Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria, New Year, recommendations sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Sorry for the banal enquiry, but you guys never fail.

So: Dec 27th, family 5 competent mix of skiers and boarders, ski-in accom sought, catered for one week.
Arbitrarily specified to find somewhere in Austria after 4 years of Sctoland and 3 years in France.
Because its a busy week on the slopes, the effectiveness of uplift/organisation is relatively critical.

Apres ski not neccesary, but picture postcard locality preferred. Plan to fly and hire rather than drive from UK this time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Iain
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strax, You need to look for accommodation now if you are booking for yourselves. Be prepared for many places to have no spare rooms as this years guests rebooked for next year as they paid. I do this along with all my German and Austrian friends, I believe it is fairly common with mainland Europeans as they do not often change resorts as much as Brits do.

Have you had a look at what the British TOs are offering as perhaps securing your resort and hotel of choice now with them may give you fewer headaches later on in terms of flights, transfers, ski/board etc!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New Years Week in Austria is the busiest week of the Season. Although Lifts in Austria are state of the art you can expect queues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jet 2 will get you from Leeds to Salzburg if you want to DIY. £150 each way will get you a pre-booked taxi to almost any resort in the Ski Amade area, or Saalbach-Hinteglemm, Leogang, Zell am See, Kaprun - journey times maximum 90 minutes. There is no need for a car in any of these resorts, and by the time you've paid for rental, fuel and parking you will have exceeded the cost of the taxi. Taxis and shuttles are listed by resort on the Salzburg Airport website.

Accommodation - start with the local tourist offices, who all have online enquiry services. E.g. www.saalbach.com

As Samerberg Sue, says, many places will already be booked for New Year, but you should get some options. I would also agree that a good bet might be the British TOs, who may have availability. Taking the Hotel Panther in Saalbach as a good quality benchmark, (2 minutes walk to two of the three main lifts in Saalbach; 5 minutes to the third lift) Crystal have availability. If you want something more upmarket, the Saalbacher Hof is just as well placed in the village - also through Crystal. Depending on the ages of the children, you may get a better deal if you go directly to the hotels, as they may offer family rooms and discounts that the TOs don't have, so look at the brochures then call the hotels directly. You can organise your own flights/transfers as above.

British-style catered chalets are less common in Austria than in France, but they do exist. Examples from Saalbach - Pension Enzian (book direct) or Ski Miquel's Chalet Christina.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 17-06-14 9:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're hiring a car the the Zillertal is ace. Not ski in/out but you can ski a different area each day on the one pass. Mayrhofen is the town with the biggest range of accomodation, Kaltenbach has the best skiing and is 10 minutes down the road.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Valkyrie, You can ski in/out if you stay here Happy
http://www.xn--schneekarhtte-5ob.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kuhtai - state of the art lifts, snowsure (highest village in Austria approx 2000m), pretty much all ski-in/out and picture postcard. Very popular with boarders as well as skiers. AFAIK - World class Superpipe - snowpark as well. Seems to pretty much tick all boxes.

EDIT- I may have been wrong on the lifts. :-l

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 24-06-14 11:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Guys,
Looks like Kuhtai or close by at the moment. Just trying to find accomodation (HB) at a reasonable price! Wow, its pricey after P+V Self catering in France!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kuhtai is great, but IMO it's more of a locals weekend resort (or multi resort, as it's part of the Innsbruck Olympia ski pass) than somewhere to go for a week, especially early Jan. High, bleak, no trees to escape into in bad weather, and unless you're touring or seeking out the offpiste stashes, I'm not sure the piste skiing is enough/good enough to keep most people happy for a whole week. Also if you want any form of NYE party there are definitely better places to be. Certainly wouldn't describe lifts as state of the art, though you won't haev any problem with queues.

It's pretty easy to avoid queues in Saalbach, as the lift system there really is state of the art, with several uplift points from the village.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did the Schneekarhutte before it went so upmarket, 16 of us in one big attic. My liver is still recovering 8 years on Smile

You can do ski in in Gerlos. Fly to Innsbruck, take train to Zell am Ziller then bus or taxi.
Another ski in-out would be

http://www.wedelhuette.at/kontakt/lage-anreise.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy