Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next year's Luttman-Johnson Challenge - Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the date for this yet?

Here's a challenge... This question has been on Ski Club MO forum for over a day with no response. Can snowHeads come up with the answer first?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely it's organised by THE CLUB, so what's the likelihood of us knowing?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laura Zachary on The Ski Club forum, 6th April 2004 wrote:

The date for the Luttman-Johnson Challenge 2005 has not yet been set, although it's normally the first Wednesday in February so it may be the 2nd February 2005. That's not definite though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did it some years back. It's a lot of fun - hence its long history. You ski from one mountain bar/restaurant to another, using knowledge of the Zermatt lift system and pistes. The timetable of the Gornergrat railway (which, of course, is accurate to the nearest micro-second) is therefore useful. There's a bizarre and eccentric formula, based on amount of time at each stop, and amount of time skiing. Knowledge of that formula, and a bit of inside knowledge, is how you win!

Fancy dress is optional. Weather and conditions are, as always, in the gift of the gods, but Zermatt usually enjoys a good quota of fine days so the event often takes place in brilliant conditions. There's plenty of celebratory drinking afterwards. I thoroughly recommend it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you need to be a member of the SCGB to take part?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well thanks to Laura, the Ski Club chat site won, and that's only fair as it is a Ski Club event.

skanky wrote:
Do you need to be a member of the SCGB to take part?

I'll email laura and find out (quicker than a chat post I think).

I first heard about this 12 years ago when I was in Zermatt the week before. The Ski Club resort rep (Jim Parker, I think) took us on some interesting routes in the name of research for the forthcoming race. I promised myself then I would return to Zermatt and compete. Next year could be the year.

I'm not worried about winning, just taking part sounds a load of fun.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, I think that's why it's still going strong. In a bland world, people like the eccentricity of it and any excuse for exploring Zermatt's nooks and crannies is always worthwhile. A win would just be an excuse for an extra drink.

Good luck to anyone going for it. Research is the name of the game!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-04-04 12:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Surely it's organised by THE CLUB, so what's the likelihood of us knowing?

Valid point, but I wondered if more members now use this site than SCGB MO chat, certainly more response here.
-----------------------------------------------------
Anyway, back to the race...

The points formula is:

C = (R+A) X (M-L) /R

Where R = total time spent skiing/boarding between restaurants
A = number of minutes started after 08.30
M = minimum time spent in any one visit to a restaurant
L = number of minutes finished after 16.00
And C is the scoring factor, which from the looks of it you should be aiming high.

The event is for teams of two. There are two main categories:
Race - 11 restaurants
Trail - 7 restaurants.

These are the awards:
Race (visitors)
Trail (visitors)
Race (resort workers)
Trail (resort workers)
Best Boarders
Aggregate Age
Greatest Age Difference
Best Fancy Dress

Laura has already emailed a reply to Skanky's question
Laura wrote:

You don't have to be a member to participate in the Luttman-Johnson, but
there is a cheaper entrance fee for Ski Club members.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the reply. This might swing next year's destination choice for us. Sounds like a lot of fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy