Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good ski-ing, catered, budget, at New Year?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are a family of 4, probably left it a bit late to book with Mountain Sun / Silverski for new year, limited availability and flights pricey.
We drove last year, but I am outvoted 3:1 in doing so again!

So we are looking for budget but decent, well-placed catered accommodation in a resort with good snow-reliability and wide range of runs (who isn't?!) for New Year, which is of course hideously expensive generally (them's the breaks when you marry a teacher, let alone have kids!). Not bothered by apres-ski, want straightforward access to slopes, can be in the middle of nowhere for all I care.
Any suggestions very gratefully received snowHead

PS Always avoid the big companies after a bad experience the one time we did, but might be our best option realistically now due to flight costs etc. etc.
PPS Ideally from Gatwick as we live 35 minutes away in Kent.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending on the ages of the children you could check the big guys and see which ones do free children's places. Children generally have to be 11 or under. We managed to get free child places a few years running at New Year and Christmas.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
16 & 18!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx, flights to Salzburg, transfers of 50 euro a head return to somewhere in the Sportworld amadé region (or hire a car) and a booking at a good 3* hotel should see you paying about 60 to 80 euro a night half board.

I'm booked into my usual hotel for the Christmas & New Year as well as the first week in February and the room price remains the same all season! OK it is not ski in/ski out but the free bus system is a doddle and you have numerous ski depots at the main lift stations. I use my car to ski in lots of different resorts. Some hotels are part of a region-wide partnership that offer packages, skipass and hotel (HP) all in one price. Look for Silvester-Pauschal.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmmm....Rocketski, Alpe d'Huez at the Beausoleil. Ski in/out, lifts 50m away, food good, rooms OK.

Have been with Rocketski on 3 occasions and reckon they're good value for money at the budget end.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cacciatore wrote:
Hmmmm....Rocketski, Alpe d'Huez at the Beausoleil. Ski in/out, lifts 50m away, food good, rooms OK.

Have been with Rocketski on 3 occasions and reckon they're good value for money at the budget end.

Thanks - had a look, here unfortunately is the problem:
Depart 27 Dec: £1019 pp!
(depart 10Jan £619 pp)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
simonx, have a look at bookableski.com, prices at the moment are high but nearer the date the tour operators put their unsold holidays on there. We went at new year 2 years ago to Ellmau catered chalet with Crystal at £700 pp, it was very budget. Last year we tried and failed for New Year but went last minute at Christmas instead £700pp with ski total to St Anton and it was excellent. Christmas week is usually available and for much less than new year, if you can find anything for new year. Good luck.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simonx, those prices will almost certainly come down....if you hold your nerve Toofy Grin

I had a late booking with Rocketski - 1 week HB F & T in a 3* hotel for £309 once and paid about £329 at the Beausoleil - about half the early advertised price IIRC.

Appreciate that a peak week makes that gamble slightly riskier.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just reiterating the Italy idea.

LGW MXP flights and compact 4 door car, gbp 700

We (as an example) have a 2 bed apartment in Champoluc (just about opposite the main lift) for about gbp 1450 (i'm not 100% sure of availability, but as an exercise)

I realise it's not catered, but the slopes will (probably) be quiet and the value for money for eating out and on the hill can't be easily beaten.

Sorry, I thought I'd seen £700 as your budget. Anyhoo...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ps that's 700 for 4 adult flights and the car hire... Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I doubt you will find a last minute bargain or that the price will come down for the New Year week. Most of the schools in Europe are on holiday and most people who go skiing over the Christmas / New Year holiday period tend to go for the New Year week.
You are far more likely to find something more reasonably priced or a last minute reduction for the Christmas week than the New Year week.

Last season we had a last minute cancellation for New Year and managed to sell it the next day just by sending an email out to our mailing list, we had 5 enquiries the day of sending out the email and it had been booked within an hour.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 skichampcouk,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skichampcouk, +another one. You may if very lucky find some late availability for a couple but very unlikely for a family.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+3 skichampcouk.

On top of Christmas week being a fair whack cheaper, it's also a hell of a lot quieter on the slopes. At 16 & 18 I doubt the kids will be too upset at not being at home when Santa visits (ours hasn't for the last 5 years and he's 13 next week).
snow report
skichampcouk,
+1 my OH is a teacher and we looked at new year as preferable but price made us go for christmas instead nearly half the cost
ski holidays
Easter...?? Far cheaper, quieter, long skiing days and if you go high, the snow will be fine!
snow conditions
Try Chalet Chardon in Tignes les brev, http://www.chaletchardons.com/php/hotel-prices.php

I failed to get cheaper price, great holiday. Went for the new year and had a fab time. Food was good and rooms are ok.
snow conditions
Easter too close to London Marathon for me, Christmas we have done but there can be problems due to being first proper week of season - pistes not open etc.
Gone for Italy and Mountain Sun - Innsbruck flights were much too expensive but at their suggestion looked at Venice flights with BA - way cheaper, plus by going on Boxing Day we get a day-and-a-half in Venice first, and will still be quids-in compared to Innsbruck - and since I'm 50 whilst we're away Venice can be my birthday treat Happy
snow report
Gardylan - thanks for the tip, note made for next year.
Anyone know if conditions in Brevieres tend to be good at Christmas?
ski holidays
simonx, will the Easter holidays not be your taper Toofy Grin
snow report
yep - but unfortunately I have trouble running after a week's ski-ing, tight quads etc.!
snow conditions
simonx, agree with all the recommendations for Christmas, above. Frankly, one week won't often make a big difference to snow cover - the whole holiday is too early in the season to be sure of great snow cover. The difference between Christmas and New Year, in my area, is that I am prepared to use the downhill pistes at Christmas but not at New Year, not just because of the lift queues but because of crowded pistes. I go XC skiing at New Year. Christmas is cheaper by some distance.

PS Maybe some of the people out-voting you on driving again would be prepared to contribute towards the huge price premium you will pay booking this late for new year flights. My kids, when teenagers, moaned at the prospect of a coach trip. I pointed out that they all had enough savings to pay the extra for flying. They didn't, needless to say. wink He who pays the bill calls the shots, in my book.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy