Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a ski trip to Austria at the start of March 2015 and trying to figure out what resort it best. We are 2 people in mid-20s looking for some good Apres-Ski and nightlife, as well as good skiing at that time of year. One of us is a beginner and the other an intermediate. So far we have looked at Zell Am See, Saalbach, Mayrhofe, Soll and Solden but are finding it hard to choose. Does anyone have any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two words for you!

Saalbach-Hinterglemm! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jacquihawthorne, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
Of those you list I've only been to Zell am See, Mayrhofen and Soll, out of those I would suggest Mayrhofen. However, Samerberg Sue knows the Austrian resorts very well, so I would bow to her recommendation of Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Madeye-Smiley
As regards Solden, I've not been there, but it did get a very favourable review from another snowhead here, but it might not quite be to your taste.... Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really enjoyed Solden, but Soll would be better for nightlife. Mayerhofen is also good, but as Alastair says, Sue knows Austria (and nightlife) snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thinking about it, they were probably the first 3 resorts I skied in Austria. Mayerhofen was certainly the first. I think (Hoch)Solden was the second and Mayerhofen the third. All three were very boozy affairs nearly thirty years ago, but I do remember the skiing as being especially good in Solden. Soll was OK and I must admit to not remembering that much about Mayerhofen Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll have a great time at the start of March in Mayrhofen Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jacquihawthorne, so many choices. I would also say Saalbach would be good for you, as are Söll and Mayrhofen. Sölden I would personally avoid; just don't much like the place. OTOH further up the same valley is Obergurgl which I would also recommend, though maybe not so much for complete beginners... Kitzbühel is also worth considering.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Saalbach.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There will be a lot of places that meet your criteria, throw in a few more must haves and that may narrow it down some more.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another issue may be ski pass for beginner - Soll is I think part of the skiwelt points system whereas Kitz only has a full price pass - although it may be possible that day one is on free beginners slope at bottom of Hahnenkamm - shallow and won't get you far.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely Saalbach! We loved it so much we went back this year for a second week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the quick replies! Seems Saalbach is the most popular. Would you suggest staying in Saalbach or Hinterglemm? I know there is a bus in between but it would be nice to be walking distance to town/pubs/restaurants.

JimboS we are just looking for somewhere that will have good snow (were going in March) will be lots of fun (apres and nightlife) and is appropriate for a beginner. I guess also somewhere where it is easy to get around.[/quote]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another backer of Saalbach Hinterglemm!
The night-life is pretty hard to beat.

We have a pretty calm environment in my town (Radstadt), although Flachau does a good Aprés along with the umbrella bars at the bottom of most runs but there is something special about that ski-to-high-street at Hinterglemm. I normally pop down once a year for an afternoon skiing, then a bit of Aprés then the night skiing / fun park.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hinterglemm is quieter than Saalbach.

I'd also look at Obertauern too. It's fairly high so the snow is generally good and has a decent mix of blues and reds, so you should both be OK, plus Edelweiss and Lurzer Alm are hard to beat for Apres.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want the Apres, then Saalbach all the way. There are so many great options. Just remember there is apres and then apres, apres. Starts at the Hinterhagalm Toofy Grin. Then ski back to the town from where you can walk to pretty much all establishments. There are plenty of central hotels etc to chose from.

There is a really accessible beginner area just above the main town, plenty to progress to and for intermediates its heaven.
snow conditions
So you recommend staying in central Saalbach, skiing and ending in Hinterglemm for Apres and then skiing back to Saalbach for dinner/nightlife?
Do you recommend anywhere in particular to stay at? Were looking for something resonably budget
snow conditions
Quote:

So you recommend staying in central Saalbach, skiing and ending in Hinterglemm for Apres and then skiing back to Saalbach for dinner/nightlife?

Cacciatore's recommendation is to finish your ski day at the Hinterhagalm, which is a bar/restaurant on the slopes 100m above Saalbach, not Hinterglemm. After enjoying the après there, you ski, slide or stagger down the short run back to the village, whilst attempting to avoid the Bauers Schialm or Spitzpub, which are both bars cunningly located on your route home. Toofy Grin You should however get over to Hinterglemm at least once during the week, for the après at Goasstall featuring the goat-band, or the night skiing. Busses run until 5 pm; after that it's a 10 min taxi ride.

Last season's very long thread regarding Saalbach can be found here >> http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2402083&highlight=saalbach+unofficial#2402083

Good places to stay served by UK Tour Ops - Hotel Konig, Berger Sportalm, Hotel Central, Hotel Panther all in the centre of the village. All within 5 minutes walk of the various lifts. Best chalet by a long chalk is Pension Enzian, run by a British couple, which you need to book direct and find your own flights. It is located just off the black run on Schattberg, so maybe not ideal for a beginner/intermediate couple, but it is only a short walk up a road from the village centre.

Rent skis from Hansi (above Bobby's at the lower end of the pedestrian street).

Group lessons - Snowacademy (ask for Johnny) or Furstauer (Casey, Phil or Nick) or Stevie at Zink for private lessons.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 30-06-14 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
quinton, thanks for qualifying and spot on! Toofy Grin

jacquihawthorne, I stayed at the Hotel Konig a couple of seasons ago - with reasonable conditions you can ski back to the boot room (albeit by crossing a road that is often covered in snow). It is a mid-range hotel, with outstanding food and a pleasant, quiet bar area. Rooms were decent sizes, bathrooms good with reasonable shower. Very friendly people there (but that seems typical of Austria in my experience).

The Hotel is a 5 minute walk into the centre of Saalbach and a couple of minutes from Hansi's (I used them and all good there, including the Schnapps they dole out) and Bobby's (great place that rocks when Cuckoo play....seasonal band....).
ski holidays
Saalbach Hinterglemm was the best ski area I've been to. Admittedly had mainly good weather days but it's all really well linked. Did not sample much of apres as was before xmas. I stayed in the hotel Edelweiss in Hinterglemm which was excellent.
snow conditions
You could stay at Maishofen.
You could buy SalzburgSuperSkiCard and you could try everyday another resort depending on weather and snow conditions.
Austria and especially Salzburg area are not like Tirol or France with high level resorts.
Most of resorts are from 800 until 2000
Only Obertauern and Kitzsteinhorn are exceptions.
If the temps are high that might be a problem. Is better to choose a skipass which includes many resorts , low and high altitude.

Consider SalzburgSuperSkiCard or Zillertal.
snow conditions
Quote:

You could stay at Maishofen.

You could buy SalzburgSuperSkiCard and you could try everyday another resort depending on weather and snow conditions.

A possibility only if you have a car, and only if you are not interested in the après in Saalbach-Hinterglemm - the police are always stopping cars on the Saalbach-Maishofen road after 4 pm. There is not much to do in Maishofen for a young couple looking for après and nightlife.

Also, for a beginner and an intermediate, there is more than enough in the S-H Ski Circus even on a sunny day with relatively poor snow conditions. If Saalbach has poor snow, then the surrounding areas will be even worse (with the exception of Kitzsteinhorn, which will then be rammed with guests). A SalzburgSuperSkiCard is great if you have transport and a two-week holiday, but a waste otherwise. Why spend time driving an hour or more to other resorts when there is so much in S-H. If you do want a change of scenery, then a Ski Alpin card includes Zell am See and Kaprun as well as S-H, but is still only viable if you have your own transport.
snow report
Thanks so much for all of the recommendations! We have decided on Saalbach and are currently booking accomodation. I got a quote from All Mountains Lodge which is right in town in Saalbach for a good price. I cant find any reviews at all on google, and they want a deposit so i just wanted to check to see if they actually exist and Im not getting scammed. Has anyone ever stayed here?
ski holidays
Might be worth you posting this on the Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - it's Snowtime thread and one of the Saalbach experts such as Tatman Tours may be able help you
snow report
jacquihawthorne, All Mountain Lodge very much exists - it is directly by the Bernkogel cabin lift in the centre of Saalbach. Ideal position for the village shops and entertainment. Ski Pro rental shop is almost next door. You are right next to one main lift; the others are two minutes away (Kohlmais and Turm) and 5 minutes away (Schattberg) so an ideal spot.
ski holidays
Thanks! Ill go ahead and book it then Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy