Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas ski-child free for first time, resort and accommodation recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mr P, much to my delight, mused last night about going away for Christmas as his boys will be on different continents -one in Oz and the other-L (hopefully)-working as a ski instructor in the USA. This would be Mr P's first Christmas away from home since before they were born and hitherto he has been very resistant to the idea of being away at all.
It goes without saying that this will be a ski trip.

We can't go on a standard package from the weekend before unfortunately and at best will be free by the evening of 23rd December. Once away, the chances are we will ski into the New year, maybe moving on after Christmas.
Requirements probably involve the following:
Good skiing, for advanced skiers, reasonably high with some off piste if early season allows. Am thinking Alps rather than further afield as, with any luck later in the season we would plan to head to the US to see L.
Nice resort with Alpine charm. No need for loud nightlife. Good quality accommodation, maybe a hot tub? LI think we would like somewhere with a good opportunity to meet others rather than holing up in a self catered apartment, so small boutique hotel or an upper end chalet. Happy to drive there. Not keen on low resorts that require a cable car to get to to the bottom of the slopes.
We're very familiar with the 3V, Grand Massif, the Tarantaise valley pretty much. Much as I love the 3v, think this trip should involve going somewhere new. Maybe we should look towards Austria, but not St Anton or Lech.

I think, for a Christmas trip, the accommodation matters more than it otherwise would, likewise food and ambiance. I keep thinking Zermatt, but I know that might be too pricy -Not got a specific budget as such, nothing too madly expensive though!
Specific small hotels and chalet recommendations (if there are any that will cater for us mid week to midweek) would be most welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christmas week isn't too bad price wise (especially if you DIY) and usually fairly quiet, it's New Year that you get really stung for. I've done Banff, Seefeld and Hasliberg and would go back to all of them. I don't know how France do Christmas, but the Swiss, Austrians and especially the Canadians make a great effort.

EDIT: Done Leysin as well but that was sooooo long ago I can barely remember it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perty I have some friends who normally DIY drive to Gressoney before Christmas leaving a few days after Christmas. The hotel they book allows bookings by night and don't stick to the typical one week trip. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite, good thought- Gressoney is on our list of new places to visit this year, think you could be onto something. Would be good to know the name of the hotel. Thanks! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been going to the Aosta Valley at Crimbo for a few years & it'll tick all your boxes . The Hotel Dufour in Gressonay was excellent when we stayed there a few years ago & it's since had a major refurb which took it out of our price range. We now go to the Hotel de Champoluc (in Champoluc) which is also excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy