Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any pre reading / prep before learning off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a week of private lessons off piste with Nico Glize in Val d'Isere over the New Year and keen to do some pre reading / preparation

Any suggestions please? Never done off piste before, so something for dummies (I'm also a dirty boarder, so something that's relevant to boarding)

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if you're after technical/technique info or off piste safety info?

If you want to learn a bit about snow and avalanche safety then I think this online guide book by Ortovox (free to download) is a great introduction to the topic. http://www.ortovox.com/xfiles/Flippingbook/Safety-Academy-Guide-Book/English/HTML/#/1/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trainee snowboard jedi, read the guides on pre-season fitness regimes for snowboarders and get as fit as possible. That and, have a root about on www.henrysavalanchetalk.com.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not read it yet so cant say if its any good but try here:

http://www.recco.com/downloads
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, after anything I can get, have a thirst for knowledge on this so will look at all of them.

Anything that brings it to live usually works for me, when I bought some learner snowboarder books years ago, I found many to be very theory (as you'd expect) focused but couldn't then translate that into simple practical terms
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you like bullet point material then you might like this good online tutorial:

http://avalanche.org/tutorial/tutorial.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The technique isn't really different from piste skiing (or at least it isn't for skis so I imagine it will be the same for boarding). Except in light powder, which is easy, you can't get away with skidding your turns. But conversely the snow makes carving easier and stops you skidding.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as well as usual fitness, try practising balance. Options for this include standing on a wobble board/bosu, and single-leg squats (i.e. stand up and sit down on a chair using just one of your legs at a time).

Problem with pre-reading is that it can leave your trying to think about too much, which is more confusing than helpful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going to chuck this into the mix too, for completeness, although probably not too much of an issue in Val.

TREE WELLS AND DEEP SNOW SAFETY
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowboard technique in powder/soft snow is essentially the same as on-piste technique (assuming you do that properly!). The most significant difference is that you are using/pushing-on the whole of the base of the board, rather than just the edge. Feel the snow through your whole foot, not just the toes or heels.

If the snow is very deep/light, you will have to shift your weight back a little too. Make sure you do this properly, by sliding the hips back towards/over the back foot with your upper body remaing upright, not leaning your upper body towards the tail.

Crouch a little lower in your stance, to make up for the greater variation in the snow surface.

Stay soft in the legs to absorb the bumps.

Enjoy! There is nothing quite like snowboarding in powder.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd wrote:

If the snow is very deep/light, you will have to shift your weight back a little too.

Interestng if true. This is NOT true on skis, though some people seem to think it is.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Poles.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And an overview of the reduction method.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This will give you a good broad understanding of the mountain no technique though...that's just time in the saddle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Skiing-How-Adapt-Mountain/dp/9163313138/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405284318&sr=8-1&keywords=Freeskiing&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
Interestng if true. This is NOT true on skis, though some people seem to think it is.

It depends precisely what you mean.

Personally I ride centered over both legs. Most powder boards have a mild set-back stance so I ride them on the reference stance. Occasionally I'll find a board which is more general purpose, and after the first run I may shift the stance on those back a cm or so.

The usual advice is to check the board so you know what you're starting with, and if in doubt start centered. Then if you keep pearling (falling over the nose), shift you stance back a cm at a time until you stop. One or two should be plenty. Your guide should have a cross head screwdriver for precisely this purpose.

You don't want to get "into the back seat".

As far as specific preparation, just going and doing it will work.

If I had to give one tip it would be: "use a correctly sized powder board" because it's easier/ more fun.

---

What's "the reduction method"? Sounds like some contraceptive technique.
latest report
Reduction method basics http://www.monosar.org/safety_article_avalanche_risk_reduction_method.html
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/x6NGk0U7k1E
snow report
Pay attention to your surroundings for avy stuff, be prepared to find it difficult at first and spend some time flailing about in the snow.......bring a snorkel
latest report
Trying to bite my tongue here and failing! Do you guys REALLY think that telling a powder newbie to stand centred is a good idea?

Sure, when you're riding at high speed and up planing on the surface, you can bring your stance closer to the centre, but shifting your stance aft is essential at lower speeds and when learning.

To put some theory on it, when riding powder the rear contact point of the board stays in the same place (i.e. at the widest part of the tail) but the front one moves back to just in front of the front foot. Your stance should be centred over these two contact points. This means being a little further aft than normal.

You don't need a special board to ride powder, or to change your binding position (unless riding a twin-tip with no set-back - then I'd move it back a little). These are things to experiment with once you're comfortable off-piste, not for learning.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
.. Do you guys REALLY think that telling a powder newbie to stand centred is a good idea?

You need to read the posts in context and more carefully I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy