Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Essentials Ski in / out Pool, Sauna etc

Poster: A snowHead
Booked trips for 2015
Both have steam rooms and sauna
One hotel has a pool but the other doesn't
Both very handy for the slopes but not ski in/out
Sauna would be the thing I would not be without find it great after a day on the slopes?
What are the essentials for your trips? other than snow Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-07-14 21:00; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comfy bed. Good friends.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

What are the essentials for your trips?

Uncrowded slopes. Preferably no queues. Beautiful scenery. Not bothered about a sauna. A pool is nice, but just as an extra. Won't go anywhere near a hot tub. Good food (often cooked by myself wink ). Ski in/out is good and definitely no buses though I'd be happy to have a walk if I could leave skis and boots in a warm locker at the lifts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Comfy bed. Good friends.

+1.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski lifts. Everything else is negotiable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Ski lifts. Everything else is negotiable.

Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not bothered about pools, saunas or whatever. Not especially bothered about ski in/out. But I like a nice varied ski area or the ability to ski more than one area, pretty village(s), decent accommodation, friendly vibe, nice mountain huts, tree runs in case the weather closes in, good lifts, uncrowded pistes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Ski lifts. Snow. Everything else is negotiable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gämsbock wrote:
Quote:

Ski lifts. Snow. Everything else is negotiable.
Not for me. Walking up for every single turn I make isn't fun. I'll earn my turns in other ways wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski in/out is essential. Decent length beds, longer than those usual rubbish French jobs is another essential. A 'not-too-ugly' resort.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow+lifts is all you need. the rest is merely "nice to have".
not sure why ski in/out is so essential for many, but if they're willing to pay for that, then it's their money, and I won't stop them. every place I've been that claims that status you can't ski very far before you have to get a lift any way.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep snow, working lifts and a warm dry place to sleep are essential. Reasonable prices in huts, quiet slopes and limited lift queues are a bonus.

Generally I can't be bothered to get changed/showered for a sauna or swim only to have to get showered/changed again afterwards. Finish skiing, beer, shower, changed, beer, dinner, beer, bed is pretty much all I manage especially if it's practically dark when I finish. In extreme circumstances I might walk to somewhere for a beer for a change of scenery.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice company

Don't tell the wife!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow, terrain, lifts if you want to get a lot in.

Non sleigh style bed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, guess that is why you keep coming back to us then chuck! wink Laughing snowHead
snow report
Samerberg Sue, absolutely! Ticks every box! snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
I never use any of the Wellness facilities. But I always try to book a room/ apartment with a bath rather than a shower. Can't beat a good lie down and a soak.

Prices that don't feel as if I'm being robbed at every transaction also help.

As does:

Decent coffee. Nice food. A balcony. Walls that aren't paper thin/right above the nightclub. Good location for choice of uplift. Queue-free.

Non of the above is really essential... apart from the bath
snow conditions
Quote:

you can't ski very far before you have to get a lift any way

yes, I think that's generally true - but a lot of people prefer to ski to their first lift than to walk any distance in ski boots, let alone get a bus. A trek at the end of the ski day is also nice to avoid. It doesn't necessarily cost any more. I do sometimes drive to ski - but that's more faff, especially for the driver who can't drive in ski boots. It doesn't bother me too much because I am lucky and have a lot of opportunity to ski. But for someone who has just a week a year, any time faffing rather than skiing is often unwelcome.

With mixed/family groups accommodation really near the slopes - for an economical lunch, to swap kids/child care etc. is a boon.
snow report
pam w, how long do you all spend in the car?
I've never seen anyone get out of a car in their boots before Shocked
snow conditions
dode wrote:
I've never seen anyone get out of a car in their boots before Shocked
Once saw an Italian instructor come off the hill to the car park, throw his skis and poles into the back of the car, jump in and drive off wearing his ski boots Shocked
snow conditions
rob@rar, maybe he had evolved to have ski boot shaped feet wink
ski holidays
dode, perhaps, although at the time I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. I'm pretty sure he was wearing regular alpine boots. These might have had a walk mode, but I don't think I've seen any with a drive mode.
snow report
rob@rar, The club coaches in Tignes regularly drive minibuses from Le Lac to the Grande Motte wearing ski boots.

I have tried it once, I needed to move my car between two car parks, the only hard part is pressing the clutch down far enough.
latest report
rjs, If you use your own car - change boots - safty first - don' t want to be hit by a car, that can't brake. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I don't find pools/hot tubs/etc a necessity - the times I have stayed somewhere with a pool (only once or twice mind you) we never used it, too busy with afternoon tea then the pre-dinner (and apres) nap to fit in time for swimming too. The hotel I did my previous season in had a hot tub, but staff generally weren't allowed to use it, except in the post-season clean up, by which point we weren't exactly using it to recover from a hard day of skiing, just as somewhere nice to relax for a while.

I've done one holiday, with my university ski group, which wasn't ski in/out. Decided I could cope with walking to the slope in the morning, but at the end of the day I really want to be able to ski almost to the door, or at least to a bus. I don't have the energy at the end of the day for the walking Smile
ski holidays
Ski In/Out is usually pretty high on my list of wants, certainly not a deal breaker but as Pam W says it's nice not to have to dither about waiting for a bus at either end of the day. As for driving in Ski Boots, done it a few times and haven't crashed yet.
snow report
ansta1, There is always a first time.
snow report
Doesn't have to be ski in ski out, but I like it to be as close as possible. Getting a ski-bus ruins my holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski in/out is pretty much essential for me, though I'm happy with a less than 50m level walk (which is pretty much ski in/out anyway for me)
Wifi!
Comfy beds and proper pillows a must.
Somewhere separate to leave and dry skis and boots, not just a hallway.
I like a bath, but it's not essential. En suite rather than a shared bathroom is essential however!
Not fussed about hot-tubs, I rather have a really comfy living room, or good bars nearby.

If catered - decent food, with plenty of vegetables and fruit
if self catered - full sized fridge and freezer (not a tiny ice box!) and well equipped kitchen
snow conditions
I'd rather drive in ski boots than stilettoes.

I used to have to drive 10 mins with heat full on before I could get my dobermann's off.

Made heel and toeing powerslides interesting
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd rather drive in ski boots than stilettoes.

Don't want to ruin your heels now, do you? Keep your stilettoes nice for those intimate moments.
snow report
Driving in ski boots - not really an issue. Cycling in them works too.

I've no issue with buses, although in North America it's not uncommon to be the only adult in them as anyone of driving age tends to drive.

I don't care how close to the slopes the accommodation is; to me that's a tourist thing, I don't really get the point of it.

Otherwise, it's the same as everything else, pay more money, get better food and wine.
snow report
Quote:

to me that's a tourist thing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Yes, well the question was asked by a tourist, of tourists. We're not all ski gods.
ski holidays
Over the years my views have changed quite a bit and things that were ok when I was younger are no longer acceptable.

I want a decent quantity and qaulity of slope and snow. I prefer ski-in / ski-out at at least to be as near as possible as travel time is wasted time for me when skiing. Not bothered about a pretty village etc - any building is a blot on the landscape being twee doesn't change that especially if false.

Other than that a comfortable place to stay with a proper bed in a bedroom (did enough of the studio thing when younger). other than that good company and a efficient well run resort and I shuold be fine.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Ski in/out is pretty much essential for me, though I'm happy with a less than 50m level walk (which is pretty much ski in/out anyway for me)

Ahem, after reading some other people's posts, I've remembered that I spent all last season in an apartment in Chamonix that was defintiely not ski in/out Smile And I've got the same place again for this winter! I do have my own car though, and it has an underground car park Razz

So ski in/out is still pretty much essential if I'm on holiday, but not if I'm in Chamonix for a winter Embarassed Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Ski lifts. Everything else is negotiable

Shower none negotiable!
snow report
Essentials - a sufficiency of the white stuff and a quiet apartment of my own. I like privacy and - unfortunately - I need to be able to work sometimes. Friends elsewhere in the resort are a very good thing too. A frequent bus service to lifts is fine as far as I'm concerned.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Driving in ski boots - not really an issue.

Massively unsafe. I can't comprehend how anyone thinks this is OK. I have - briefly - tried driving in walking boots and you lose sensitivity on accelerator and brake control. Ski boots would be far worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9603739/Wearing-Ugg-boots-while-driving-can-cause-accidents-judge-warns.html

Betcha authorities elsewhere would take a similar view if you had an accident driving in ski boots.
ski holidays
I certainly would not be game to try it... anywhere, let alone on a snow-covered road.
latest report
dogwatch, with no sensitivity how can you ski?

There's plenty of feedback.

I assure you, I drive perfectly well in ski boots. And there are millions of people everyday (I am sure) driving in walking boots.

Your Torygraph article argues against driving with loose material around your feet. Something that I can imagine necessary if caught in flagrante delecto with the buxom wife of a shotgum wielding farmer but obviously to be avoided.

Do you ski in Ugg boots?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy