=ski+helmets&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.72185853,bs.1,d.ZWU,pv.xjs.s.en.Le7zjg0YyPc.O&ion=1&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=600&tch=1&ech=1&psi=h8ffU6HmMIGxPOSpgLgF.1407174537775.7&sa=X&ei=l8ffU5mRD8b17Ab28IDABA&ved=0CIUCEPMCMAk4FA

http://www.millets.co.uk/skiing/033152-sinner-crystal-ski-helmet-black.html/717763/&cm_mmc=googleshop-_-shopping-_-feed-_-all?mkwid=EdagwkaT_dc&pcrid=44176981117&gclid=CIbtt-CV-r8CFU_JtAodlkYAVQ

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/11256203895221746417?q=ski+helmets&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.72185853,bs.1,d.ZWU,pv.xjs.s.en.Le7zjg0YyPc.O&ion=1&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=600&tch=1&ech=1&psi=h8ffU6HmMIGxPOSpgLgF.1407174537775.11&sa=X&ei=sMffU-WgJO-h7AaZ1oHQBA&ved=0COMCEPMCMBA4PA

http://www.onpole.com/dirty-dog-apache-ski-helmet-with-visor-shiny-black.html?gclid=CJO7qvCV-r8CFVMRtAodxxUASA

Its all about Fit first, protection second and style / personal choice third (or first depending how important style is to you! -although if you are looking for style over substance, beat yourself with a stick and move promptly back to fit and protection first!)
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Its all about Fit first, protection second and style / personal choice third (or first depending how important style is to you! -although if you are looking for style over substance, beat yourself with a stick and move promptly back to fit and protection first!)

Ok, but if that was true, presumably you'd be using a proper full-face helmet rather than the Ruroc stuff - that chin guard isn't designed for crashes. So I don't think your analysis matches your behaviour there.

You should at least be riding MIPS - it's either about safety or it's not.
ski holidays
philwig, Agreed, but i didnt buy it for the full face protection in terms of impact, I have my poc race helmet for that which doesn't have MIPS, yet there back country ones do (makes me wonder why). Now Im not saying that MIPS is a load of rubbish (far from it) I do wonder how much effect it does have. I think only 4 ski helmet manufacturers use it - it seems mainly to be used in biking, baseball, etc and those helmets have decidedly less protection than even your average ski helmet and so any testing of MIPS will have a vast improvement. I like the FF on the ruroc to keep the wind off my face without having to wear a face wind mask that gets wet and cold.
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
I have my poc race helmet for that which doesn't have MIPS, yet there back country ones do (makes me wonder why)

Probably to do with compliance with racing standards, which I think have quite a lot to say about helmet design. I note Poc have a full face helmet with MIPS (is that new?) so there's no obvious engineering reason that would stop them. Also, different hazards perhaps: you're a bit less likely to hit a tree or a rock when racing.

PaulC1984 wrote:
Now Im not saying that MIPS is a load of rubbish (far from it) I do wonder how much effect it does have.

It'll have maximum effect when your head hits a high friction surface, which is a lot less common when skiing than when cycling. MIPS on bike helmets is a lot more of a 'no brainer' (and a fair bit easier to implement, too... its done quite differently to the way it is done in ski helmets).

PaulC1984 wrote:
and those helmets have decidedly less protection than even your average ski helmet.

Different, rather than less.

Comparison of ASTM standards: http://www.helmets.org/stdcompsum.pdf

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 4-08-14 20:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Serriadh, Agree with all of that
snow report
PaulC1984, Paul, you're welcome to wear whatever you want. You have the sense, and sense of humour, to recognise the 'comedy' aspect of the Ruroc and love it all the more because of it. That's great! Vive la difference!
snow report
foxtrotzulu, Toofy Grin I could get on with you quite well, but less of the french, I couldn't possibly be associated with them........ except for when I use there wonderful hospitality, wine, bread, mountains, skis, boots - actually I guess our neighbors are not all that bad Toofy Grin. Actually its those scots you need to watch out for - they have one film made with the word FREEDOM in it, and they are trying to steel our country ppffftt Toofy Grin (time to duck and run Very Happy)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy