Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for Austria holiday...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok, I've made the big mistake of offering to arrange a ski trip next year for someone's Xmas pressie!! Shocked

I'm thinking of somewhere in Austria, simply because I haven't been there in over 10 years and would like to try it out again.

I'm taking a group of complete beginners and we're all still young and lively.

I don't want to go HB because every time I have the food's been a bit poor and basically I enjoy going out into the town to see what's out there and experience the nightlife.

Mayrhofen springs to mind but the accomodation through the usual channels (thomson, neilson, inghams) seems a bit limited.

So, has anyone got any other suggestions as to resorts and accomodation?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zell am Zee ( see another recent thread on this ) is very good in terms of the nightlife and the skiing is mainly gearing for beginners to intermediates.

The other one in Austria that I have been to and might suit is Bad Gastein ( I am going there again this season ) - the skiing is vary varied and extensive on five areas two of which are accessed by 1/2 hour bus. If you are interested I can recommend an excellent and not too pricey 4 star hotel ( please PM me ) on half board and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with. BG is not as lively as Zell am Zell but it does have its fair share of restaurants and night clubs. It is only one hour by train from Salzburg. If there are any non - skiers in your group it has truly excellent scenic walks in the Hohe Tauren mountains and as I said Salzburg is only one hour away by excellent train service from BG with the opportunity of sight-seeing on a day off skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zippy, Mayrhofen would be a good choice. The Hotel Neuhaus (4 Star) does fantastic food (4 courses and usually a dessert buffet) and also has good leisure facilties, it's near the train station and bus stop so you can access all the resorts covered on the lift pass easily. It isn't too expensive either considering the standard offered. Mayrhofen also has good ski schools and this hotel is about a 5-10 min walk from the main lift or 1 minute walk to the free bus.

Zell am Zee would also be good for beginners and is in a similar price bracket to Mayrhofen. The town is also reasonably large, so if you were really against going half board so you'll have a good choice of restaurants.

If you stick to 4 star then you'll get good food.

Both resorts have awesome scenery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, thanks for that. Will take a look at both and PM you once I know what we're doing...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Solden - Hotel Birkenhof food was excellent, as was the nightlife.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry hibernia, but I don't agree. I rate Bad Gastein for almost everything but beginners. Much as I liked BadG there are plenty of better places for a group of beginners in Austria. The main beginners' area at Angertal can only be accessed by bus from Bad Hofgastein, which means getting the bus from Bad Gastein proper and then changing. All a bit of a pain in the derriere.

For a group of novices somewhere in the Ski Welt (Westendorf, Ellmau etc) or St Johan in Tyrol might be a better bet. If you do go to the Gastein valley zippy, stay in Bad Hofgastein near the easiest skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zippy, Depends what sort of nightlife you want. If you want genuine Austrian bar type, then try Steinach. Small resort, good for beginners and very friendly. Plenty of snowmaking and no TOs AFAIK. Only about 45 mins from Innsbruck airport too. You can stay in tyhe Pension Heini Messner with the great man (who also happens to own the ski school). I had a great time there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Zippy myself and 5 other friends are going to soll in Jan so if u can wait that long for a report back i would gladly let you know. from what we have been reading its seems to be a lively place. so when we get back i'll give you the run down ok
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zippy, Hi Skippy - my recommendation is the SKI WELT AREA which includes Soll, Scheffau, Ellmau, and Going.
This is one of the largest "Ski-Circuses" in Austria. Have a look at their website. The range of ski-ing is terrific. My personal experience is the Hotel St. Christophe in Ellmau, which in within walking access to the "Ski-Welt" via the HartKaiserbahn mountain railway. If they still have space for a group this is an ideal hotel. In the past the British Airways Ski Club have been here frequently. We are booked in for 2007 for a reunion trip for a third time of asking.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Westerndof should suit you needs..

Second the Ski Welt with Soll to the fore...
and Saalbach....all should offer a typical Austrian hol of lively apre, tyrolean type ambience and good skiing ..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zippy, Hi Soll would suit you. Book flights to Munich, Train to Kufstein, taxi Soll. About 5 hours in total for me, but I live in west london near heathrow.As for Accomodation try The Manorhaus (www.manorhaus-apartments.com) bad web site but good apartments. I will be there this time next week, so I am getting ready as I post this. Clive ps Give them a ring the people that own it are Brits
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. Now i've got to hope that the snow holds up until the 2nd week in MArch!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For Austria please look at Villa Talheim Holiday Apartments in Mallnitz Austria. Flight are cheap to either Klagenfurt or Salzburg, the accommodation is suitable for groups of between 2 - 13 people, in one of the 4 spacios apartments. The apartments are ten minutes from the slopes, havs a great snow record and has all the facilities you need.
This can be on a self catering or B&B or HB Basis!

Best things is to look at villa-talheim.com or contact me jessportsmouth@yahoo.co.uk - we can help with eveything from ski passes to transfers!

Jess
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy