Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Convert me to off piste!!

Poster: A snowHead
I'd not done off piste until I made the mistake of going on my first snow heads bash 2 years ago. Admin "persuaded" me to follow him off piste for a morning. Couldn't do it and wore a lot of snow. "Persuaded" - by admin again - be careful, he's a dangerous man to get to know - to do the off piste bash in the beginner's group. Haven't looked back since!
Dave and Gavin both fab instructors and not all the people who go on the course are internet weirdos wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
k, being persuaded by Admin to follow you into the abyss to break your off piste virginity?! Sounds like the start of either a thriller/horror/seedy movie Happy

Sure cant wait to get the preachers out and use them as intended!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulC1984: I'm 48 and I started off piste 5 years ago. So don't worry about your age. Men stay strong well into their 50s so keep working on your fitness and you'll be fine.

I had found that piste skiing was getting a bit samish but I couldn't convince anyone to come off piste with me. 5 years ago we were in St Anton where they have un-pisted, patrolled areas called trails. I eyed one up for a few days and then had a go. It had been well skied so it was quite firm. I fell over about a dozen times and I managed to sprain my wrist punching the mountain on a steep bit, but it was the best fun I'd even had.

The following year we went to Val D'Isere specifically because the lift accessed off-piste is so good. I did a 3 day course with The Development Centre (www.tdcski.com) which concentrated on steeps and trees because there wasn't much powder. I've done some private lessons since and then this year I did another tdc course in Courcheval.

I still haven't convinced anyone to come off-piste with me and I wouldn't feel safe on my own. But I find a lot of "sidecountry" (that's the stuff between pistes) and lift lines (which are my favourites). I ski with my daughter and wife and often my brother and it works really well. Kids seem to learn jumps and basic off-piste in their lessons so my daughter comes with me on the short or easy bits and we all meet up at the lifts. If you throw in some blacks and the mogul fields that seem to be springing up in many of the resorts you get a fantastic "all mountain" experience. And I've started going to the freestyle evenings at my local dry slopes so hopefully I'll be able to add that to my repetoire next year!

I hired a pair of fat skis the first time and now I own a pair of Head Rev 90s. They are 90mm under foot which is plenty enough to stay afloat. If you go down the instruction route the slightly narrower skis will make you remember your lessons. And they carve surprisingly well. I don't use safety equipment when I'm near the piste and it's provided on courses. I've just bought a decent bag this year and will buy a shovel and probe. I'll get a transceiver as and when I need one but for the moment I'd rather use a guide/instructor's transceiver as I think it'll work better with their own kit.

And if there are any Snowheads in Courcheval next January who would care to join me off piste . . .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
henzerani, if i wasnt in tignes Jan i would have joined you Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll joined the chorus singing the hymn that your racing background probably means you already know how to ski "properly". So converting to off-piste will be relatively easy.

So much of skiing is about balance on the skis. The advice of treating the 2 skis as a unit is particularly spot on. What makes snowboard so much easier on powder is there's no independent movement between the two planks. Pay special attention to balance evenly on the two skis, you'll find it comes naturally.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, Thanks for this. My problem is the variability of slopes. lets be honest, racing in snowdomes/dry slopes is never the same as being on the mountain. I found this in scotland last year. I was fine skiing 180m, but once I got past the length of chillfactore, my legs gave in Happy - ok so perhaps that had a lot to do with sitting behind an office desk and eating 2 many mcdonalds in the last couple of years Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's another misconception that off-piste is hard work. Well, not any harder than proper carving on piste at racing speed!

ok, maybe just as hard. So you're good for about 180m of off-piste Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can´t embed it for some reason, but here´s the link.

http://www.newschoolers.com/watch/657310.0/Believe--2007-?c=11

Ignore the fact that it´s hosted on newschoolers, this is one of the all time best videos when it comes to conveying the best feeling you can have on skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
downskis, Cool video!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulC1984, One thing to consider in picking a ski school for your Tignes trip is that the founders of Ultimate Snowsports are ex dry slope racers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, I used to be in Stoke Race Team with Sean and Simon mmaaannnyy years ago! To be fair, they are awesome skiers, but just because I know them, doesn't mean I will get them on the day. Whilst I appreciate you get some good and bad instructors, Id rather go with a ski school that comes with several recommendations rather than hoping I get someone good on the day, and actually getting Smeagol or Pingu turning up!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don´t rip on Pingu!

http://youtube.com/v/uGmPg6ahGtU
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
haha, have you ever noticed how Pingus parents are always ironing yet they wear no clothes!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So this is the BASI 2 training video?? No wonder ESF get upset with us teaching on their mountains Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love Pingu I got caught doing a Pingu the other season! On Piste Fat ski look was funny
latest report
livetoski, haha pmsl
snow conditions
If you're looking for recommendation and you'll be in Tignes see if tdc (www.tdcski.com) are running any courses. I've skied with Nico once and Kierran twice. I'd definitely recommend them.
snow report
henzerani wrote:
If you're looking for recommendation and you'll be in Tignes see if tdc (www.tdcski.com) are running any courses. I've skied with Nico once and Kierran twice. I'd definitely recommend them.

By pure coincidence I am in tignes in Jan, so looking to do a 3/5 day course!! Happy
latest report
Well, email them!
ski holidays
henzerani, Yes boss! Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy