Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the latest you can apply for a Ski Season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am just looking for some rough guidance, basically I have recently left a job and am currently applying for jobs in the same field. However, if by October ish I haven't found anything I was thinking of a ski season. Would October be too late to organise things?

I am not sure whether I would be looking to go with one of the big TO's or organise things independently.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
October's not a bad time to be looking for seasonal work in the mountains. Lots of ops are hiring then.
That said, the more 'serious' jobs are usually allocated before that but often they're the ones that pay better and consequently allow less time on the hill.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wam15, When I did my first one, 20 years ago, the main hiring for chalet staff, guides, reps etc was done now. That said, I got a job in November as someone had injured themselves.

My plan if that hadn't happened was just to take myself out to one of the big resorts (I was thinking 3Vs) and tout myself around. At the very least I had enough ££ to get myself 6 weeks skiing in or so which would have been something.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is no latest IMO - if you speak to TOs during the season they recruit pretty consistently to replace leavers/injured people etc.. I know a couple of people who decided to go mid-season.

I think when I applied I did an assessment day thingy in August and found out in September. I'd think October would be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wam15, My son #1 got a job as a sous chef for a TO on the 4th November.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In most resorts you can turn up and find work there so requires the ability to buy a flight and rent a hostel for a few days. Depends if you have a bit of cash spare to front for accom / lift pass though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies, will see how things go and whether I can find a job between now and then!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not apply anyway and if you get a 'proper' job simply give it up?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finances basically

I would rather go independantly but that requires some level of savings and I am not sure how it's all going to work out by october.

Also at the moment I don't want to distract myself!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rich739 wrote:
In most resorts you can turn up and find work there so requires the ability to buy a flight and rent a hostel for a few days. Depends if you have a bit of cash spare to front for accom / lift pass though.

Based on my not very scientific survey of sitting in a few bars in Meribel in week 1 of the 12/13 season, I probably saw 20-25 would be workers trot in with CV's. All got a response of 'no jobs, sorry' even the ones that could speak french. Perhaps they were out to late but given only 40% of the bars were actually open then it struck me as quite a futile activity.

Certainly over the last few seasons I believe there were more career breakers (whether by choice or circumstance) that took the opportunity to do a season, so perhaps there were more people chasing jobs. Clearly the larger Tour operator's are recruiting now but the smaller ones will do it later in the year. I'd recommend having a look at the solutions room of chalets direct - http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=2 as it's where quite a few smaller companies advertise. Currently out of the first 20 adds, 13 are offers for employment and 7 are requests for employment (a few summer ones). Come novemeber you'll probably have 3 offers to 17 requests.

I'd take the opportunity to take a break - I did a season about 6 years ago now as a 'career-breaker' and it was one of the best things I could have done...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
15 months ago I took a vol redundancy package and had a total career break. I skied pretty much all last winter, but am having to look seriously round for work now. Still the best thing I've done in decades Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the smaller ones will do it later in the year

MY experience of working for smaller TOs - admittedly grotesquely out of date - was that they started before the big boys as they had fewer resources to apply and often higher standards...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wam15, why not apply for seasonal jobs now in any case, just in case? You might find you get more choice of resort/job that way. You'll typically have to pay a security deposit (around £100, depending on employer) which you lose if you don't take the job, but IMO that would be money well spent if it meant you were guaranteed a resort and job that was a real appeal.

It does stitch the TO up if you turn it down very late, so that's the downside of course. But most TO's will build some redundancy into their recruitment efforts for such scenarios, from my winter season working experience it's far from unknown.

EDIT: Just seen this has already been asked and answered Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy