Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport - Innsbruck Breakfast Stop

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to be landing in Munich at about 6am on an overnight flight from the Far East next Easter, picking up a car and then heading down towards the Stubai Valley. I've never done this trip before and I want to know if anyone can recommend a good characterful place to stop about halfway down for breakfast that's not too far off the Autobahn. Any tips gratefully received!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dean350, there are some good places actually at the airport which may suit you better. I can recommend a couple of places off the main routes but whether you'd want to drop off into unknown territory after an overnight flight is the question. Plus it depends on which day of the week you are arriving - many laces do a Brunch, but not breakfast as English/Americans know it.

Do you have a route planned yet? There are some nice places just off the A95 (Munich - Garmisch) and in Garmisch itself there are plenty of places that just may be open before 09.00am. going along the A8 route, you may have to come quite a way off the route to find some characterful places that are open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We always stop at the first petrol station after the border with Austria (about 5 or 10k in) for a quick break and something to eat and buy a vinette which you will need to get to drive on the Austrian motorway.

It is nothing special, just a small cafe but it serves a purpose.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you'll need to stop for that vignette before the border now
nice services though
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy, Are they getting strict on that? I have probably stopped there circa 40 times, would be a shame to break the tradition.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes. vignette required from the border. and before they changed the rule, the most you could do is take the 1st turn off anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I live in Germany the last couple of years and as they said, the things are more "hard"....they want to have a vignette before you cross the borders.
That was a big matter one year ago, between Austrian and Bayern territory...but didnt hear anything new from that time...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have tended to buy the vignette in advance by post in recent years when going to Austria - after a bad experience going round and round in a town somewhere and seeming to miss the garage or wherever we were meant to be going to buy the vignette. Megamum posted a very useful link on here for buying them in advance - we do similar when we need to replace the Swiss one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Every single service area between Munich airport and whichever border crossing you use sells the vignette, plus they are sold actually at the border in the Vorarlberg (Western Austria) and Walserberg (Salzburg). You can't miss the places as there are bloody great big signs saying in several languages that the vignette is sold here. It is easy to buy as practically everyone who has face-to-face dealings with the travelling public speaks English. If you are OCD buy in advance but it seems one hell of a faff for such a small amount and such an easily obtainable item.

I've lived in the "kleine deutsche Eck" (as the Austrians call my neck of the woods) for nearly 20 years, I've seen service areas come and go (Only Kiefersfelden left along the Rosenheim/Kufstein section) and only those who leave the purchase to the last minute may have to queue at the counter at the border. The longest I've queued in the Salzburg crossing at Walserberg (I was in someone else's car) was 15 minutes.

To go back to the OP: you can travel down the A9/A99/A995 and then pick up the A95 Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. On reaching the end of the autobahn at Eschenlohe you continue on the B2 following the signs to Innsbruck. This will take you past Mittenwald which would offer you a really good choice of Gasthöfe for a morning break as well as an interesting little walk around a really picturesque centre with gorgeously painted (murals) houses in the main drag. Alternatively there are a couple of places just off the road past Seefeld.
Using this route you do not need a vignette as you do not travel on any of the motorways or Schnellstrasse to which the tolls apply. Be carefu coming out of innsbruck to go up to Stubaital as the short section of motorway to Schonberg carries an extra toll as well. Using the ordinary roads does not incur any extra payments.

JimboS, you'd have been in trouble this last weekend with your strategy; they were stopping ALL the cars (not trucks) and fining everyone who thought they did not need a vignette or believed that they could pick one up later! The reason you got away with it before is that certain sections of motorway were exempt to allow local traffic to be able to access towns with the motorway due to problems with the alternatives (notably the tunnels around Bregenz and the river crossing at Kufstein). These are now no longer a problem and the opening of the Pfändertunnel (Bregenz) last winter meant the exceptions were lifted on December 1st 2013.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 8-07-14 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been checked 3x this year out of a total of 4 return trips. Twice coming from Kufstein, the other at Pfander. Entire autobahn routed through a check.
For a whopping €8.50 (that would be paid anyway, unless chancing it for the 1st turn off only), is it worth the risk? (think the fine is something like €100 plus a vignette if it's missing, or double if it's tampered with or not stuck on properly).

I tend to pick mine up at Holzkirchen services, mainly because (a) it's not Irschenberg services (which if busy means merging back into a truck convoy right at the summit of a steep hill, with a slip road not much longer than my car, and (b) they sell them in the restaurant.

The only inconvenience is if you need fuel, you'd stop 2x or pay more (PS the first autobahn stop in Austria is a rip off), but coming from Munich, that's unlikely.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Presuming this new rule still only applies for motorway use? If I was going along the A8 to Siegsdorf and then off along the Lofer - Saalfelden route I'd still not need one, or has that changed too?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robboj, Ignore the "news" it is nowhere near being law yet! Currently the route you use for Zell via Siegsdorf does not require a vignette either for Austria or Germany.

IF (and it's a big if) it is introduced, then it applies to ALL roads. That is included so that the parallel routes do not get clogged with toll dodgers. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, OK, looks like time to find a new stopping place.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gosh, never been described as OCD before but it certainly didn't seem like a faff just to get it in advance, couple of clicks on the internet. We were driving into Austria from Switzerland that time round.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski, not aimed at anyone in particular, just seems a mite over the top, especially as the OP is not UK based and it may not arrive in time any way (or at all). wink

I usually buy my vignettes at the crossings if I need them (Switzerland, Slovenia, Slovakia, etc) otherwise I just pay as I go along (France and Italy). If you know you need a vignette most of the garages/service areas on the approach roads sell them. I picked up my latest one for Switzerland as I filled my tank at the last garage before the border in May. I learnt the hard way NOT to wait until some surly Swiss border guard slaps one on your windscreen after you've been pulled out of the crossing lane, and then proceeds to short-change you due to a ridiculous Euro:Swiss Franc exchange rate. I paid nearly 50% over the normal rate thanks to that little trick. Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy