Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Somewhere new -Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is the right place (or over in "The piste") but I'm wondering about places to ski next year. A bit of background:

Family of 4
Parents reasonable skiers (on and off for 20 years)
Kids (will be 15 and 12) skiing for 6 years (7 & 8 trips) and pretty dare devil.
Prefer self-drive/Self catering
Needs to be Feb half-term

In the last few years, since skiing with the kids, we've done:

Courcheval
La Plagne
Valandry
Morzine
Flaine
Tignes
Alpe D'Huez

We're pretty close to Folkstone, and tend to only count the hours of driving in France, but the last 4 have been self-drive. Tignes was the furthest (combination of delays, poor weather, and the fact that its a long way!) and was probably 9-10 hours. So I don't really want to go further than that.

Alpe d'Huez was good because it was somewhere totally new. That said, after a few years I can't remember 1 resort from another. We do like to cover some ground, so tend to go for large resorts. I was just wondering (hoping) if there was anywhere we had missed?

LR
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try in here:

http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1376291881_guide-stations-BAT.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Many people consider Valandry as part of Les Arcs,

9 -10 hours Calais to Tignes is not bad going in good weather never mind bad weather and delays.

You could add Verbier, and the Aosta valley to your list but self catering is a bit trickier
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about Evasion Mont Blanc (St Gervais, Megeve, Les Contamines) or Chamonix? Have only been to the former in summer but it seems a sizeable ski area and is easy to drive to.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try a different country

9 hours from Calais is St Anton in Austria for example....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Based on your selection so far, one resort which strikes me as being missing is Val Thorens (or Les Menuires). Presumably when you went to Courchevel you didn't ski the entire 3 Valleys area, so somewhere on the opposite side of the domain might be worth trying.

Otherwise, probably time to try somewhere outside France if you need 200km+ of linked pistes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

9 -10 hours Calais to Tignes is not bad going in good weather never mind bad weather and delays.

yes indeed, I thought that too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LittleRob wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place (or over in "The piste") but I'm wondering about places to ski next year. A bit of background:

Family of 4
Kids (will be 15 and 12) skiing for 6 years (7 & 8 trips) and pretty dare devil.

Courcheval
La Plagne
Valandry
Morzine
Flaine
Tignes
Alpe D'Huez

We're pretty close to Folkstone, and tend to only count the hours of driving in France, but the last 4 have been self-drive. Tignes was the furthest (combination of delays, poor weather, and the fact that its a long way!) and was probably 9-10 hours. So I don't really want to go further than that.

Alpe d'Huez was good because it was somewhere totally new. That said, after a few years I can't remember 1 resort from another. We do like to cover some ground, so tend to go for large resorts. I was just wondering (hoping) if there was anywhere we had missed?

LR
my list of resorts is +/- the same as yours and my family of 4 has similar dilema each year. close to France, I would try Cormayeur (Italian side of MontBlanc) - next to Chamonix driving vise, but nicer for a family I would say than Chamonix. Only skied there for a day this April, but enjoyed it a lot. Besides skiing had the best cappuccino ever and it was 1,5 eur on a mountain
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mooney058 wrote:
LittleRob wrote:

Family of 4

Courcheval
La Plagne
Valandry
Morzine
Flaine
Tignes
Alpe D'Huez

LR
my list of resorts is +/- the same as yours and my family of 4 has similar dilema each year. close to France, I would try Cormayeur (Italian side of MontBlanc) - next to Chamonix driving vise, but nicer for a family I would say than Chamonix. Only skied there for a day this April, but enjoyed it a lot. Besides skiing had the best cappuccino ever and it was 1,5 eur on a mountain

I went to Courmayeur for a week this year. Unless you're interested in the extensive of piste, it's more of a weekend resort. I was really glad we went for days out in Pila and La Thuile, as I was getting a bit bored of Courmayeur.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LittleRob, What about Serre Chevalier?

Just a bit further along the road from Alpe d'Huez and you'll receive lots of advice about it on snowheads.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How does anyone get bored of TV or EK (say) in a week! I spent a whole season in Courchevel and was still discovering hidden corners at the end.

Putting that to one side, I think the idea of heading to the opposite end of one of the big areas makes sense - perhaps Morgins for PDS, VT for TV, VdI for EK etc. Otherwise nearest really big area that you haven't been would be Verbier. Bit pricy though.

Evasion Mont Blanc is definitely an option as you are driving. It is not quite on the same scale as those other areas and is lower (although Les Contamines has an excellent snow record). Driving helps because there are a couple of satellite resorts which are not linked by lifts (most significantly Les Contamines where the best skiing is IMO).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for all the replies. I think the idea of "The opposite end" of a large area makes sense. That would seem to suggest:

a) Les Arcs (we have done Valandry before. Once with kids, twice for the adults)
b) VT (though I forgot to add that we have done Reberty before. What's the drive like to VT?
c) Somehwere in the Espace Killy. We went a couple of years back, but only for 5 days (though I've been 2 other times) and my son wasn't with us (In Kitzbuhl with his school)

Quote:

Presumably when you went to Courchevel you didn't ski the entire 3 Valleys area

Probably not, since it was the kids first time on skis. However, 2013 was their last ski lesson (that I'm paying for!) and so these days we can cover some serious ground.

I'll look into Serre Chevalier

For some reason I've never fancied Chamonix (though I spent a few days in the town in September once, and liked it).

LR
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LittleRob, If you send a message (PM) to Hells Bells she should be ale to help you on most things about Serre Chevalier, she has an apartment there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LittleRob, I was actually thinking about suggesting SerreC too, until someone mentioned it. It has a really nice variety of terrain, is easy to navigate and has a good sense of travel. Well worth a look.

I'd also echo the comments about Courmayeur, you'll have covered the area in a day, but there are a few resorts worth visiting for a day trip or two, Pila and La Thuile spring to mind. They're a short(isn) and cheap bus ride away and can break the week up nicely.
snow report
With family or "guys only" I came to realise I do not need huge area, I need GOOD area to ski. Therefore folowing last Feb experience I booked one week with guys and week with family in St Foy also for 2015 - 15 min away from Tignes & Val d'Isere or Les Arcs or La Thuile - not a single day I considred going to these big areas (where I have been before), and St Foy only has 4 lifts and a handfull of pistes .... In Jan 2014 skied in Meribel, in Feb St Foy - way more enjoyable in St Foy. And no, regretably I do not own anything in St Foy Very Happy so just an alternative, do not dismiss smaller resorts, especialy in Feb it might be very busy
latest report
mooney058, shhh! Don't give away the secret! wink
latest report
For whatever reason we prefer exploring to re-running the same pistes, so large areas where we can feel like we've covered some ground particularly appeal. I'm not sure a small resort would appeal.

Equally, I'm not keen on driving between areas, though we will have the car with us, so that rather rules that out.

fussy, me?

LR
snow conditions
LittleRob, what about the Milky Way, i.e. Montgenevre, Claviere, Sestriere, Sauze etc? I don't have much experience of the area, but there is opportunity to cover some ground on the lift system.
ski holidays
LittleRob, given your wish to drive no further than Tignes you might be best re-visiting either the Espace Killy, the 3 Valleys or the Portes du Soleil (shorter drive than the Tarentaise). You can't have exhausted the possibilities in any of those areas in just one week with kids. Choose a different base - e.g. Val d'Isere, one of the other Courchevel bases, Avoriaz.

You'd be very lucky, or very illegal, to reach Tignes in 9 hours at half term though.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
LittleRob, given your wish to drive no further than Tignes you might be best re-visiting either the Espace Killy, the 3 Valleys or the Portes du Soleil (shorter drive than the Tarentaise). You can't have exhausted the possibilities in any of those areas in just one week with kids. Choose a different base - e.g. Val d'Isere, one of the other Courchevel bases, Avoriaz.

You'd be very lucky, or very illegal, to reach Tignes in 9 hours at half term though.
indeed, driving next year will be a challenge. there is somewhere a timetable with 2015 school hols accross the EU, next year half term is the worst I have seen so far in terms of ski heavy regions going to ski at the same time. One more reason to go for a smaller resort wink
ski holidays
pam w

Yes I think you are probably right. We did stay in Chatel a few years back, but I recall having to drive each day, as indeed we did in Morzine (though there the apartment owner drive us, which was less hassle). I'd like to be ski-in/out as we don't use winter tyres (though the car is notionally a 4WD).

To be fair about Tignes it was actually Easter when we went there (as a cheeky 2nd break) and I did say 9-10 hours. Google maps suggests 8:55. Normally we are on an early evening tunnel then drive through until about 2-3am (usually somewhere south of Dijon) and sleep for a few hours in the car. We are then up at about 6 and drive into the resort about 10-ish Its worked well on closer resorts (Flaine and Morzine were particularly easy) and we are normally on the slopes by mid morning.

However, when we went to Tignes there were 3 hour delays on the tunnel, then heavy rain up the mountain, and the gendarmes stopped everyone to but chains on. By the time we were sitting in a restaurant at lunchtime, having done a single run in cloud, I'd had enough!
snow report
LittleRob, I know you ideally want to drive, but I'd seriously consider trying another country. France is great, but after a gap of many years it came as quite a surprise to me just how wonderful other countries are. Having skiied Italy and Austria the last couple of years it's going to take quite a lot to drag me back to France. Apart from the sheer expanse of some of the big French resorts I just think that Italy and Austria, for example, just provide a better skiing experience. I'm not really trying to say that other countries are better than France, just that they are definitely worth trying for many, many reasons.
ski holidays
LittleRob, FWIW, Calais to Obergurgl is, in theory, only 10 hours.
snow report
Another recommendation for Serre Chevalier.

Plenty of mileage and great sense of travel with a good variety of pistes both above and at tree-line. Excellent off-piste, too.

There are good options for self-catering - the resort is popular with French and Italians and doesn't seem to cater to the mass Brit market, so less catered chalets etc (though there are some, of course). Many options for walking distance of the slopes in all the 4 main towns that make up the area (Briancon, Chantemerle, Villeneuve and Monetier Les Bains).

SC is quite traditional, the fortified old town of Briancon is worth a visit and the valley bus service (free on your ski pass) is excellent if you ski the whole area and don't have the legs to get back (or just want to take it easy for a day).

As someone else mentioned, Hells Bells is the "resident" expert on Serre Che.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about (about which to think wink )
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
LittleRob, FWIW, Calais to Obergurgl is, in theory, only 10 hours.

Stuben (next to St Anton) to Calais is about 9 1/2 hours (excluding stops)

I'd definitely try a different country if I were you.
snow report
LittleRob, With respect, you seem to be going back to the same place, or somewhere very similar, every year so your list of untried, new resorts is getting ever smaller.

As others have pointed out, perhaps it's time to try another country. You could do worse than start with Austria. A search on Via Michelin shows that Calais - Tignes takes between 10 and 11 hours. St Anton and Obergurgl are within that range, while an additional hour or so (on good, free German autobahns) will get you to Zillertal (for Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller etc), Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Kitzbuhel or most of Ski Amade.

Plenty of good quality self-catering available - use the Tourist Office websites or the rental sites such as HomeAway, or check out the Snowheads that have properties.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LittleRob,
I agree with suggestion of Serre Che but also agree that there are other countries not sure what the driving times are but Switzerland has quite a few resorts that are pretty sizable as does Austria I guess places like the dolomites are a fair bit further to drive. But in Austria I don't think Ischgl or St Anton (or nearby villages for better prices) will be much worse than France in peak holiday time.
Verbier has been mentioned but Nendaz covers the same area (though see 4 valley threads as this appears uncertain for next year) and Nendaz has significantly cheaper accommodation costs and loads of self catering.
snow conditions
LittleRob, sorry to add another resort into the mix, but I think Serfaus in Austria might suit. Large ski area, entertaining for any standard, excellent lift system covering Sefaus, Fiss, etc. It is one hours easy drive south of Innsbruck. It also has plenty of self catering apartments. Smile
snow conditions
Not sure if this has already been mentioned or not. If you're looking for a nice resort, family-friendly, etc., Crans Montana is worth a look. Although it may be a bit of a drive too far. Not sure how many hours it would take from Folkstone.
ski holidays
+1 for Serfaus!
snow conditions
Another vote for Austria, reliable snow, a bit cheaper and bags of atmosphere. Check out interhome for direct letting of apartments.
ski holidays
Until 10 days ago I would have said the 4vallees as well.

We can get to Les Collons in 10 hours via Besancon so I reckon Crans Montana would not be too different. If you could stretch a bit longer you could also get to Grimentz.
ski holidays
+1 Austria
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy