Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ghost Stories

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all - been away for a while and wanted to stop by to say hello in case anyone's free for a natter...

I'm working on fun/daft ideas that are a bit tangential to ski/board travel, and totally stuck on this one question, so I thought I'd put it out there:

Question Are there any ski resort ghost stories/hauntings or any scary story at all here in Europe? Question

As you might expect, there are several in the USA where they really go in for that sort of thing but... I can't find anything at all in Europe.
Are we not haunted here, or just don't have any truck with that sort of thing?

What do you think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As we have such a fine selection of real truly horrifying things which have happened in Europe, those tend to supplant any local mythos.

Although... Back before skiing and mountaineering were popular, pretty much every peak in the Alps was said to be haunted by daemons, dragons or monsters.
And isn't there stories about hauntings up in the mountains where the Italians and Austrians fought during the WW1 bringing avalanches down on each other, IIRC 10,000 men died on just one day in December 1916, by avalanches in the Dolomites. There was something like a million dead and more than double that wounded in the eastern Alps during the conflict.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no such thing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sno,

Check out the Trychelwochhe in Hasliberg. They spend a whole week chasing evil spirits away (and walking between bars/hotels keeping hydrated).

http://youtube.com/v/caBhictHbWg

They do it all day, they do it all night ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks musher - it looks a bit like the thing they do to scare kids to death in St Anton - perfect!

Richard that's great - well, not great... great info
I might do better searching for alpine mythology than paranormal

blahblahblah, yes that's pretty much my take... maybe Europeans have enough gruesome history to not bother inventing it...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't met the Krampus. We don't get one in Seefeld Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sno wrote:
thanks musher - it looks a bit like the thing they do to scare kids to death in St Anton - perfect!

Don't they have scary Dutch Trolls living there which scare the children too?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can tell you some real shocking horror stories that involve Spirits, but I don´t think they are the kind of Spirits you mean Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sno, if you've never seen it, go find yourself a copy of Troll Hunter to watch. I found it a nice modern European take on the mythic monster horror.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This may not be 100% accurate as i can't exactly remember what i read last year

The mer de Glace used to be called Glacier des Bois - named after the hamlet at the end of the glacial valley. Further up the valley there was a small village called Bonanay.

In the 1640's it is believed by some that an old travelling gypsy woman, starving and in need of help approached the village of Bonanay seeking their aid. She sought food and safe shelter, and in reutrn she would never ask of anything from the villagers again. The villagers of Bonanay refused her their help and asked that she returned where she came from, she did as the villagers asked, she left the village and returned to the Mountains - none of the villagers saw her again. Seeking her revenge on the villagers, the old gypsy woman sent the glacier to descend the mountain, and the Village of Bonanay was lost to the glacier. The glacier continued to descend the mountain and even began to threaten the Hamlet des Bois, priests were summoned to the hamlet to dispell the spirit of the Gypsy, soon after the Glacier des bois began receeding.

Pretty cool ay!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow - I love that Insiders - I know a Brit-gone-native who works in Compagnie du Mont Blanc, so I'll ask if any of his French colleagues know that gypsy curse story.

Richard, Troll Hunter is now on my LoveFilm request list!

I wonder if there are any stories surrounding contemporary snowsports or mtn guide people or personalities. Wasn't it Doug Coombes who famously died skiing La Grave for instance? I remember putting a cool film preview with Glen Plake et al on our blog 3 or 4 years ago about Trevor Peterson who's son wanted to ski the place his dad died in Chamonix...
... all a bit gruesome and sad though...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's one about a tall monk with a lantern who would lead people to the St. Bernard hospice in blizzards, and who'd disappear back into the snow looking for more lost souls when they get within site of the monastery.

Of course, these days he'd be arrested for not being an approved guide, so you probably won't see him anymore...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
... he should take the ESF speed test... that would prove he's safe to do his bit of hosting back to the chalet...

Maybe I should do a piece on "horrific" ski holiday accom... we've got about 1500 reviews from last winter and there are one or two we won't be recommending next season...

Richard, do you have a link to anything on that St Bernard story?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sno, I think I heard it on TV - might even have been on one of those Ski Sunday segments, or could have been on one of the ski travelogue shows on one of the sports channels...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sno wrote:
Wow - I love that Insiders - I know a Brit-gone-native who works in Compagnie du Mont Blanc, so I'll ask if any of his French colleagues know that gypsy curse story.

Richard, Troll Hunter is now on my LoveFilm request list!

I wonder if there are any stories surrounding contemporary snowsports or mtn guide people or personalities. Wasn't it Doug Coombes who famously died skiing La Grave for instance? I remember putting a cool film preview with Glen Plake et al on our blog 3 or 4 years ago about Trevor Peterson who's son wanted to ski the place his dad died in Chamonix...
... all a bit gruesome and sad though...

Sno, your first film - concerning the death of Doug Coombes is Steep and the second is The Edge of Never.
snow report
There's a thing about witches in and around the Skiwelt area. Not sure how much of this is tourist related rather than genuine legend though.
latest report
Got another one for you Sno, from the early chapters in the book Slaying Dragons, The conquest of the Alps.

Quote:
Representative of the rumours [of haunted mountains] is Pilatus, a mountain near Lucerne, that held a pond full of biblical terror. According to legend, Pontius Pilate had committed suicide rather than face the prospect of death at the hands of Emperor Tiberius. His body was weighed down with stones and hurled into the Tiber. The result was a bout of the most atrocious weather the Romans had ever seen. He was hastily recovered and taken to Vienne - in a show of contempt for its inhabitants - where he was thrown into the Rhone. Further storms and tempests ensued, so he was fished out once again and thrown into the waters at Lausanne. Here, too, Pilate worked his malevolence so he was salvaged for a third time and dumped into a lake on the mountain where his storms could do no harm. It is said that every Good Friday, the body of Pilate rises from the waters of the lake and washes its hands.
ski holidays
Note quite a ghost, but there is also the Tatzelwurm (tunnel worm).
A couple of links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatzelwurm

http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Tatzelwurm
snow conditions
randyw, I live between two well-known Tatzelwurms - the Tatzelwurm linking the Inntal with Bayerischerzell and the Tatzelwurm that lives frozen/imprisoned/ under a magic spell beneath the Kampenwand. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Immature Tatzel worm spotted in the Arreschlucht last week

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy