Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative travel to alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,was thinking of using a cheaper mode of transport for getting to chamonix other than the plane,just to get out there and do some cool stuff this summer hols.Has anyone tried tested eurolines from the uk,and how would you rate it for getting out there next winter,cheers in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nordwand, easyjet is hard to beat unless there are a big crowd of you. Return to Geneva for £80 - ish. Bus - or hitch - to Chamonix.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Used Eurolines years ago, I don't think I'd use them in the winter not impressed by their drivers or the way they would treat the passengers which on a couple of occasions meant being told to get off the coach n the middle of te night in a deserted coach station and having to wait for another coach with no explanation, also they are not good if you are over 6ft tall since your kness get pulverised by the seat in front
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Single fare £56. 19 hours on a bus. Just how broke do you have to be before that seems a good idea?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Single fare £56

I'm not "anti coach" - we did several family ski holidays by coach when the kids were small and they were good value; a big saving on the air fare and dropped at the chalet door. Plus two days extra skiing. But at that price easyJet (or BA if you can get a good fare) is a no-brainer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dogwatch wrote:
Single fare £56. 19 hours on a bus. Just how broke do you have to be before that seems a good idea?

not sure i should find this funny but i do! Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used it years ago as a student a few times London-Chamonix and London-Grenoble.

The great thing is that it is door-door with your baggage, for £100 for an open return. No matter how cheap the easyjet fare, by the time you've paid for 30kg of climbing gear and transport to/from the airport, flying is likely to be more expensive and less flexible. 19hrs on a bus, or 19hrs of peace and quiet to read a book, look at the french countryside, watch a movie etc. Depends on your perspective I guess!

We used to travel to Chamonix and stay until we ran out of money, then come home on the next bus (the luxury of an open ticket). Given this was our starting point, that probably answers the "how broke do you need to be" question, as every £3 saved was an extra day in the Alps.

It's not the nicest way to travel, but there's usually a good atmosphere on the bus. I don't think the seats are any less comfy than the eurostar. Plenty on here will recommend driving to the Alps but I'll hazard a guess that the Eurolines coach is a lot smoother & more spacious than their cars...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowdave wrote:
Used it years ago as a student a few times London-Chamonix and London-Grenoble.

The great thing is that it is door-door with your baggage, for £100 for an open return. No matter how cheap the easyjet fare, by the time you've paid for 30kg of climbing gear and transport to/from the airport, flying is likely to be more expensive and less flexible. 19hrs on a bus, or 19hrs of peace and quiet to read a book, look at the french countryside, watch a movie etc. Depends on your perspective I guess!

We used to travel to Chamonix and stay until we ran out of money, then come home on the next bus (the luxury of an open ticket). Given this was our starting point, that probably answers the "how broke do you need to be" question, as every £3 saved was an extra day in the Alps.

It's not the nicest way to travel, but there's usually a good atmosphere on the bus. I don't think the seats are any less comfy than the eurostar. Plenty on here will recommend driving to the Alps but I'll hazard a guess that the Eurolines coach is a lot smoother & more spacious than their cars...

I think i'm probably bias, every time i've looked at driving somewhere a flight always seems to have worked out cheaper, no doubt you need more than 2 to make any drive economical with the current price of fuel. I've personally never done a long distance coach trip but the short ones i've been on i found painful so i've always avoided them. Struggle to sit still and like to be in control of my own destiny, or if out of control of it, for a short period of time!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

no doubt you need more than 2 to make any drive economical with the current price of fuel

with cheap air fares (and they're not always cheap of course) you need at least 4 people to justify driving - not just fuel but also motorway tolls and channel crossing.

I can see that a bus from the UK right to Chamonix and an open return makes sense if you are OK with long distance coach but I'd probably opt for easyJet and a return transfer with Chamexpress - €50. But the flight gets more expensive if you have heaps of baggage of course.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi thanks everyone for your comments.The thing is we will have a fair bit of kit with us which no doubt bumps up the price with flying.The only good thing about the coach is it picks us up in our town and would drop us in cham as peeps have said.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy