Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Economy grade ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski holiday booked for 2015, flights sorted. Only the question of ski hire unresolved. Every year the same dilemma: do I go for basic level, better or best; or something in between? Inevitably, I get suckered into the grade that’s a couple up from cheapest but below the top notch. I say, “suckered” because I doubt that I could tell the difference between them, and I’m actually pretty certain that there is little real difference. Every year the manufacturers come up with some stunning innovation involving carbon fibre, microchips, fuel injection or Dolby noise reduction, but you just know that you could probably get the same improvement by painting on some go-faster stripes.

I am not a strong skier and the things that make a difference to how well I ski are how fit and how fat I am, how much practice I have had, the snow conditions, the slope conditions and whom I’m following down the slope. I would guess these things account for 90% of the variation in my ability and the skis less than 10%.

And when you book the skis you can’t be sure what you will actually get. They always have a get out clause saying “or equivalent model”. So when I turn up at the ski shop and I’m given Rossignol touchscreens rather than the Salomon featherlites I haven’t a clue whether I’m getting a good deal or a complete dud.

It is precisely because I’m not a strong skier and not knowledgeable about ski models, that I persuade myself that any advantage I can secure is probably worth the extra cost. But is it? The economy level skis are often half the price of the higher grades. Should I have the courage of my convictions and go for the cheapest?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chomski, I don't have a clue TBH, as a snowboardist the vast majority of our rental gear is either shot to hell or so generic it's stamped out of sheets of old plywood on a pre-war steampress just outside Minsk. But I do think you're on to something.

I reckon the majority of people wouldn't go for the 'low spec' option out of bias, so by the end of the season, while all the other kit looks like the dogs been using it as a chew-toy, the basic stuff still has a whiff of New Ski Smell clinging to it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you not just try the basic ones and see how you get on with them? I'm sure if you came back to the shop and wanted to upgrade they would be happy to do so. I think most people upgrade because the skis look a bit more shiny and few would be at the standard to really benefit from a higher performing ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fair point googiew - however I did that a couple of years ago and got real duds but it was half term and a small resort which was very busy - only 1 pair left in the hire shop when I went back and they weren't a lot better than the first ones!

Depends where and when you go I suppose - if its a massive shp they should be OK to change them I imagine. I paid the carriage cost and took my own the following year......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's important to have the best looking ski's on the slope, don't worry about performance...

Someone I was skiing with was in a shop in Courchevel 1850 in feb, in walks a lady

Lady, "I want black ski's"
Shop assistant, "Yes madam, how about these"
Lady, "No, they are last years, I must have this years black ski's"

So, it's vital you get the best looking ones by the sounds of things Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chomski,

Firstly if you want advice you need to give more info on your skiing ability, also what runs you ski ie blue red etc conditions you like and hate ie lot of people do not like hardpack/ice, would you want to try off-piste? Then some info on where/when you are going as geoffo, has said small resorts at peak times may be more limited on rental stock.

Have you considered buying your own ski's though ? After all if you have been a few times in the long run it will be cheaper than keep renting.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would rent whatever you fancy and then ask your instructor if she thinks it's holding you back. With snowboarding at least, the best snowboard is the one you find easiest to ride, because you will learn fastest on that.

Personally I wouldn't by choice ride entry level gear, whatever the sport is, but that's not because "more advanced" toys make me "better", just that it's more fun to ride stuff which is designed for what I do.

I also shoot photographs, and like most photographers who sell stuff I use the best gear money can buy. That gear is harder to use than the entry level stuff, but has much more potential.

--
The word "Skis" with an apostrophe in it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At the end of the day, you are on holiday and so if you want the shiny ones then get them. In response to chomski, opening question as to whether it would make a lot of difference. I dont think that it would, however this is dependant on booking from a half decent hire shop that has new/well maintained kit. If you let us know where you are going then, someone I am sure will be able to pass on a recomendation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read this a while ago. Doesn't really help, but it's an interesting read:

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/features/the-great-rental-rip-off
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you truly can't tell the difference then basic seems what you need. Tactically it might be wise if the price difference isn't material to opt for the next grade up if only to get a bit of negotiating power if you want to take back some total junk.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i agree that for the average intermediate they would probably get a tiny advantage going for the 'gold' level package offered rather than the basic.. my preferred route is to look for the shop that comes with some good reviews (perhaps via this site) and has new or nearly new gear, whatever the grade, and will give honest advice on what gear they reccomend based on your ability and 'user profile'. Also they should be accessible if theres a problem so you can swap if needed..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends where you go. Some shops buy beginner skis to put in the beginner category (the idea of an economy category is fairly alien to me) but others just knock the good skis down a category or two as they get older. You can see the problems the latter can pose, as a beginner normally won't get on too well with a five year old pair of slalom skis...

I'd you ski fairly competently however, you'll probably be let down in either case as the skis will be new but too basic for your level, or old and worn out.

I would say just order the upper mid range (probably coloured red). They'll probably be new, fairly good but not likely to kill you. And if you want to upgrade you've got another two categories above to play with.

Don't get hung up on specific models, but the general category is of some relevance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chomski,

One last thing have you checked out the sales for a new pair ? Quite possibly you could get a brand new pair of skis for about double the rental cost for one year ( int/adv skis ).
If money is an issue or if you want a pair for plastic/indoor looking at secondhand skis is another option, they should cost from under half the cost of rental to about the cost of one years rental.

If you need advice on this check out inside outs ski levels first for your skiing level.

http://youtube.com/v/4blb2i7A0WA
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy